Coaching Carousel 2008-09 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:22 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Gene Chizik?!!!?!?!!! Where the heck did this hire come from? And what happened to him "turning around" Iowa State?

This caught me completely off guard. Wow.


I had heard it rumored a few days ago. It seems that Auburn was looking to bring back some guys that were either on the staff before (Muschamp, Chizkik) or guys that have been in the SEC (Fisher). As far as him leaving ISU, not surprised. Coaches say stuff like that all the time, but when a better opportunity comes along they are gone. Erickson said the same thing about Idaho when he took the job and then left the next year for ASU.



Clearly, this hire was due to racism. This was Turner Gill's job, but his skin color, coupled with his wife's skin color would not be tolerated by the biggotist, bourgeois, facist regime that is the Auburn Tigers!

Right, Knapp? ;-7 ;-)


I am not saying one way or another, but I heard about 2 or 3 weeks ago that the reason Charlie Strong didn't interview with the job was due to feedback he received about problems the alums may have that his wife was white also. That is why I wrote earlier in this thread that Strong decided not to interview for personal reasons.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:50 am

While not impossible, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Auburn hired Chizik over Gill because Turner's wife is White.

The fact is that Chizik is "part of the family" at Auburn, and Gill is a complete outsider. Programs hire "in family" all the time.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 am

knapplc wrote:While not impossible, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that Auburn hired Chizik over Gill because Turner's wife is White.

The fact is that Chizik is "part of the family" at Auburn, and Gill is a complete outsider. Programs hire "in family" all the time.


Yea, I wasn't saying that was the reason. I was merely commenting on the fact that I found it iteresting that I heard an identical story about why Strong did not even want to interview for the position.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

I gotcha, Dee. ;-D
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm

More about what I was saying on Charlie Strong:

MIAMI -- Florida Gators defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes race is a reason he hasn't been offered a head-coaching job during his 25 years in college football, a newspaper reported Tuesday

Strong, a 48-year-old black man, shook his head affirmatively when an Orlando Sentinel reporter asked him if his interracial marriage was a factor in getting passed over for jobs, including one at a Southern school a few years ago. Strong, whose wife is white, said he heard that too many times for it to be rumor.


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3813793
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:More about what I was saying on Charlie Strong:

MIAMI -- Florida Gators defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes race is a reason he hasn't been offered a head-coaching job during his 25 years in college football, a newspaper reported Tuesday

Strong, a 48-year-old black man, shook his head affirmatively when an Orlando Sentinel reporter asked him if his interracial marriage was a factor in getting passed over for jobs, including one at a Southern school a few years ago. Strong, whose wife is white, said he heard that too many times for it to be rumor.


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3813793


So every time that a black coach doesn't get hired it's racism? :-?

It couldn't just be that someone else is better suited for the job?
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:58 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:More about what I was saying on Charlie Strong:

MIAMI -- Florida Gators defensive coordinator Charlie Strong believes race is a reason he hasn't been offered a head-coaching job during his 25 years in college football, a newspaper reported Tuesday

Strong, a 48-year-old black man, shook his head affirmatively when an Orlando Sentinel reporter asked him if his interracial marriage was a factor in getting passed over for jobs, including one at a Southern school a few years ago. Strong, whose wife is white, said he heard that too many times for it to be rumor.


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3813793


So every time that a black coach doesn't get hired it's racism? :-?

It couldn't just be that someone else is better suited for the job?


As I have said a couple times throughout the thread, I am not talking in all terms, but I am speaking to Charlie Strong and this confirms the rumors I heard. The guy is telling you that he has heard many times from other coaches that he did not get get a job because his wife is white. I have to believe if he has heard it that many times there is some truth to it for HIM.

Second, IMO there aren't many better suited for a job than Charlie. He has 5 SEC titles as a DC. He has a NC and maybe a second. Since 2003 Florida's defense has averaged 19th in the country and twice in the last three years they have been in the top 6 in the country. The guy has sent numerous defensive players to the NFL. He is qualified and there is some reason HE is not getting a job.

Lastly, as I said earlier, there is no way anyone can tell me Chizik is better suited for the job than Turner Gil or Charlie Strong. Like I said though, I think part of that was he was part of the Auburn family, but I cannot just let the rumors I have heard, and now have been confirmed, just go in one ear and out the other. I am the last person to complain about someone not getting a job because someone else was better qualified, or even maybe a bit worse, but someone felt more comfortable with that person. IMO, with Strong that has not been the case and I think the Auburn thing is also a bit strange.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:49 pm

Minnesota just hired former Wisconsin, former Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove to be their co-DC with Ronnie Lee.

To borrow a line from the Lincoln paper's website: I don't know who Minnesota's opening-day opponent is, but I think they just scored.

I wish Coach Cosgrove well, but I'm glad we have Bo. :-°
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:29 pm

The fact that Charlie Strong doesn't have a job is ludacris. He has been the defensive coordinator for the two Florida teams that have impressed defensively on the highest stage possible winning two National Titles behind the strength of his defenses. I am not fond of the Rooney Rule nor do I usually think there is as much racism/discrimination as people publicize but something has to be going on here...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1621
Joined: 1 Oct 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:The fact that Charlie Strong doesn't have a job is ludacris. He has been the defensive coordinator for the two Florida teams that have impressed defensively on the highest stage possible winning two National Titles behind the strength of his defenses. I am not fond of the Rooney Rule nor do I usually think there is as much racism/discrimination as people publicize but something has to be going on here...


Agree 100%.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:38 hours
(and 42 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact