Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Red = Rumored to be targeted or interested
Green = Hired

Auburn -- Gene Chizik -- Former ISU HC

Bowling Green --

Clemson -- Dabo Sweeney - former Clemson OC and interim coach.

Eastern Michigan -- Glen Mason, former Minnesota HC, Mark Farley, Northern Iowa HC, Scott Shafer, Michigan DC, Joe Moorhead, Akron OC

Iowa State --

Kansas State -- Bill Snyder - Former Kansas State Coach

Miami (OH) -- Michigan defensive coordinator Scott Shafer

Mississippi State -- Dan Mullen -- Former UF OC

New Mexico -- Mike Locksley -- Former Illinois OC

New Mexico State -- UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker.

San Diego State -- Dennis Franchione, Gary Barnett, Glen Mason

Syracuse -- Doug Marrone -- Former Saints OC

Tennessee -- Lane Kiffen - Former Oakland Head Coach

Toledo -- Tim Beckman - former OK St DC

Utah State -- Gary Andersen - former DC for Utah

Washington -- Steve Sarkisian -- former USC OC

Wyoming -- Dave Christensen - Former Missouri OC
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 am

Dan Mullen spoke with Mississippi State about filling the spot left open when Sylvester Croom resigned earlier this month.

Dan McCarney has looked at New Mexico job.

Mullen is UF's OC and McCarney is the DL coach at Florida.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Auburn ---

Buffalo's Turner Gill, Ball State's Brady Hoke, Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp and Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher already have been contacted - or will be.

Syracuse

It is believed East Carolina coach Skip Holtz is a front-runner, but Holtz twice responded to texts from Rivals.com on Sunday, saying he had not met with any schools before to the Pirates' C-USA title matchup at Tulsa. But it is believed Holtz will meet with Syracuse officials while in New York early this week for functions involving his father's induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.

There were reports that Syracuse would talk to New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, but Gilbride removed his name from consideration Monday.

Buffalo's Turner Gill also is thought to be a target, and we confirmed that Syracuse has spoken with Harvard coach Tim Murphy.

Mississippi State

Mississippi State looking for offense-minded guy?

Don't be surprised if the Mississippi State search focuses on a coach with an offensive background.

A source close to Louisiana Tech coach Derek Dooley says he isn't interested. Keep an eye on New York Jets wide receivers coach Noel Mazzone (a former Auburn and Ole Miss offensive coordinator), Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson and Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong. It also has been reported that Florida offensive coordinator Dan Mullen is a target and has spoken with school officials.

Former Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione is a leading candidate at San Diego State.
A guy who could emerge is Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:03 pm

I read that Meyer gave McCarney an endorsement for the NM job and stated that Mullen has spoken to MSU, but he is not a finalist for the job.

I read that Charlie Strong was rumored to be a candidate for the Auburn job, but decided against interviewing for personal reasons.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Rivals:

Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer
Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley will be the next head coach at New Mexico, Rivals.com has learned.

Locksley has been offensive coordinator at Illinois since 2005 under Ron Zook. Before that, Locksley was running backs coach/recruiting coordinator at Florida from 2003-04. From 1997-2002, Locksley was an assistant at Maryland.

yes. No McCarney ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:31 am

With MSU and Syracuse both getting new coaches the only big job left is Auburn. I am not sure Turner Gil is going to get Auburn and from the sounds of it he won't. I don't see him taking any of those other jobs, so I guess he will stay at Buffalo. Sucks, I want to see what the guy can do at a bigger school. He turned the worst team in Division I football around to a MAC Champion.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Gene Chizik?!!!?!?!!! Where the heck did this hire come from? And what happened to him "turning around" Iowa State?

This caught me completely off guard. Wow.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01 am

knapplc wrote:Gene Chizik?!!!?!?!!! Where the heck did this hire come from? And what happened to him "turning around" Iowa State?

I had heard it rumored a few days ago. It seems that Auburn was looking to bring back some guys that were either on the staff before (Muschamp, Chizkik) or guys that have been in the SEC (Fisher). As far as him leaving ISU, not surprised. Coaches say stuff like that all the time, but when a better opportunity comes along they are gone. Erickson said the same thing about Idaho when he took the job and then left the next year for ASU.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Ball St. coach Brady Hoke to San Diego St. Weird move by Hoke IMO.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:31 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Gene Chizik?!!!?!?!!! Where the heck did this hire come from? And what happened to him "turning around" Iowa State?

I had heard it rumored a few days ago. It seems that Auburn was looking to bring back some guys that were either on the staff before (Muschamp, Chizkik) or guys that have been in the SEC (Fisher). As far as him leaving ISU, not surprised. Coaches say stuff like that all the time, but when a better opportunity comes along they are gone. Erickson said the same thing about Idaho when he took the job and then left the next year for ASU.

Clearly, this hire was due to racism. This was Turner Gill's job, but his skin color, coupled with his wife's skin color would not be tolerated by the biggotist, bourgeois, facist regime that is the Auburn Tigers!

Right, Knapp? ;-7 ;-)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to College Football