Ranking the bowl games from 1-34 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Ranking the bowl games from 1-34

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:06 pm

From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/12/08/bowl.rankings/index.html?eref=T1

There's no disputing the fact that many of the once-sacred traditions of bowl games have irreparably changed over the past decade. In this, my sixth-annual ranking of all 34 bowl games (there were 28 when I started it, including the Silicon Valley Classic), I think you will find that the date a game is played no longer bears any correlation to the quality of its matchup.

In the following list -- which is based on the quality of the teams involved, the degree of intrigue for each matchup and the anticipated viewing interest (or lack thereof) -- you will find a game played on Dec. 23 ranked in the top five, while two New Year's Day games fail to crack the top 14.

You know how ESPN likes to promote the heck out of "Bowl Week?" I'd like to know when exactly said week begins and when it ends. Perhaps it should be rebranded "Bowl Half-Month."

1. BCS National Championship Game (Jan. 8): Oklahoma (12-1) vs. Florida (12-1). Two phenomenal QBs, Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow, could stage a championship duel for the ages. Or the Gators could pull off another 41-14 drubbing. Think we'd ever hear the end of that?

2. Rose (Jan. 1): USC (11-1) vs. Penn State (11-1). Joe Paterno vs. Pete Carroll. The Spread HD against the nation's most dominant D. Will the Nittany Lions defy the Big Ten skeptics, or will the Trojans play the role of rude hosts yet again?

3. Fiesta (Jan. 5): Texas (11-1) vs. Ohio State (10-2). The last time these two met, in 2006, Colt McCoy was a scrawny, overmatched freshman, but now our little boy is all grown up. Not that James Laurinaitis has gotten any less beastly.

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the bowl games from 1-34

Postby eagles21 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:32 pm

34. Independence (Dec. 28): Louisiana Tech (7-5) vs. Northern Illinois (6-6). The Shreveport, La., game has deals to land the No. 7 team from the Big 12 and No. 8 team from the SEC. Some years, that gets you Alabama-Colorado, some years, that gets you ... this.

I hope this game is a nail-biter to show how much of an idiot this guy is. :-b
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:32 am

eagles21 wrote:
34. Independence (Dec. 28): Louisiana Tech (7-5) vs. Northern Illinois (6-6). The Shreveport, La., game has deals to land the No. 7 team from the Big 12 and No. 8 team from the SEC. Some years, that gets you Alabama-Colorado, some years, that gets you ... this.

Who, Stewart Mandel? He's hardly an idiot - he's one of the best college football sports writers out there. How in the world does this blurb about a tremendously unexciting matchup make him an idiot?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
eagles21 wrote:

Who, Stewart Mandel? He's hardly an idiot - he's one of the best college football sports writers out there. How in the world does this blurb about a tremendously unexciting matchup make him an idiot?

It doesn't, I just thought it would be funny if it was a nail-biter, considering he rated it as the most boring game. My sad attempt at finding humor. :-/
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:14 pm

Your punishment for the failed joke is to write Stewie's Mailbag and tell him you think it's going to be a great game. Maybe he'll write you back - he's pretty good about that. ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:29 pm

knapplc wrote:Your punishment for the failed joke is to write Stewie's Mailbag and tell him you think it's going to be a great game. Maybe he'll write you back - he's pretty good about that. ;-)

Haha, that's great! I'm definitely doing that. I'll post his response here. :-b ;-)
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am

With the 11.5 point spread, the South Florida game had to be in everybody's 30+. I think the other locks are USC, Alabama, and Mizzou. I am also very confident in Cal. Those games all have spreads of over a touchdown, and the favorites ought to win and likely cover them all.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:44 pm

I am definitely not a fan of Mandel, but this isn't a bad article.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to College Football