How long before the Titans start to rest Chris Johnson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How long before the Titans start to rest Chris Johnson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How long before the Titans start to rest Chris Johnson?

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to be realistic.

1. The guy is now at 203 carries on the year.
2. The Titans are now at 11-1 with a dominating 3 game lead in the AFC South, and can clinch the DIV with a single W.
3. LenWhale has been running pretty well the last few weeks.

Johnson maxed out his senior year at East Carolina with 236 carries, but had averaged only 129 carries prior to last year. He certainly looks strong, and seems less likely than some other rookie runners to hit the rookie wall, but it seems to me that TEN will begin to park him some these final 3 weeks to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs.

Anyone else worried about this?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How long before the Titans start to rest Chris Johnson?

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I've been wondering about this myself as a CJ owner. I really hope that Fisher doesn't choose to give the Whale more time... he's the one who really needs the rest. But I can see him going down the depth chart and using Chris Henry a bit more. It's bad enough that Lendel steals the goal line carries. If they start limiting his carries in the playoffs I could be in trouble. Hopefully we hear more about the situation soon!
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm

Just read this promising news.

Tennessee (9-0). So who's going to beat the Titans now? The remaining sked: at Jacksonville, Jets, at Detroit, Cleveland, at Houston, Pittsburgh, at Indianapolis. Imagine if the Titans are 15-0 heading into Indianapolis. I don't care if the Colts are in it, out of it or have a playoff seed wrapped up, Dungy will play his guys. As will Jeff Fisher. He told me after the game Sunday, "We'll play our players'' for 16

source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... k10/2.html
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ttwarrior1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:06 pm

uh tenn is not undefeated
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TGM » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 pm

That's obviously an old quote.

I don't have anything to base this on other than my own common sense, but I'd be willing to bet once they lock up home field advantage through the playoffs (assuming they do of course), that Fisher starts resting him. They have a two game lead over Pitt with four left to play. So, I think it's safe to count on him this weekend (Cleveland). And, probably next weekend as well (Houston). Week #16 is where I could see him sitting more, some, or completely. BTW, that's against none other than Pitt, so not a great match up anyway.

So, I wouldn't sweat it yet. But, I'd be making contingency plans for week #16 if you've been counting on him to be your #1 or #2 RB.

Just my $.02.
TGM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm

If the Steelers win the next 2 weeks then he won't rest at all during the fantasy season since Tennessee will need to beat Pittsburgh week 16 to avoid the Steelers potentially owning a H2H tiebreaker should the Steelers win out and Tenn lose both week 16 and 17.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby fantasizing » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Azrael wrote:If the Steelers win the next 2 weeks then he won't rest at all during the fantasy season since Tennessee will need to beat Pittsburgh week 16 to avoid the Steelers potentially owning a H2H tiebreaker should the Steelers win out and Tenn lose both week 16 and 17.

Precisely. That's the scenario that keeps CJ playing right through the fantasy playoffs.....and it is a very likely scenario.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:59 pm

TGM wrote:That's obviously an old quote.

I don't have anything to base this on other than my own common sense, but I'd be willing to bet once they lock up home field advantage through the playoffs (assuming they do of course), that Fisher starts resting him. They have a two game lead over Pitt with four left to play. So, I think it's safe to count on him this weekend (Cleveland). And, probably next weekend as well (Houston). Week #16 is where I could see him sitting more, some, or completely. BTW, that's against none other than Pitt, so not a great match up anyway.

So, I wouldn't sweat it yet. But, I'd be making contingency plans for week #16 if you've been counting on him to be your #1 or #2 RB.

Just my $.02.

The quote is from Nov 10th. It's not that old. Jeff was stating then that he'll be playing his guys - I assumed he meant his best, including CJ. for all games.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 am

Hopefully you have a better option lined up for week 16 anyways, that's all I got to say.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby sirchadwick1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 am

Kensat30 wrote:Hopefully you have a better option lined up for week 16 anyways, that's all I got to say.

I plan on putting CJ in there. I have Pierre Thomas and Justin Fargas on the bench.... but I don't see them doing any better.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk