How Many Points For Kick Return Yards Is Good? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How Many Points For Kick Return Yards Is Good?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Many Points For Kick Return Yards Is Good?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:30 am

What's a good point value to give to Kick and Punt Return Yards?

I played in a league that scores Kick and Punt Returns this year which we scored at .1pt/1yd, the same value as Offensive Rushing and Recieving Yardage.

This has the effect of making some otherwise marginal Running Backs and Wide Recievers become top players.

I'm thinking it might skew the player rankings a bit too much and that maybe it would be better (in the future) to score return yards somewhat lower.

What say you?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Many Points For Kick Return Yards Is Good?

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:13 am

My league used to to the .1/yard, but we moved to one point/25 yards (with not partial points) and I've liked it quite a bit better. This way someone like Bush or MoJo gets a little bit of a boost, and usable WRs might become more valuable, but you won't be able to justify starting Johnny Lee Higgins over Reggie Wayne or anything crazy like that :-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:29 pm

One thing to consider is balancing return yardage with your other league settings. If you've got a fairly touchdown-heavy league, then awarding a lot of return yardage points may help out those who don't draft well, imo. I've been in a league where folks who I knew where less than knowledgeable often prevailed over seasoned fantasy veterans because the former would pick up a good kick returner after the draft and beat the seasoned veterans whose studs just didn't happen to score touchdowns that week. In a yardage heavy league, that effect is somewhat minimized but it still happens. You know something is wrong when the team starting Joshua Cribbs beats the team starting LaDainian Tomlinson.

The object is obviously to reward slightly the astute managers who draft players who also return kicks, without giving someone a clear advantage to defeat the rest of the league. In my experience, 1 point per 25 return yards or 30 yards is still too generous. Managers should seriously consider giving only 1 point per 40 return yards at most. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TomBrooklyn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like your experience matches what I thinking. We'll go with no more than 1/25 next year and see how that works out.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner