Bust or not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Bust or not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bust or not?

Postby rwolfe09 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Have you ever wondered if a draft pick from your favorite team is a bust or not? I think I have come up with a brilliant solution. For example if Sam Bradford were to go into the draft this season, the team that drafts him should give him two years before judging his talent. I know that is crazy but if he were to go to his senior year, he would have two more full years of development. Now I know this is a very terrible argument I have here but it's something that has been running through my head for a couple hours now. I want to know what you all think about the "Bust or Not" categories. How long do you give a player before you consider him a bust?
rwolfe09
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bust or not?

Postby doublej73 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02 pm

For a QB probably 3 years or so. Look at Eli, he was a late bloomer.

I think you are hitting on a good point about senior years and such. Look at Peyton vs. Ryan Leaf. The senior excells, the junior is a bust. Granted, Leaf would have probably been a bust anyway but still! Also, Matt Ryan vs. Jamarcus Russel. Ryan excells as a senior, then gets off to a remarkable start in the NFL. Russel leaves after his junior year, then wrecks his rookie season with an excessively long hold out. Thus, in a way Russel has 2 seasons less experience than Ryan, when you factor in the lost senior season and the wasted rookie season.
doublej73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Bust or not?

Postby joejlitz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 pm

rwolfe09 wrote:Have you ever wondered if a draft pick from your favorite team is a bust or not? I think I have come up with a brilliant solution. For example if Sam Bradford were to go into the draft this season, the team that drafts him should give him two years before judging his talent. I know that is crazy but if he were to go to his senior year, he would have two more full years of development. Now I know this is a very terrible argument I have here but it's something that has been running through my head for a couple hours now. I want to know what you all think about the "Bust or Not" categories. How long do you give a player before you consider him a bust?

It depends on the team and the position. The Eagles had Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent - two aging corners. They drafted Lito Shepherd and Sheldon Brown that year and were able to play those guys in nickel and dime situations until they matured enough at the position and they were able to move into the starting lineup. There was no rush. But draft a guy to be your starter and the team needs him to produce right away.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting