Calculating Strength of Victory - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Calculating Strength of Victory

Moderator: Football Moderators

Calculating Strength of Victory

Postby elwoodxrl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Greetings,
Our league uses the NFL tie-breakers in order to determine playoff positioning. This year we have teams that could make it all the way through the tie-breaker rules to #5 which is "Strength of Victory." Does anyone know how to calculate that exactly? As an example using our league, we have three divisions of 4 teams. Each division team plays each other two times and all other teams in the league one time. (6 div games, 8 other games for a total of 14 games before the playoffs...top team in each division makes the playoffs, there is one wild-card team). So suppose two teams tie for the division. They split their two head-to-head games. They both have identical records in their division. The third tie-breaker is Winning percentage in common games and the fourth is Winning percentage in conference games. Since everyone plays everyone else, the two teams would have identical records in common games and conference games. So for strength of victory you take the winning percentage of teams that were beaten. My only real question is though, if you beat a division team twice, do you take their record into account two times since they were beaten twice, or just once? And what about a split in head-to-head games? Do you take that team's record one time or not at all since they also lost to that team? Hope that makes sense. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I searched for two days and couldn't find a conclusive answer.
elwoodxrl
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Calculating Strength of Victory

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:02 pm

I would have thought it could be found here, but I didn't see it:
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I belive this is your answer:

strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

So add up all the W's and all the L's of the teams that have been defeated by the team in question, calculcate a winning percentage, and that becomes the strength of victory value for the team in question.
Last edited by spodog on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Calculating Strength of Victory

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:09 am

No sean you're wasting your time...do you need a hug?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Return to Beginner's Forum