2008 Bowl Game Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008 Bowl Game Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Bowl Game Talk

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 am

Metroid wrote:
BritSox wrote:So that's the answer for anyone who has an opinion on a playoff, is it Knapp?

Huh? He's a playoff supporter too. He just randomly took the top eight BCS teams to use in his example, thats all.

I'm confused, too. Brit and I aren't arguing, we're on the same side of this. We both want a playoff. I just chose some two-second random example to illustrate what one might look like, that's all. This is some kind of misunderstanding. Gotta be. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:31 am

Y'all can rag on me since I'm anti-playoff, at least in 99.9% of the scenarios I've seen. Playoffs dont' prove who the best is. Were seeing it again in the NFL this year with the Cards. They game nowhere close to proving that they were the best team in the NFC this year, but get 'em in a playoff, and voala, we have a totally different team.

Give me 10 12-team conference winners, put them in a playoff, and I'd mostly fine with it. Just about any playoff scenario that is tried will be boondoggled by the NCAA/bowl/network powers, and we'll all wonder what the heck happened.

If a playoff were to be implemented, I'd like to see it start within 2 weeks of the regular season. This month off before bowl games is skeweing the regular season results. I dont buy that Ole Miss is better than TT, at least not near in the way that game played out. LSU +32 over GT? There were other "surprises". Have these teams play one week after the conference championship games and the results are probably closer to whats expected.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Y'all can rag on me since I'm anti-playoff, at least in 99.9% of the scenarios I've seen. Playoffs dont' prove who the best is. Were seeing it again in the NFL this year with the Cards. They game nowhere close to proving that they were the best team in the NFC this year, but get 'em in a playoff, and voala, we have a totally different team.

Give me 10 12-team conference winners, put them in a playoff, and I'd mostly fine with it. Just about any playoff scenario that is tried will be boondoggled by the NCAA/bowl/network powers, and we'll all wonder what the heck happened.

If a playoff were to be implemented, I'd like to see it start within 2 weeks of the regular season. This month off before bowl games is skeweing the regular season results. I dont buy that Ole Miss is better than TT, at least not near in the way that game played out. LSU +32 over GT? There were other "surprises". Have these teams play one week after the conference championship games and the results are probably closer to whats expected.

Playoffs aren't necessarily meant to find out who the best team is. They are meant to give every team that had an outstanding season a chance to win the championship, which the current system doesn't do.

I do agree with the last part though. IMO it should be 1 bye week for everyone and then playoffs the next weekend.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Playoffs are designed to determine a champion. We know the playoff system is the best way to determine this because, over the last 10,000 years of organized sport, nobody has come up with anything better. Every major and minor sport since the Greeks first held the Olympics have used a form of a playoff format to determine champions.

Why the NCAA is making us debate this in 2009 is beyond me. It's a pretty clear-cut situation.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Y'all can rag on me since I'm anti-playoff, at least in 99.9% of the scenarios I've seen. Playoffs dont' prove who the best is. Were seeing it again in the NFL this year with the Cards. They game nowhere close to proving that they were the best team in the NFC this year, but get 'em in a playoff, and voala, we have a totally different team.

Had they played that game sooner it would have been worse for TT because Crabtree would still have been injured and they would have been without Harrell because of his hand. Ole Miss was the better team and playing later gave TT an advantage if anything.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Had they played that game sooner it would have been worse for TT because Crabtree would still have been injured and they would have been without Harrell because of his hand. Ole Miss was the better team and playing later gave TT an advantage if anything.

The single most important thing to TT is their timing. That got thrown WAY off by their huge lag time, and it showed quite clearly in that game. Ole Miss was the better team THAT DAY. I would not for a second tell you they were ALL SEASON.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Had they played that game sooner it would have been worse for TT because Crabtree would still have been injured and they would have been without Harrell because of his hand. Ole Miss was the better team and playing later gave TT an advantage if anything.

The single most important thing to TT is their timing. That got thrown WAY off by their huge lag time, and it showed quite clearly in that game. Ole Miss was the better team THAT DAY. I would not for a second tell you they were ALL SEASON.

First, so there timing would have been better without Crabtree and Harrell and that would have won the game? They would not have been able to play in a game that was only a week after the season ended. TT would stand no chance without them.

Second, I would tell you very easily that Ole Miss was the better team all season. Ole Miss was a very good team that lost some close games due to some very dumb mistakes or fluke plays. That team was very good and was vastly underrated. TT was overrated because it beat Tex and OKST. Play a physical team and they lost. (see OK and Ole Miss) -- forgot Nebraska who also played physical and almost beat them.

It is playing physical that disrupts there timing, not that they had off. The Ole Miss and OK game the defenders were all around Harrell and he couldn't get the ball out.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Crabtree had an ankle sprain and had it all year. I don't know where you're getting this idea that Harrell would have missed the game - what injury are you talking about? The one to his non-throwing hand?

That bowl game could very easily have resembled the Philly/Zona game from last weekend, where a very physical team met a finesse team. The physical team does not always beat the finesse team.

You cannot compare Ole Miss to Oklahoma, not even close. Nebraska was better than Ole Miss, and I'll guarantee you that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:04 pm

knapplc wrote:Crabtree had an ankle sprain and had it all year. I don't know where you're getting this idea that Harrell would have missed the game - what injury are you talking about? The one to his non-throwing hand?

That bowl game could very easily have resembled the Philly/Zona game from last weekend, where a very physical team met a finesse team. The physical team does not always beat the finesse team.

You cannot compare Ole Miss to Oklahoma, not even close. Nebraska was better than Ole Miss, and I'll guarantee you that.

An ankle sprain he had all year? He came out of the Baylor game (the last game) because of that ankle sprain. He hurt it in that game and wasn't even 100% in the bowl game.

Harrell -- yes his non throwing hand. The guy had to have surgery because his hand was shattered. Try taking a snap with no second hand and try playing football period for that matter.

I didn't compare them, I compared there style and the fact that TT could not beat a team that was more physical than them.

Apparently people outside of the viewing area of Ole Miss games just don't understand how good of a team they were. There is no doubt in my mind that Ole Miss was a much better team than Nebraska, and I am one who has said Nebraska was a good team and maybe even thought more of them than the Nebraska fans. Ole Miss is a good team and the would have beaten TT and NEB more times than not.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:36 pm

knapplc wrote:Crabtree had an ankle sprain and had it all year. I don't know where you're getting this idea that Harrell would have missed the game - what injury are you talking about? The one to his non-throwing hand?

Mississippi beat Texas Tech on 01/02/2009 by a score of 47-34 (on the road!)
Texas Tech beat Nebraska on 10/11/2008 by a score of 37-31
So ... Mississippi was better than Nebraska for the 2008 college football season!

Booya!

In all seriousness though...

Nebraska was stomped by Mizzou and Oklahoma but stayed close with TT/VT.
52-17 Mizzou
62-28 @Oklahoma
35-30 VT
37-31 @TT
Quality Wins: Kansas, @Kansas State, Clemson

Ole Miss lost by a 1 score or less in all of their loses.
30-28 @Wake
23-17 Vndy
31-24 South Carolina
24-20 @ Bama
Quality Wins: @LSU, @ Florida, TT

Nebraska's losses may have been to better teams but Ole Miss' wins were to better teams.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to College Football