2008 Bowl Game Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Bowl Game Talk

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 pm

One of my favorite plays from that game, close to PI
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 pm

I've been looking at that all year. At one point Nebraska had the #1 SOS after playing VA Tech, Missouri, TTech and Oklahoma. Now it's at 40-something. 8-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:35 pm

Quite a satisfying season for the Hokies after losing so many to the NFL last year. 5th straight 10 win season, the emergence of freshman Darren Evans, finally some passing attack the last few games of the year as the group of all freshmen wide-outs starting to gain momentum. Scary thing is our best running back (by many players accounts) spent the year red shirting. Got some great OOC match-ups next year- Alabama, Nebraska, East Carolina, man I can't wait for September. :-°
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:01 am

Mugrila wrote:Quite a satisfying season for the Hokies after losing so many to the NFL last year. 5th straight 10 win season, the emergence of freshman Darren Evans, finally some passing attack the last few games of the year as the group of all freshmen wide-outs starting to gain momentum. Scary thing is our best running back (by many players accounts) spent the year red shirting. Got some great OOC match-ups next year- Alabama, Nebraska, East Carolina, man I can't wait for September. :-°

That Bama/VT game opens the season. SHould be a great game. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 pm

knapplc wrote:I would love to see Florida/USC too.

Think about an eight-team playoff this year featuring these first-round matchups:

1. Oklahoma vs. 8. Penn State
2. Florida vs. 7. Texas Tech
3. Texas vs. 6. Utah
4. Alabama vs. 5. USC

So you'd want a playoff system that excludes the Champions of two of the six BCS conferences, and all but one non-BC conference? How is that any fairer? It would still have left an unbeaten Boise on the outside.

Plus-one model.

Fla vs Texas.
OK vs Utah.
USC vs Penn State.
VT vs Cincy.

Winner of Fla/TX gets into NC game... OK get in if they beat Utah, otherwise presumably goes down to voters/computers choosing between Utah and USC.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 pm

BritSox wrote:So you'd want a playoff system that excludes the Champions of two of the six BCS conferences, and all but one non-BC conference? How is that any fairer? It would still have left an unbeaten Boise on the outside.

Plus-one model.

Fla vs Texas.
OK vs Utah.
USC vs Penn State.
VT vs Cincy.

Winner of Fla/TX gets into NC game... OK get in if they beat Utah, otherwise presumably goes down to voters/computers choosing between Utah and USC.

I didn't say that at all. I took the top eight in the BCS standings and paired them up, that's all.

I'm curious why you pair Texas and Florida when Oklahoma was #1 in the BCS and won their conference.

The BCS is FAAAAAAR more messed up than I'm getting into at the moment. There are way, WAY more considerations to take into account before we start trying to figure out the most fair way to determine a champion. Don't take my comments lately too literally.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 am

knapplc wrote:
BritSox wrote:So you'd want a playoff system that excludes the Champions of two of the six BCS conferences, and all but one non-BC conference? How is that any fairer? It would still have left an unbeaten Boise on the outside.

Plus-one model.

Fla vs Texas.
OK vs Utah.
USC vs Penn State.
VT vs Cincy.

I didn't say that at all. I took the top eight in the BCS standings and paired them up, that's all.

You didn't SAY it, but it's plain as day that that's the implication, since your playoff DOES exclude those teams.

I'm curious why you pair Texas and Florida when Oklahoma was #1 in the BCS and won their conference.

Conference winners go to the respective tie-in bowls: FL to sugar, OK to Fiesta, PSU and USC to Rose, VT to Orange. Then of the remaining three (Tex, Utah, Cincy) sugar bowl picks first, and takes Texas, Fiesta Bowl second (picks Utah) and the Orange Bowl, as the host of the NC game, picks last and is left with Cincy. I don't see how OK being #1 at that point is relevant? As Big XII champs, they go to the Fiesta bowl automatically.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 am

BritSox wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Plus-one model.

Fla vs Texas.
OK vs Utah.
USC vs Penn State.
VT vs Cincy.

You didn't SAY it, but it's plain as day that that's the implication, since your playoff DOES exclude those teams.

Conference winners go to the respective tie-in bowls: FL to sugar, OK to Fiesta, PSU and USC to Rose, VT to Orange. Then of the remaining three (Tex, Utah, Cincy) sugar bowl picks first, and takes Texas, Fiesta Bowl second (picks Utah) and the Orange Bowl, as the host of the NC game, picks last and is left with Cincy. I don't see how OK being #1 at that point is relevant? As Big XII champs, they go to the Fiesta bowl automatically.

Get over yourself. You're making a huge deal out of nothing.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

So that's the answer for anyone who has an opinion on a playoff, is it Knapp?

BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:45 am

BritSox wrote:So that's the answer for anyone who has an opinion on a playoff, is it Knapp?

Huh? He's a playoff supporter too. He just randomly took the top eight BCS teams to use in his example, thats all.

Did you see knapp said this?
Don't take my comments lately too literally.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to College Football