OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:52 am

I hoped for Oregon to beat Oregon State so we could play USC in the Rose Bowl, but it might just be that outcome which prevents Penn State from having ANY chance for the National Championship in this 2008-9 computer BCS era.

With USC now winning the Pac10, and being that they are rated above PSU, even if Missouri beats OK, PSU wouldn't get into the Championship game.

It is sad that even though PSU has a better record against common opponents, USC gets ranked above them. :-t

Potentially even worse would be if OK loses and then the BCS inserts a team which didn't even win its' conference.

A PSU victory in the Rose bowl over USC would be just one more cry for an NCAA Playoff to decide who is best on the field and not in the PC.

It now seems like every year, the BCS system for determing a National Championship becomes more and more a joke and a tainted trophy for the awarded team?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship?

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I hoped for Oregon to beat Oregon State so we could play USC in the Rose Bowl, but it might just be that outcome which prevents Penn State from having ANY chance for the National Championship in this 2008-9 computer BCS era.

With USC now winning the Pac10, and being that they are rated above PSU, even if Missouri beats OK, PSU wouldn't get into the Championship game.

It is sad that even though PSU has a better record against common opponents, USC gets ranked above them. :-t

Potentially even worse would be if OK loses and then the BCS inserts a team which didn't even win its' conference.

A PSU victory in the Rose bowl over USC would be just one more cry for an NCAA Playoff to decide who is best on the field and not in the PC.

It now seems like every year, the BCS system for determing a National Championship becomes more and more a joke and a tainted trophy for the awarded team?

PSU can prove the BCS wrong by beating USC in the Rose Bowl. They won't though because USC is the better team
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
PSU can prove the BCS wrong by beating USC in the Rose Bowl. They won't though because USC is the better team

Yeah I'm kinda thinking USC is going to crush Penn....I kinda think the Beavers would have too. :-?

I've been wrong before though.....lots of times. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:58 am

Not many people are supporters of the BCS but I don't think that Penn State not having a shot at the national title is a good argument this season. You may say it's unfair for PSU to be punished for Ohio State's failures in recent big games, but the fact is the Big 10 has done little to show they can run with the big boys and Penn State making it to the BCS title game would probably create more of an outcry against the system. Even though Penn State blew out an Oregon State team that beat USC, I don't see the Rose Bowl being close. I'm guessing USC wins by at least two touchdowns.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm

The problem with the BCS is that teams don't have to prove superiority over each other on the field anymore - and, sometimes even when they do, it doesn't matter. This can be shown by OK being ranked over Texas and USC being ranked over Penn State in spite of Texas beating OK and PSU trouncing OSU while USC lost to that same OSU team.

The BCS championship is a mishmash of coaching politics and rewarding poor sportsmanship by good teams trouncing bad ones.

The ONLY real way to determine a true National Championship is via an on the field playoff, IMO.

If the NFL used the BCS, the current champion NY Giants wouldn't even have had the chance to play in the SuperBowl against the Patriots.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ShoelessJoe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:The BCS championship is a mishmash of coaching politics and rewarding poor sportsmanship by good teams trouncing bad ones.

Oklahoma played a much tougher out of conference schedule this year as opposed to Texas and was rewarded because of it.

Teams are rewarded heavily for playing tough out of conference games as opposed to patsies. That's why the computer polls are used in the formula.

FantasySportsMaven wrote:The ONLY real way to determine a true National Championship is via an on the field playoff, IMO.

If the NFL used the BCS, the current champion NY Giants wouldn't even have had the chance to play in the SuperBowl against the Patriots.

The BCS is designed to field the two best teams after the regular season. It is not designed to see which team is playing the best at the moment. College football rewards a great regular season and makes its regular season the most important regular season in all of sports.

I could care less about the UCLA/Texas basketball game last night or the Michigan St/UNC game a few days ago. But you bet your ass I cared about OSU-USC earlier this year in football.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:13 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
FantasySportsMaven wrote:The BCS championship is a mishmash of coaching politics and rewarding poor sportsmanship by good teams trouncing bad ones.

Oklahoma played a much tougher out of conference schedule this year as opposed to Texas and was rewarded because of it.

Teams are rewarded heavily for playing tough out of conference games as opposed to patsies. That's why the computer polls are used in the formula.

FantasySportsMaven wrote:The ONLY real way to determine a true National Championship is via an on the field playoff, IMO.

The BCS is designed to field the two best teams after the regular season. It is not designed to see which team is playing the best at the moment. College football rewards a great regular season and makes its regular season the most important regular season in all of sports.

I could care less about the UCLA/Texas basketball game last night or the Michigan St/UNC game a few days ago. But you bet your ass I cared about OSU-USC earlier this year in football.

Absolutely, Shoeless!!! That deservers a bunch of ;-D .

FantasySportsMaven wrote:It is sad that even though PSU has a better record against common opponents, USC gets ranked above them.

I dont mean to call you out SportsMaven, but you epitomize how playoff proponents seem to have no problem contradicting themselves, and your argument is right in my wheelhouse.

--The NY Giants didn't win their divison. Dallas did.
--You want it decided on the field, huh? NY Giants lost to both Dallas TWICE and New England.
--Did beating Dallas on the THIRD try "prove" they were better than, Dallas? NOPE
--Did beating New England on the SECOND try prove they were the best team in the league that season? NOPE
--Did it prove that the NY Giants were the best playoff team? I would conced that.

**Why did NE have to win a playoff for us to be comfortable that they were the best team in the league last year? They beat the best the NFC and AFC had to offer and was 16-0. 16-0!!!!
But alas, due to NFL rules, 16 games isnt enough to give us a clear picture, so they had to play 3 more games, and finally, after going 18-0, they finally got picked off. Yep, they were truly second best, at best, last season. ;-7

##If last NFL season had been done the way its done in college, NE wouldve played GB for the title, and outside of a little bit of grumbling from Dallas, everyone wouldve been happy that the winner of that game would be crowned king.

++Outside of the season's where there have been split NCs or BYU's silly title, most fans I've talked to, at worst, and many times begrudingly, are satisfied that the most deserving team got crowned champion at the end of year. I dont know that you could say that for 2 out of the last 3 Super Bowls. (I havent researched all Super Bowls to determine if the "deserving" team based on the whole season won the Super Bowl.)

""What I wish is that most college playoff proponents would just admit that:
1. Above everything else, they want the entertainment value of the playoff. (Wow! Look these awesome matchups we get to see!)
2. It does devalue the "regular" season. (Nationally, FLA/'BAMA would only be about playoff seeding.)
3. It truly doesnt mean the most deserving team wins the playoff. (Supposedly, this is the reason a playoff is wanted. :-S )
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:45 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:If the NFL used the BCS, the current champion NY Giants wouldn't even have had the chance to play in the SuperBowl against the Patriots.

And there is little doubt in my mind that the New York Giants were not the best team in the NFL last year, not even close.

A playoff is the most fair system. It is absolutely NOT the best system for finding the "best" team. Even as a proponent of a playoff in college football, I will readily admit this.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:17 am

A playoff would have made two of the biggest games in the last few years (Michigan-OSU in 2006 and Florida-Alabama this year) meaningless.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:34 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:A playoff would have made two of the biggest games in the last few years (Michigan-OSU in 2006 and Florida-Alabama this year) meaningless.

Not to mention every Florida/Florida State game in the 90's.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to College Football