Jets starting to meltdown - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets starting to meltdown

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets starting to meltdown

Postby mattUTD20 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:12 pm

A little adversity will really reveal a lot about a team. After losing to the 49ers, the meltdown is underway. I don't know how much the feelings of Coles reflects the rest of the locker room, but it seems like this team has a real identity crisis.

COLES ON FAVRE: THE JUGS MACHINE THROWS HARDER
Posted by Josh Alper on December 7, 2008, 8:32 p.m. EST

As if the Jets woeful play over the last two weeks wasn’t enough for them to worry about, they may have a little problem in the locker room when Brett Favre hears what Laveranues Coles had to say about him.

John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle (via Fanhouse) shared some comments that Coles made before today’s 24-14 loss to the 49ers. Coles thinks that Favre’s reputation as a good quarterback with a strong arm isn’t justified.

“I catch balls from the Jugs machine. The ball probably comes out harder from there than it does from anywhere else … Of course he’s the big name, he’s the Hall of Famer, he’s going to get the majority of the credit but most of the guys who deserve the credit don’t really get it.”

Coles, who bemoaned the loss of Chad Pennington after the Favre trade, is also unhappy with his role in the offense.

“We’re in a quarterback-driven offense where he pretty much has control of everything, where before the offense was pretty much driven through me. … I just kind of become a role player instead of a guy that teams had to prepare for … This is his offense. When we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point it used to be where I was the guy … in position to get the ball most of the time.”

Coles is second on the team with 56 catches for 620 yards. Jerricho Cotchery, with 59 and 702, leads in both categories. Coles has scored six times, however, which is best on the Jets and one shy of his career best in that category.
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets starting to meltdown

Postby dmacblue » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Wow! I dont think Ive ever read a more self pitying, self centered crybaby tantrum in my life.....pitiful.

For a guy with absolutely nothing on his footballing resume, thats a lot of talk :-t

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 pm

What a putz.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Like I said in another topic, Coles has to shut his mouth. We're in the middle of a divisional race with two other good football teams and this isn't going to help us at all. Just shut up and play. I really wish we never dealt Santana for Coles again :-t
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby Sgt. Apone » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:53 am

word is it was a prank and/or colorful editing

Rich Cimini of the Daily News and Erik Boland of Newsday have both reacted to Crumpacker’s story by writing that Favre and Coles were joking around before the call and, according to Cimini, Favre told Coles to tell the S.F. writers that they had problems with each other. Each also posted the full transcript of the conference call which makes Coles sound a helluva lot less self-involved as the quotes Crumpacker used and I passed along. For example:

Chronicle: “This is his offense. When we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point it used to be where I was the guy … in position to get the ball most of the time.”

Complete transcript: “Basically, you just follow the plays around [Brett Favre]. This is his offense. Our running game has taken off and then when we do throw the ball, there’s really no level of importance, where at one point in time it used to be where I was the guy that was put in the position to get the ball most of the time. Now I just play my role and if the team decides to take me away, we’ve got other guys that make plays. Basically, I just do what I’m supposed to do and that’s my role.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/ ... ws-harder/
sig. by Deluxe
Sgt. Apone
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:26 am

Giants fan but watch the Jets every week and am a big fan of Coles (except when he was playing for Washington :-b). Screw the SF Chronicle and it's nice to see the NY beat reporters have their team's back like this because sometimes you have to wonder if they do. Funniest part is the JUGS machine. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never actually caught a ball from one but I'm pretty sure it's not humanly possible to throw harder than a JUGS machine on it's highest settings. :-b
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Translation: Favre isn't so great, and I should be the centerpiece of the offense.

What a douche.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 pm

For the record, if you're at work and trying to figure out how fast a JUGS machine can throw the ball, don't simply type "JUGS" in google search. You get a whole different set of results.

:-/

Also I still didn't find my answer as "JUGS machine" didn't produce much either. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk