Week 15 Games Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Week 15 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:14 pm

The SEC is down this year, but they are by no means overrated IMO. I think all of college football was more or less a bit average this season. Seriously, after FL, OK, TX, Bama, TT, USC it gets pretty mediocre and I could see any of the next in the top 25 beating anyone
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:31 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:The SEC is down this year, but they are by no means overrated IMO. I think all of college football was more or less a bit average this season. Seriously, after FL, OK, TX, Bama, TT, USC it gets pretty mediocre and I could see any of the next in the top 25 beating anyone


Did you intentionally leave Penn St. off that list? I mean, I know that you hate the big 10 more than anyone I've ever seen, but still, Penn St. is a pretty good team this year.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby Sandrock » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 pm

The regular season is over, why not make the post now? I could have made the post before the SEC championship game was played, because the only top flight teams from the SEC played in it this year. No matter who won the game both teams would be finishing in your end of the regular season top 5.

We've heard all year how down the ACC, Pac-10 and Big East were this year, but the SEC was incredibly mediocre outside of Alabama and Florida and yet we hear nothing about that. Why is that? Has the SEC really become such a juggernaut that sportswriters are afraid to kick them when they're down?
Image
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1422
Joined: 1 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Reser Stadium; lamenting the D-Line for 2011

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:The SEC is down this year, but they are by no means overrated IMO. I think all of college football was more or less a bit average this season. Seriously, after FL, OK, TX, Bama, TT, USC it gets pretty mediocre and I could see any of the next in the top 25 beating anyone


Did you intentionally leave Penn St. off that list? I mean, I know that you hate the big 10 more than anyone I've ever seen, but still, Penn St. is a pretty good team this year.


I don't hate the Big 10, far from it actually, I just think they don't play other conferences well right now. I actually grew up a big OSU fan 8-o , my entire family is from Ohio. I love football and think I am just looking at the games/teams from my angle. With that said, I left PSU off on purpose because I think they fall into the category that they could beat anyone else in the top 25 not named the above 6, but could also lose. OSU is the same way for me. I think OSU could beat PSU on any given day, and the PSU/OSU game should confirm that. PSU won, but that was by far the worst game Pryor played all season. I think OKST could beat PSU, but I could see the other way as well. Now that I think about it, I may even take TT off that list because I could see them losing to some other teams as well. I think the top 2 SEC and top 2 Big 12, plus USC, are just better than everyone else and I have a hard time seeing any of them losing to the rest of the top 25 times more then say 20 out of a 100, whereas I could flip a coin after those 5 for the remaing matchups.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Sandrock wrote:The regular season is over, why not make the post now? I could have made the post before the SEC championship game was played, because the only top flight teams from the SEC played in it this year. No matter who won the game both teams would be finishing in your end of the regular season top 5.

We've heard all year how down the ACC, Pac-10 and Big East were this year, but the SEC was incredibly mediocre outside of Alabama and Florida and yet we hear nothing about that. Why is that? Has the SEC really become such a juggernaut that sportswriters are afraid to kick them when they're down?


My opinion (of the big 6)
Deepest conference: ACC
Best conference at the top: Big 12
Worst Conference from top to bottom: Pac-10

If I had to rank the conferences as far as quality from top to bottom:
BIg 12
ACC
SEC
Big 10
Big East
Pac 1

How you rank conferences is a tough conversation. If you rank them on the quality of their champion I think that skews data because then the Pac-10 would probably be the best conference of the last decade because USC has been so good. But if you go depth you get situations like this year where the ACC has no top 5 team, but is clearly the deepest conference. I think it has to be a combination of both.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1621
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:The SEC is down this year, but they are by no means overrated IMO. I think all of college football was more or less a bit average this season. Seriously, after FL, OK, TX, Bama, TT, USC it gets pretty mediocre and I could see any of the next in the top 25 beating anyone


Did you intentionally leave Penn St. off that list? I mean, I know that you hate the big 10 more than anyone I've ever seen, but still, Penn St. is a pretty good team this year.


I don't hate the Big 10, far from it actually, I just think they don't play other conferences well right now. I actually grew up a big OSU fan 8-o , my entire family is from Ohio. I love football and think I am just looking at the games/teams from my angle. With that said, I left PSU off on purpose because I think they fall into the category that they could beat anyone else in the top 25 not named the above 6, but could also lose. OSU is the same way for me. I think OSU could beat PSU on any given day, and the PSU/OSU game should confirm that. PSU won, but that was by far the worst game Pryor played all season. I think OKST could beat PSU, but I could see the other way as well. Now that I think about it, I may even take TT off that list because I could see them losing to some other teams as well. I think the top 2 SEC and top 2 Big 12, plus USC, are just better than everyone else and I have a hard time seeing any of them losing to the rest of the top 25 times more then say 20 out of a 100, whereas I could flip a coin after those 5 for the remaing matchups.


I was actually going to comment on TT, but since you said you could take them off the list, I'm a lot more okay with the original comment. I personally like PSU over TT this year. But if you just want the top 2 from the SEC and Big 12 + USC, then that's fine.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Week 15 Games Talk

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 am

Sandrock wrote:The regular season is over, why not make the post now? I could have made the post before the SEC championship game was played, because the only top flight teams from the SEC played in it this year. No matter who won the game both teams would be finishing in your end of the regular season top 5.

We've heard all year how down the ACC, Pac-10 and Big East were this year, but the SEC was incredibly mediocre outside of Alabama and Florida and yet we hear nothing about that. Why is that? Has the SEC really become such a juggernaut that sportswriters are afraid to kick them when they're down?


I'm not sure what you're listening to. On ESPN Radio before the SEC Championship game they said Alabama wasn't any better than Utah or Boise because the MWC was better than the SEC this year.

Really though, you can make an argument that every conference sucks this year. Heck, when you really dig down into it and overlook the glamour, the ACC may have the best argument for being the best conference this year and they were considered not even worthy of being named a BCS conference early in the year. You could even make an argument against the Big 12, who has those teams at the top, but except for Oklahoma all their good wins are against each other (although Ok St and Mizzou don't really have ANY good wins) and outside of Oklahoma the entire conference barely has a meaningful out of conference win. They beat up on a bunch of teams that went a combined 2-7 against those barely BCS conference worthy ACC/Big East opponents.

On the flipside, I do think some people give the SEC The benefit of the doubt sometimes, especially since we've heard the whole "the SEC is down this year" thing before only to watch them roll off their usual 7-3 or 8-2 bowl season record where they beat some of the teams that were supposedly leagues ahead. I don't think that'll happen this year, but who knows.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Previous

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 0:10 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact