Suck it up Buffalonians - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Suck it up Buffalonians

Moderator: Football Moderators

Suck it up Buffalonians

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:54 am

The Bills are playing the Dolphins here in Toronto tomorrow and you cannot believe the amount of whining and complaining the Bills fans are doing.

Complaining about losing a home game, not getting to see a key matchup against Miami, the dome being closed so they lose homefield advantage etc. They complain about everything under the sun.

Admit it: we are saving your franchise. Personally, I think that we are suckers for shelling out $575 a ticket to see a sub-par team, but we are and it is saving your franchise. You have an amazing owner who is losing money to keep the team in Buffalo and now that he is in his 90s you need somebody else to help you keep the team in town and that somebody is us. We've been driving down to fill up Ralph Wilson stadium for decades and for once the team is coming here to return the favour. So stop your freakin whining and try a thank you for once.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Suck it up Buffalonians

Postby fantasizing » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:43 am

Last week they had home field advantage over another warm weather team (SF), and they still lost.
It's a lame excuse.

And the Toronto fans are definately getting ripped off. I wouldn't pay more than 25 bucks to watch the BIlls. They're just not that good.

The Bills organization are getting a ton of cash as incentive to have the game in TO, and these games over the next few years is what will keep Bills in Buffalo.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:07 pm

You're probably right Mookie; I really think Bills fans are just scared more than anything. The financial state of the Bills just sucks. And I'm a little scared about the fact that the Bills have to move a regular-season game to Toronto as a "quick-cash" deal to make money. It just doesn't seem like a good long-term plan (sure, now you can rip Toronto fans off at $575 per ticket. But can you next year? I also see no upside in this type of move financially. It's not like the Bills are going to increase their profit off the Toronto game in future years; the only way to do that is to move them to Toronto).

The whole situation just makes me really sad. I bet whoever takes over the Bills once Wilson dies has to move the team almost immediately. 46% of Buffalonians make less than 25,000 per year. Just 12% make more than $75,000. And Buffalo's already a small city (by NFL standards) to begin with. It's not that the team doesn't have fans that want to support them; it's that the fans don't have the money to support the team.... Why do you think the Bills have the cheapest ticket in the NFL?
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Buffalo Bill fans should be use to disappointment. See super bowl XXV - XXVIII
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:55 pm

This is the best thing to happen to Canada since forever.

I vote for throwing you guys a bone and letting you have the Bill's. They do have some loyal fans in New York, but America can afford to lose them. If they were in Canada back in the Jim Kelly era that would have been awesome. I can just imagine the headlines: "Battle of the Nations" and "Confirmed: Canada is America's little sister"
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:34 pm

Honestly, it's posts like this that make me wonder why we haven't invaded Canada yet. :-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TGM » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, as a life long Fins Fan, all I can say is thank you Canada! While the change in venue is certainly no guarantee of a win for my beloved Dolphins, I'm sure the boys from south FLA appreciate the controlled climate that the dome in Toronto has to offer. ;-D
TGM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Admit it: we are saving your franchise. Personally, I think that we are suckers for shelling out $575 a ticket to see a sub-par team, but we are and it is saving your franchise.

That is really the bottom line here.

TGM wrote:Well, as a life long Fins Fan, all I can say is thank you Canada! While the change in venue is certainly no guarantee of a win for my beloved Dolphins, I'm sure the boys from south FLA appreciate the controlled climate that the dome in Toronto has to offer. ;-D

I think it's a bit of a myth that the Bills have an advantage anymore playing in the cold weather. This isn't the Bills of the 90's. In the last few weeks, the Bills lost games at home in the cold to Cleveland and San Francisco (!!); last year in a critical game they had to win they lost in the snow 8-0 at Cleveland, and then the next week NYG came to Buffalo and pummeled them. Lots of the top players from the team are not really from the area, they'll probably like the dome too.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joejlitz » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Bills are playing the Dolphins here in Toronto tomorrow and you cannot believe the amount of whining and complaining the Bills fans are doing.

Complaining about losing a home game, not getting to see a key matchup against Miami, the dome being closed so they lose homefield advantage etc. They complain about everything under the sun.

Admit it: we are saving your franchise. Personally, I think that we are suckers for shelling out $575 a ticket to see a sub-par team, but we are and it is saving your franchise. You have an amazing owner who is losing money to keep the team in Buffalo and now that he is in his 90s you need somebody else to help you keep the team in town and that somebody is us. We've been driving down to fill up Ralph Wilson stadium for decades and for once the team is coming here to return the favour. So stop your freakin whining and try a thank you for once.

Aren't Bills fans distraught because there is the potential to lose their team to Toronto forever? I thought I read something about that. If my Eagles were to skip town, I would be scared and furious, too. Anyway, I've been to Buffalo and was impressed with the city and the fans and I would hate to see it lose the team.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 am

joejlitz wrote:Aren't Bills fans distraught because there is the potential to lose their team to Toronto forever? I thought I read something about that. If my Eagles were to skip town, I would be scared and furious, too.

That's the 'official' fear, yes. When you analyze the situation, though, there is really nothing for them to worry about. There are political forces on BOTH sides of the border who want to ensure that move never happens; there is no billionaire in Toronto looking to invest in this anymore; Toronto doesn't have a suitable stadium for full-time games; and consumer interest in this Bills series has only been luke-warm (that's about 99% attributable to the ridiculous prices, but still a fact--the game only 'sold out' this week).

Even if the team were to be moved it likely wouldn't be to Toronto--there are other American markets the NFL covets more first. And claiming Toronto as part of their market helps the Bills a lot in the short-term, gives them a major cash infusion they need so that they are viable where they are--these games in Toronto will do significantly more to help the team stay where it is than to move it.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk