Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league

Postby gmoney973 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 am

I am in a money league (fortunately i have a bye week) and 2 teams were playing in the first round.

Team A lost to Team B by 2 points 135-133

However he discovered the defense for team Team B had scored too many points according to the league rules.

He has panthers, their point total is 23 PA, 384 Yds allowed, 5 Sack, BXP
I have posted the D scoring below (Btw this is cbssportsline league), the problem seems to arise when defenses allow between 350 and 450 yards.

The Panthers should have had 12 points but CBS has them lisetd for 15. However going back during the entire regular season, this was how the scoring was - error or not, just no-one has noticed it. What should the commish do in this case?

Scoring for Defensive Categories
BXP - Blocked Extra Points/FG/Punts (ID/ST/DST) 2 points
DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 2 points
DTD - Total Defensive and Special Teams TD 6 points
Int - Interceptions 2 points
PA - Points Against, Total Points Scored 0 - 1 PA = 10 points
2 - 6 PA = 7 points
7 - 13 PA = 4 points
14 - 20 PA = 1 point
21 - 27 PA = 0 points
28 - 34 PA = -1 point
35+ PAs = -4 points
SACK - Sack 2 points
STY - Safety 1 point
YDS - Yards Allowed 0 - 150 YDSs = 6 points
151 - 349 YDSs = 3 points
450+ YDSs = -3 points
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league

Postby dupree » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

The commish should correct the score for the playoff game, correct the league rules for all future games. The games in the past are in the past and should remained as is. It is up the owners to verify their score each week and bring any issues to the commish ahead of the next weeks games (think of it like the replay system in the NFL you have until the next play to challenge the call).
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gmoney973 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:56 pm

a couple people in the league are saying that since it was that way the entire season it should not be changed
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Motown Blues » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 pm

dupree wrote:The commish should correct the score for the playoff game, correct the league rules for all future games. The games in the past are in the past and should remained as is. It is up the owners to verify their score each week and bring any issues to the commish ahead of the next weeks games (think of it like the replay system in the NFL you have until the next play to challenge the call).

I disagree. If this is how it was ALL season, it should be left alone and continue throughout the rest of the playoffs. IMO, if you were to change this outcome now, to honor the spirit of the rules/league integrity, you would have to change every single outcome all season long...which is of course impossible. But even if it were, it would drastically change the landscape of playoff seedings - if not the actual teams involved, and this would render THIS last outcome void and otherwise irrelevant. Bottom line: both teams got to round 1 of the playoffs to compete against each other, based on these settings. Both benefited (or were hindered) all season long, by the identical rules. There appears - to me - to be no logical reason to change this outcome. I would never accept a win on these standards. It's cheap.
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Could go both ways...in our league the rules are written down outside of the "settings" at the "Host" site so in this case if the commish screwed up and implemented the rules incorrectly they would be corrected as soon as the error was noticed and would NOT be retroactive...

It is FF so the best course is always what your particular the League agrees to in the end. The above is just like my opinion...man.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joejlitz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:08 pm

I say change the score. The team who "lost" this week may not have had this happen to him this year and therefore it is not his fault that it was never corrected earlier.

It's been brought to the comissioner's attention for this week. He has to act one way or the other. I say, act within the rules of the league - which is to change the score.

It's Friday, so you probably already did something. Please post the decision and the league reaction.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:41 pm

So, is it to be assumed that between 350 and 449 yards, that you get 0 points? That is the most confusing part to me...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gmoney973 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:43 pm

the 7 teams that were no longer part of the playoffs anymore voted and determined to leave the score as is

The majority of the teams that voted said it was because it can't be assumed that 350 to 449 is 0 points because nothing is there. So it could be 3 points still. I personally think it should have been changed.

it was 4-3 vote
gmoney973
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:45 pm

gmoney973 wrote:the 7 teams that were no longer part of the playoffs anymore voted and determined to leave the score as is

The majority of the teams that voted said it was because it can't be assumed that 350 to 449 is 0 points because nothing is there. So it could be 3 points still. I personally think it should have been changed.

it was 4-3 vote

I think a no change was the best way to go about it. Realistically, by this point in the season you're not really looking at your rules and thinking, "Hmmm...... how many points am I going to project this defense to get?" Instead, you're looking at how many points defenses have scored or averaged so far this season and making your add/drop start/sit based upon that. So the decision was more likely based on the wrong data than the correct data. Therefore, it's correct to leave it as is for now.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ABA316 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:56 pm

I like the idea of the non-playoff teams making the call, eliminates vested interest as much as possible here.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner