Going back to my "miss the draft strategy". - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Going back to my "miss the draft strategy".

Moderator: Football Moderators

Going back to my "miss the draft strategy".

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:20 pm

This year I have already had to do a fire sale to reload for next year in one league and am still in the running in another keeper league. This year marks my 4th season of FF. I have managed about 15 teams I guess, went down to two keeper leagues this year useing my quality over quantity decision as I'd rather put a lot of effort in 2 good leagues then have to divide my spare time over more.

Anyway I have been fairlt succesfull. I have only had 4 loseing teams, have finished in the top 3 a good bit of times, but have only won 1 frigging league outright. That was in 2001. It was an 8 team sandbox league that I didnt pre-rank any players, got drunk the night before, and slept right through the draft.

I was laughed at and ridiculed bye the other owners, predicted to finich dead last. Instead of waveing the towel as so many schmucks might do in internet leagues, I scoured the waiver wire with a vengence. I landed Anthony Thomas, S. Alexander, D. Rhodes, T. Candidate and many other surprise breakout players that year on my way to the most improbable fantasy championship you can imagine.

I'd like to say I was a genius or a super guru, but that would be a lie. Haveing missed the draft I had no serious upside on my team aside from Harrison and Garcia who the computer drafted for me. Therefore all my good waiver wire grabs were simply because I had nothing to lose.

This year I have missed out on the Steve Smith's ans Santana Moss's because I was waiting for duds like Plaxico and D. Boston to pick it up and carry my team.

So unless I win my league I'm still in that I studied up for and attended the draft, next year I'm going back to my " miss the draft ' strategy. That way I'll be sure to get every Rudi Johnson, Santana Moss, breakout player etc............and cruise to another un-anticipated league championship.

When this strategy takes off, you heard it here first :-D .
"At 60 yards it wont be a record FG distance, It will however set a record for longest post field goal celebration if Gramatica makes it."

Al Michaels, in reference to a Gramatica 60YRD field goal attempt week 5(2003 season) of Monday Night Football.
Bukoski77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:41 pm

thats so crazy it actually makes some sense :-?
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Going back to my "miss the draft strategy".

Postby altproject » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:35 pm

Bukoski77 wrote:This year I have missed out on the Steve Smith's ans Santana Moss's because I was waiting for duds like Plaxico and D. Boston to pick it up and carry my team.

The "miss the draft" strategy sounds interesting -- but what if the computer had drafted Plax and Boston for you? Are you saying that in the case of the computer drafting, you would have been able to pick up Moss and Smith but since you drafted those guys yourself this year, that you couldn't pull the trigger on picking them up?

It sounds more like the draft has some kind of hold over your ability to make decisions. Personally, I draft as well as I can based on what I think before the season starts -- but once players stop performing in the season, I have no problem kicking them off my team, regardless of whether I picked him with my first pick or not. Gannon's a good example. Had him and managed to trade him a while back for Kitna -- no hard feelings about my pick at all but he sure as heck wasn't going to sit on my team and stink up my bench.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cambodian » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:49 pm

haha...wow....not too shabby at all.
Someday Da Bears will return to Glory!!
Cambodian
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:50 pm

but what if the computer had drafted Plax and Boston for you? Are you saying that in the case of the computer drafting, you would have been able to pick up Moss and Smith but since you drafted those guys yourself this year, that you couldn't pull the trigger on picking them up?

Bowing my head in shame..... Well not literaly to the extent you implied, but yes............ I am much more apt to hold onto a player I drafted in the early rounds than I am to pick up waiver wire fodder after a good game. As I decide every single year, I need to tweak my player eveluation and prognosis.
"At 60 yards it wont be a record FG distance, It will however set a record for longest post field goal celebration if Gramatica makes it."

Al Michaels, in reference to a Gramatica 60YRD field goal attempt week 5(2003 season) of Monday Night Football.
Bukoski77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:40 pm

I "missed the draft" in my fantasy hockey league this year (ESPN). Pre-ranking was so well constructed that I drafted Patrick Roy with the #2 overall pick in the draft (he's retired), Curtis Joseph with my 3rd round pick (he's a backup now), and a host of other starts like Theo Fleury (who most likely won't play this year). It's early in the season, but as of now, I'm dead last, so this strategy has its downside. :~(
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

missin the draft

Postby YAR » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:27 pm

Due to some trouble of the female persausion, I ended up missing our draft night as well.

and now Im in first place.

8-2 overall, head to head league.

After thinking about it alot, I believe the answer has alot to do with the fact that most FF owners think they are alot smarter than they really are. They pick players they had in previous years for nostelgic reasons even if the wont admit to it. When they do their research, they do not consider as many sources as whoever does the computer rankings at yahoo, so there may be bias creeping in there. Ive got a solid team with only one standout postion player (my TE) and solid guys at every other postion, which is usually enough to get me by someone who has 1 or 2 studs they count on to make up for the duds they took to get said studs.

My roster is
QB-T.Green
WR.Ike Bruce
WR.Amani Toomer
WR. Antiono Chapman (we get return yardage like receptions. 20 yds, 1 pt.)
RB Tiki Barber
RB Fred Taylor
TE Tony Gonzalez
K Mike Vangerjadt
DEF St. Louis (get return yardage again on defense)

All in all, a fairly solid team. the only ones I have starting that I didnt draft are chapman (Ive been rotating punt return specailsts since I realized how many points can be scored by one of these guys. its like a guarnteed 100 yards if a guy does kickoffs and punts.) I feel like Ive had a lot of scuccess mainly because I didnt let my own brain interfere with a solid system for picking players that yahoo came up with. Im not as good as the machine when it comes to that, and I can admit it. I was the laughingstock of the leauge before the season began, but Ive been laughing since then. Hopefully Ill still be chuckling in week 16.

YAR
YAR

Friendliness: %

Return to Football Talk