Coaching Carousel 2008-09 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Coaching Carousel 2008-09

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:The fact that Charlie Strong doesn't have a job is ludacris. He has been the defensive coordinator for the two Florida teams that have impressed defensively on the highest stage possible winning two National Titles behind the strength of his defenses. I am not fond of the Rooney Rule nor do I usually think there is as much racism/discrimination as people publicize but something has to be going on here...

Agree 100%.

Yeah, I just posted on Gatorsports yesterday that he must prefer being a coordinator or something, because there's no way this guy should not have been hired not only to be a coach by now, but to be a coach of a major college football program by now.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:The fact that Charlie Strong doesn't have a job is ludacris. He has been the defensive coordinator for the two Florida teams that have impressed defensively on the highest stage possible winning two National Titles behind the strength of his defenses. I am not fond of the Rooney Rule nor do I usually think there is as much racism/discrimination as people publicize but something has to be going on here...

Agree 100%.

Yeah, I just posted on Gatorsports yesterday that he must prefer being a coordinator or something, because there's no way this guy should not have been hired not only to be a coach by now, but to be a coach of a major college football program by now.

I am not sure he "prefers" it, not at all. Meyer was pretty freaking fired up in his press conference the other day when he was asked why Strong was not a head coach yet. He got visibly angry when they asked why someone didn't hire him and Meyer went off for a minute and then said he didn't want to ruin the day because Strong is being essentially screwed.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Here was a portion of it (can't post it all b/c it is subscriber stuff from Rivals) -- This is from the presser though so it is available other places

"It kind of angers me sometimes. I've been involved in those phone calls and I can tell on the other end, talking to a deaf ear. I'm busy and I don't have time to talk to you unless you're interested. Don't play people. I need to be careful. I'm going to get very angry here in a minute and I shouldn't be here. That's how much I care about Charlie Strong."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 am

Agree. I don't know if it's racism as much as... stupidity? I don't know. His race certainly has to be considered I guess. The man seems pretty well qualified.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 am

knapplc wrote:Agree. I don't know if it's racism as much as... stupidity? I don't know. His race certainly has to be considered I guess. The man seems pretty well qualified.

I did forget one thing about Strong when I made my initial statement. Strong refuses to go to places to interview (he has in the past done such and thinks that schools just do it to interview a minority coach without giving him a chance). That may be playing a role as well.

But honestly, who needs a defensive coordinator when you can get Gene Chizik!
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:Agree. I don't know if it's racism as much as... stupidity? I don't know. His race certainly has to be considered I guess. The man seems pretty well qualified.

I did forget one thing about Strong when I made my initial statement. Strong refuses to go to places to interview (he has in the past done such and thinks that schools just do it to interview a minority coach without giving him a chance). That may be playing a role as well.

Well, if he's not willing to go out and do the interview and show interest in the job, he doesn't have a ton to complain about...

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

Well, if he's not willing to go out and do the interview and show interest in the job, he doesn't have a ton to complain about...

I disagree and I will give you a great example of why. Raheem Morris from TB went and interview for a couple jobs this offseason and we all knew he wasn't getting those jobs. They only did it because they had to in order to comply with the Rooney rule. Here, Strong knows they have no real intention of giving him the job they just want to be able to say they interviewed a black guy for the job so they don't look racist. Why should he be forced to go through with that just to be able to make a statement about how this process is working right now? He is told by other coaches in the SEC, or boosters that he is not a real candidate for the job. Urban even said in that article that HE can tell that no one is paying attention on the other line of the phone when he calls them up to talk about interviewing with Strong.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:08 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I disagree and I will give you a great example of why. Raheem Morris from TB went and interview for a couple jobs this offseason and we all knew he wasn't getting those jobs. They only did it because they had to in order to comply with the Rooney rule. Here, Strong knows they have no real intention of giving him the job they just want to be able to say they interviewed a black guy for the job so they don't look racist. Why should he be forced to go through with that just to be able to make a statement about how this process is working right now? He is told by other coaches in the SEC, or boosters that he is not a real candidate for the job. Urban even said in that article that HE can tell that no one is paying attention on the other line of the phone when he calls them up to talk about interviewing with Strong.

If I had a nickel for every time someone filed discrimination charges and their evidence was "they just knew it was discrimination," I'd be able to retire already. If this is the excuse, it's exceedingly weak sauce.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:42 pm

knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I disagree and I will give you a great example of why. Raheem Morris from TB went and interview for a couple jobs this offseason and we all knew he wasn't getting those jobs. They only did it because they had to in order to comply with the Rooney rule. Here, Strong knows they have no real intention of giving him the job they just want to be able to say they interviewed a black guy for the job so they don't look racist. Why should he be forced to go through with that just to be able to make a statement about how this process is working right now? He is told by other coaches in the SEC, or boosters that he is not a real candidate for the job. Urban even said in that article that HE can tell that no one is paying attention on the other line of the phone when he calls them up to talk about interviewing with Strong.

If I had a nickel for every time someone filed discrimination charges and their evidence was "they just knew it was discrimination," I'd be able to retire already. If this is the excuse, it's exceedingly weak sauce.

come on now Knapp, if you hear something enough times over the course of time it is bound to be true. Couple that with him being told by other coaches in the SEC and boosters from those same schools that this is the case and I find it hard to believe this is a case of him not getting the job. As I have said multiple times too, show me someone with his resume that hasn't gotten a shot at a great school by now
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

come on now Knapp, if you hear something enough times over the course of time it is bound to be true. Couple that with him being told by other coaches in the SEC and boosters from those same schools that this is the case and I find it hard to believe this is a case of him not getting the job. As I have said multiple times too, show me someone with his resume that hasn't gotten a shot at a great school by now

I still don't think that he should just not do an interview because of hearsay about his chances of getting the job. Maybe he doesn't have a great shot at getting these jobs, but he has no chance whatsoever if he doesn't try. If he's not willing to interview, I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to College Football