Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Scoring Error discovered during playoffs - money league

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Motown Blues wrote:
dupree wrote:The commish should correct the score for the playoff game, correct the league rules for all future games. The games in the past are in the past and should remained as is. It is up the owners to verify their score each week and bring any issues to the commish ahead of the next weeks games (think of it like the replay system in the NFL you have until the next play to challenge the call).

I disagree. If this is how it was ALL season, it should be left alone and continue throughout the rest of the playoffs. IMO, if you were to change this outcome now, to honor the spirit of the rules/league integrity, you would have to change every single outcome all season long...which is of course impossible. But even if it were, it would drastically change the landscape of playoff seedings - if not the actual teams involved, and this would render THIS last outcome void and otherwise irrelevant. Bottom line: both teams got to round 1 of the playoffs to compete against each other, based on these settings. Both benefited (or were hindered) all season long, by the identical rules. There appears - to me - to be no logical reason to change this outcome. I would never accept a win on these standards. It's cheap.

I agree with MB. Rules shouldn't be changed midseason...even if they were wrong the entire year. We had our defense scoring screwed up in one league last year. We noticed it within the 1st few weeks and decided to just leave it as it is. If you change it now, you should go back and recalculate every score of every game with the correct settings. The playoffs might look different. I'd just leave it as it is. Someone should've noticed the mistake a lot earlier. Team A is just upset about a close loss and they're looking for a way to "not lose". I don't blame them because there's $$$ involved, but IMO they should just let it go...and the commish should have another owner check the settings before next season to make sure everything is right. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PHI » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:41 pm

It's might also be a good idea to set a deadline for changing scores for future games. Our owners are responsible for double checking their scores to make sure they are correct and let me know of any mistakes before the start of the next weeks games. Once the next week's games start, the previous week's games are locked and can't be changed. More importantly, this makes owners at least partially responsible for at least keeping up with their team's game each week.
Fantasy Football Junkies Anonymous meetings held weekly on Sundays... and Mondays... and sometimes Thursdays.
PHI
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:53 pm

dupree wrote:The commish should correct the score for the playoff game, correct the league rules for all future games. The games in the past are in the past and should remained as is. It is up the owners to verify their score each week and bring any issues to the commish ahead of the next weeks games (think of it like the replay system in the NFL you have until the next play to challenge the call).

Agree.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Angry_Amish » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Motown Blues wrote:I disagree. If this is how it was ALL season, it should be left alone and continue throughout the rest of the playoffs. IMO, if you were to change this outcome now, to honor the spirit of the rules/league integrity, you would have to change every single outcome all season long...which is of course impossible. But even if it were, it would drastically change the landscape of playoff seedings - if not the actual teams involved, and this would render THIS last outcome void and otherwise irrelevant. Bottom line: both teams got to round 1 of the playoffs to compete against each other, based on these settings. Both benefited (or were hindered) all season long, by the identical rules. There appears - to me - to be no logical reason to change this outcome. I would never accept a win on these standards. It's cheap.

Ditto, no change now. ... if it was not discovered at the start, then it is too late now.
Angry_Amish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 pm

This is a tough one, but here is my 2C on it anyway.

First, there is no reason for an owner to validate/analyse/recheck the scoring unless he thinks that an error cost him a game. Only an idiot would challenge the scoring for a game he won.
Secondly, making sure the scoring is set according to the agreed rules is the job of the Commish who set up the scoring rules on the league site. In this case, this Commish messed up and failed in his responsibility as league Commish and should be replaced for 2009.
Finally, if no one noticed the error until now, then there is no reason to go back and correct for errors in games in which no one complained. The owner who lost his current playoff game due to the scoring error should be allowed to have the error corrected and the game result correctly noted. Of course, this error should be fixed for all future playoff games, if any.

Since money is involved, this error needs to be rectified for the current games OR, the Commish needs to make up the difference in monies lost by the owner who got hosed by the Commish's error.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby milostyl » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:49 am

Not every commish is getting paid or making a job of being one. It's not his/her responsibility to check every single thing to make sure it's right, especially if using a hosted fantasy hub like yahoo, CBS, NFL.com, or whatever.

When an issue is raised, the only thing you can do as a commish is point it out to everyone honestly and be the diplomat to negotiate a fix. In terms of scoring errors, that's the fault of the hub you use, not the commish. You find your source to report the error and wait for feedback. If, for example, CBS, screws up their scoring processes (as in it is supposed to score this way, but scores it another way), that's on them. Fees should be repayed if money was exchanged for the service, otherwise contact a lawyer. If there is no money exchange, usually the hub will deny any obligations but apologize in a pre-scripted manner. If it's a free service, you can't really complain anyway.

The only thing left to do is make it right with your league. It usually comes down to voting with a this or that proposal. A scoring error is much easier if it is an error that has affected the entire season. Generally, that's what it is. You can only offer a vote to keep it as is, alter future scoring to correct standards (by this point it really doesn't matter) or get really creative and propose a strategic opt in for a new playoff in a big finale... place winners on highest team point total for the last week of the season or playoff it into the actual playoffs. Or... something.
milostyl
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner