Michael Turner and the curse of 370 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Turner and the curse of 370

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Turner and the curse of 370

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 pm

Right now Turner is averaging 23.5 carries per game, and at this pace he would finish the year with 376 carries. Do you guys think that he may fall victim to the "curse of 370"? Turner is young, but Larry Johnson was pretty young with little mileage before his monster workload, and although the Chiefs are not a great offensive team, LJ himself has not been great either.

Any worries that Turner will be negatively affected next year? Or 3 years from now? Though this isn't a set-in-stone idea though, here's a link that disagrees with such an idea http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/07/drunkards-light-posts-and-myth-of-370.html

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Michael Turner and the curse of 370

Postby jp05ser » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 am

LJ has still shown flashes. I dont think you have to worry about Turner next year. The Falcons line seems pretty steady and Turner really hasnt gotten a lot of work(in SD) till this year. 3 years down the road...with this kinda work load...then i would def start to shy away... good to go with him next year though!!!
jp05ser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 am

Next year he will be fine, the year after I would worry, Turner is still like a rookie because these past few years he's been kept under wraps...I own him in a few dynasties so I will keep that in mind and may think of trading him at some point, but no time soon.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:52 am

LS2throwed wrote:Next year he will be fine, the year after I would worry, Turner is still like a rookie because these past few years he's been kept under wraps...I own him in a few dynasties so I will keep that in mind and may think of trading him at some point, but no time soon.

Agreed. I have him in one dynasty and I wouldn't think about moving him unless he received an unusually high workload next year as well.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:57 pm

It's definitely something to monitor and I generally subscribe to this theory when taking into account rankings and whatnot. Given the proclivity of injuries for those backs who surpass this mark it is not simply something I can ignore. If the Falcons make the playoffs and his carry total reaches 400 and beyond, I'll be real concerned. I own Turner in a keeper league and would like to see the Falcons scale back his workload a little bit. But given the overall lack of wear and tear over his career and his inactivity in the passing game I am optimistic he will be able to perform at a high level for the next couple seasons, but if they continue to work him as heavily as they have this year I am concerned about his shelf life as a productive RB.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby iamgregg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Remember Turner still has a rookie QB, who is coming on really nicely. I'd expect his work load to decrease as Matt Ryan gains experience.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:05 pm

I really don't understand why Norwood isn't in there more often.

Norwood has the potential to be better than a guy like Steve Slaton who is flourishing with more touches. This would lead me to believe that the coaching staff thinks that Turner not only can handle more touches, but that he benefits from more touches because the defense is wearing down. Turner is not only a fast and strong guy, his lower body is like pure muscle, he's big. The guy is a brick. He's like MJD that's carrying an extra 50 pounds.

It's almost like Turner doesn't use his top gear unless he is in the open field. He seems to save a lot of energy on each carry. Really the type of guy that can handle 30 carries and not be a big deal.

Has the guy even been on the injury report this year? It's rare, but some players in the NFL can play through pain and avoid major injuries for long stretches of time. Turner might be one of those guys.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I really don't understand why Norwood isn't in there more often.

Norwood has the potential to be better than a guy like Steve Slaton who is flourishing with more touches. This would lead me to believe that the coaching staff thinks that Turner not only can handle more touches, but that he benefits from more touches because the defense is wearing down. Turner is not only a fast and strong guy, his lower body is like pure muscle, he's big. The guy is a brick. He's like MJD that's carrying an extra 50 pounds.

It's almost like Turner doesn't use his top gear unless he is in the open field. He seems to save a lot of energy on each carry. Really the type of guy that can handle 30 carries and not be a big deal.

Has the guy even been on the injury report this year? It's rare, but some players in the NFL can play through pain and avoid major injuries for long stretches of time. Turner might be one of those guys.

He's built exactly like Jamal Anderson to me, but your right his lower body has a huge base and he runs with alot of power, I actually think Turner is more compact at one inch shorter and about 6 lbs heavier but both were in that 5'10 240 range...It boggles my mind as to why Norwood isn't used more but I expect him to walk because he could have a Leon Washington role on a team who would use him alot more ie Cleveland.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ngub12 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 pm

look at each individual situation. KC's offense has gotten progressively worse (especially after LJ's monster season). Atl's offense is good and will get even better next season (another year for Ryan, that offensive line, comfortability with the offensive scheme).

i dont find these two situations at all comparable. Turner will be a beast next year.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk