OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: OSU loses, No chance for PSU National Championship?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:48 pm

My buddy sent this to me. Pretty funny on the BCS

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II
US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented " France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 am

To be quite honest, I think USC has a pretty good shot at shutting Penn State out in the Rose Bowl. Don't get too giddy hoping for a Penn State win.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:16 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Because to me they looked like a much better team than they were their 2nd game of the season while Penn to me didn't look like the same team they were in that same game.

Totally agree. Also you have the cross the country factor. Teams that come east and play early games tend to get destroyed. Think Ca/Mary this year, and OSU/PSU. These guys are playing at what is 9 AM to there body. They just aren't ready and they get blown out early. Maryland was up 21 points before Cal could blink. OSU was down 28-0 just into in the second quarter. (The PSU game was at 3:30, but still that is early for these guys because they don't get there until the day before due to class. That is a tough thing to fly across country on a Friday and then play football the next day)

Could be that they have to go across the country...also could be that the Pac 10 is overrated...

Um OK....I still think Oregon State would throw a beat down on Penn State in the Rose Bowl.....and if that early season game was in Corvallis the outcome would have been different, maybe the end result would still have been a Beavs loss but the margin of victory would have been much more narrow.

I still say the Beavs are a much better team than they were at the beginning of the season while Penn has flattened out. Oh and the Pac-10 being overrated is really irrelevant and methinks saying so in this conversation seems like a weak attempt at smack talk.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 am

FantasySportsMaven wrote:After watching the games yesterday, I think Florida and OK are the teams which must play in the national championship game. Still, now I have a couple of observations/questions.

Stop Tebow, stop Florida.
Big 12 defenses suck.
OK is a scoring machine, but I'd like to see how they do against the Florida defense.
Penn State WILL beat USC and if I can get 12 points and PSU, I will be betting my paycheck on that one and using the winnings to take the family to next year's National Championship game where PSU will roar. :-D

You can get 10.5 points right now and I bet if you wait the line will only go up.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Metroid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Totally agree. Also you have the cross the country factor. Teams that come east and play early games tend to get destroyed. Think Ca/Mary this year, and OSU/PSU. These guys are playing at what is 9 AM to there body. They just aren't ready and they get blown out early. Maryland was up 21 points before Cal could blink. OSU was down 28-0 just into in the second quarter. (The PSU game was at 3:30, but still that is early for these guys because they don't get there until the day before due to class. That is a tough thing to fly across country on a Friday and then play football the next day)

Could be that they have to go across the country...also could be that the Pac 10 is overrated...

Um OK....I still think Oregon State would throw a beat down on Penn State in the Rose Bowl.....and if that early season game was in Corvallis the outcome would have been different, maybe the end result would still have been a Beavs loss but the margin of victory would have been much more narrow.

I still say the Beavs are a much better team than they were at the beginning of the season while Penn has flattened out. Oh and the Pac-10 being overrated is really irrelevant and methinks saying so in this conversation seems like a weak attempt at smack talk.

My team went 3-8 this year I need SOMETHING to smack talk about :-D

But in all seriousness, I really just don't think the Pac 10 is that good past USC. And the reason this is relevant is because I think that as a result, even if Oregon St. was at home, Penn St. would have beaten them badly and I think they'd do the same if they played in a bowl game.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Well we should find out in the bowls:

Oregon gets Ok St -- a Big 12 team that people are very high on

Cal gets Miami (Miami isn't great, but they have shown some promise)

Oregon State gets Pitt -- Great matchup with McCoy and Rodgers in this game.

Zona gets BYU

USC gets to crush PSU
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Metroid wrote:

But in all seriousness, I really just don't think the Pac 10 is that good past USC. And the reason this is relevant is because I think that as a result, even if Oregon St. was at home, Penn St. would have beaten them badly and I think they'd do the same if they played in a bowl game.

Yeah 3-8....ouch! :-D

I'm not going to tell you that the Pac-10 is a dominant conference, they rarely have more than 2 or 3 above average teams in a season and this year I agree there is only one in USC. None of that matters though, saying the Pac-10 is overrated has nothing to do with why the Beavers lost that game against Penn State....nothing. The Beavers hadn't found themselves yet and really didn't until they upset USC, they slipped the following week to a very good Utah team and then rolled through the rest of the Pac till they met the Oregon buzz saw....one win from the Rose bowl. For a team not expected to finish in the top half of the conference I'd say they exceeded expectations. And I agree with dee that traveling that far for a game does take it's toll on teams, add to that a lack of team chemistry and you get what we got.
Metroid

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Metroid wrote:
Metroid wrote:Um OK....I still think Oregon State would throw a beat down on Penn State in the Rose Bowl.....and if that early season game was in Corvallis the outcome would have been different, maybe the end result would still have been a Beavs loss but the margin of victory would have been much more narrow.

Yeah 3-8....ouch! :-D

I'm not going to tell you that the Pac-10 is a dominant conference, they rarely have more than 2 or 3 above average teams in a season and this year I agree there is only one in USC. None of that matters though, saying the Pac-10 is overrated has nothing to do with why the Beavers lost that game against Penn State....nothing. The Beavers hadn't found themselves yet and really didn't until they upset USC, they slipped the following week to a very good Utah team and then rolled through the rest of the Pac till they met the Oregon buzz saw....one win from the Rose bowl. For a team not expected to finish in the top half of the conference I'd say they exceeded expectations. And I agree with dee that traveling that far for a game does take it's toll on teams, add to that a lack of team chemistry and you get what we got.

I wasn't commenting specifically on OSU vs. PSU. I was saying the Pac 10 is overrated in response to the comment that it is very difficult for a west coast team to travel to the east coast, so I was saying that since the Pac 10 is generally worse than people think, it actually just appears that they are losing due to traveling, rather than just not being that good.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 pm

You know who's not good? :-?

Michigan. :-b

Couldn't help myself. :-B
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I wasn't commenting specifically on OSU vs. PSU. I was saying the Pac 10 is overrated in response to the comment that it is very difficult for a west coast team to travel to the east coast, so I was saying that since the Pac 10 is generally worse than people think, it actually just appears that they are losing due to traveling, rather than just not being that good.

The thing is it is the same phenomenon in the NFL. Teams tend to struggle when they come east. Denver at NE this year, SD at Carolina etc etc. This happens.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football