What to Make of Pass Catching RBs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What to Make of Pass Catching RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

What to Make of Pass Catching RBs

Postby WeekSixteen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:29 am

As I prepare to tool up my team for next year in a partial keeper in a PPR league, I can't help but be drawn to some of this years best pass catching backs. Forte, Slaton, even Chris Johnson has caught some passes, and Reggie Bush showed he was dominate before he got hurt. I have Adrian Peterson right now as my one keeper at RB. I watch every Vikings game and the kid is truely amazing. He is currently 3rd in my league scoring yet I keep looking at selling him high for a pass catching back.

The thing is, my best team ever was very balanced. Because ADP doesn't catch a lot of passes he will have some big games and then some above average games in points. Whereas, a Slaton/Bush could have a bad game and still put up around 20 points which is awesome in my league. I crave the consistency week in and week out.

Yet when I look at the great pass catching backs with the historical exception of Tomlinson, and the 2 rookies this year: Brian Westbrook, Domminick Davis, Reggie Bush. These guys miss a lot of time, but while they are around they dominate. An arguement could be made that if you had Westbrook's backup your going to be raking in the points whenever he does or doesn't play. That by having the backup of one of the good pass catchers you will be just fine. Now I know RBs have injuries, but just my general observation is that the pass catchers have more and I'm not sure why.

I'm thinking of trading ADP for Reggie Bush and Colston in my keeper next year. ADP simply does not catch a lot of passes and going into next year with some great value for PPR guys, and a likely ranking at #1 for fantasy players, the time may be perfect to move him. What do you make of these pass catching RBs?
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What to Make of Pass Catching RBs

Postby PuntinFool » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:23 pm

I highly recommend those pass catching backs. In fact, I think some of us here at the Cafe have talked about these multi-talented guys on our cafe radio podcasts. Show plug(s)!

But really, the more ways a running back can help a team (run, catch, return, etc) the better scoring you can get. This is why solid days by Jamal Lewis can sometimes be outscored by all-around days by Kevin Faulk.
Retired (temporarily?) from fantasy football.
PuntinFool
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:38 pm

I would not give up AD for Bush and Colston a keeper. No way, No how. AD will catch more balls in the future IMO and even when he doesn't he is still a monster.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:59 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I would not give up AD for Bush and Colston a keeper. No way, No how. AD will catch more balls in the future IMO and even when he doesn't he is still a monster.

Exactly, some guys I'll take their production as is, I would love for Michael Turner to catch a pass here and there in my ppr dynasty but I'm surely not complaining because he's producing, I'll take numbers or production however I can get them, whether it be Bush through all receptions or Turner through rushing yards and rushing TD's.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby pfwygalways » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:06 am

Its hard to predict the production from most of these pass catching backs. I own slaton and typically plan/hope for 40 yards adding 40 pts. Then he breaks one out with more than that and its huge. Most of the receiving backs have been inconsistent this year: S. Jackson, B. Westbrook, R. Bush...

non receiving backs are always more predictable for me. Decide upon the tier, RB 1 hope 125-150 yardage, RB2 75-100 yds, Rb 3 (flex) 60 yards. Than tds are the bonus, you hope for 2 out or rb1 and any tds from rb 2 or 3 are a good day. Then your flex rips for 2-3 tds and your good. Thats been my year.
12 team/6pts TD/1pt 25yds pass/1pt 10yd r/r
08-09 Champ: Defending my title
QB Cutler
WR R. White, Welker, S. Holmes, D. Hester
RB M. Turner, S. Slaton, D. Brown, L Betts, L Maroney
M. Bush
TE Shockey
K Gotskowski
Def: Dal. (platoon likely)
pfwygalways
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dmacblue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:29 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I would not give up AD for Bush and Colston a keeper. No way, No how. AD will catch more balls in the future IMO and even when he doesn't he is still a monster.

I would if it was a PPR league. And assuming I could drop some viable scrub to make roster space.

No right or worng answer here, simply differing opinions ;-D

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 am

I might be inclined to agree with Dee... Trying to take my "AD" hat off for a second and look at it logically... AD is getting better and better at pass protection and is decent on the rare times he does catch it. In a keeper or dynasty... Next year is Chester's last on his contract. I'm sure we will keep him, after that... who knows. we may get someone in there or AD might play a whole lot more 3rd downs. He almost never plays 3rd downs or obvious passing downs. You give him some of those... You are looking at a real beast. I'll take AD's numbers next year and wait with baited breath over what 2010 could be. Like Dee said, without the catches he's a monster... if he gets more included in the passing game, yikes. He barely runs ANY screens... and we all know how well RBs look on screens. Imagine AD getting the ball on a sideline with 3-4 blockers in front of him. I'll take AD any day.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:30 pm

i might like this deal a lot more if it involved a WR other than colston. i know a lot of people are high on this guy, but not so much myself. with the emergence or moore, and arrington...who was all the rave before he went on IR...to go along with the other slew of recieving threats, i dont trust anyone on a game to game basis on the saints outside of bush and brees.

as far as a PPR RB i would target in a keeper....it would be bush or forte for sure. im a fan of ADP...but you can get a lot for his name alone. a PPR is really the only format i would consider dealing him in.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Gore and Barber are two other nice pass catching backs with 40-50 catches a year. But Bush seems to get hurt a lot more than others...
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby u_fig_eater » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:33 am

Pass catching RBs are the way of the future. Especially if the NFL season is extended, the current trend towards more rbbc's will be accelerated. The era of the typical "stud RB" is coming to a close. Heck, even Adrian Peterson shares carries. Look at the "Steven Jackson: Boom or Bust" thread. RB production this year among the so called studs has been markedly inconsistent.

For whatever reason it seems coaches are giving fewer carries to nicked up running backs and are willing to split carries or even keep their studs on the bench. Look at Brandon Jacobs, Reggie Bush, or Joseph Addai. Even SJax, remember a week or two ago when Haslett limited his carries in the 4th quarter of a winnable game?

The top 5 rushing teams in the NFL right now are New York, Atlanta, Tennessee, Carolina, and Baltimore. Most use RBBC's. Here are how their carries are split among their top 2 backs, in order:

NY 195 - 138
ATL 300 - 82
TEN 222 - 170
CAR 212 - 142
BAL 162- 152

"So what", you say? That doesn't apply to RB's on other teams?

4 of the top 5 rushing teams this year have employed some form of RBBC. I'm no expert so I don't know what the trend has been for the past several years for sure, but I think more teams will try to emulate this format in the near future.

If other teams copy the best rushing teams from this year in using RBBC's more, then it WILL affect other guys not on these teams...in the future.

The point is we may no longer be able to count on the average RB (because there will always be studs) solely for their rushing production. In an age where carries are split, pass-catching is likely to make a difference. No, I haven't been an NFL fan for 20 years and I don't know if this is a one-year anomaly or not. I stress at this point it's a hypothetical situation, I guess, but I think this is how it's going to go down in the next few years.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk