Streaming defense and kickers strategy ...... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Streaming defense and kickers strategy ......

Moderator: Football Moderators

Streaming defense and kickers strategy ......

Postby LegendoftheFall » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 am

I know this is nothing new to most experienced players, but i wanted to test it out this year....i just did a few calculations and have decided playing the k and D matchups is definitely the way to go.
For the first time i tried this- i didnt draft a kicker or a defense at all. i used the 2 extra draft spots to pick sleeper prospects that i evaluated in the preseason. before week 1 i dropped the worst prospect and an injured player and added the best kicker and defense matchup for wk 1. Since then ive been picking the best defense matchup available on the ww(special thanks to Prince's weekly rankings) and a kicker that would be in a good offensive matchup. today i added up the totals they have produced-kicker=128, tied with the #1 kicker Gostkowski, and 166 for my defense-tied with the #1 defense, Baltimore. Not bad when you consider thats without wasting a draft pick on either, just swapping out your worst player each week. the extra draft picks enabled me to take a chance on a couple more late round sleepers .

i know im not the first to do this, i just wanted to share it as a future strategy. hope somebody can use it. Good luck to all in the playoffs.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Streaming defense and kickers strategy ......

Postby treat24 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:51 am

yeah it's just about the only way I play. In my local, only 4... yes FOUR teams drafted either a kicker or defense. Everyone else knows... Like you said, experienced players know. By midseason you usually have grabbed yourself a titans D or something that is working every week. One year I didn't draft K/D/TE ... another year I missed on the two QB runs and waited til after the draft. You can actually matchup play QBs fairly well too I've found. All in all, you are dead on... I almost never draft K or D anymore unless the league requires you to do so or there are no waivers/free agency before week 1. ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby LegendoftheFall » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:10 pm

I think im the first in my league to figure it out. shhhh. ;-D you're right, i was able to settle in on the NYG defense but still grabbed ww defenses when the NYG matchups werent favorable. most teams that did draft defenses (SD, pats,etc)ended up dropping them for better defenses that werent as highly rated preseason(Bears, NYG,Titans).

i had to play Qb matchups last year (not by choice) and it worked ok as long as you're loaded everywhere else and its not a QB heavy league.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dmacblue » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 pm

No question taking a risk on 2 late round backup high upside skill position is far more beneficial than getting a DST and K.

My league put a rule in this season to stop that happening. So i was forced to draft DST and K.

Whenever and wherever possible I will continue to roll the dice.

I dont see a downside, as the midpack/low end K and DST are a dime a dozen

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby Sgt. Apone » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 am

only reason I'm in the playoffs is because of playing DEF matchups, (my starting WRs are DeSean JAckson and Lee Evans) and playing solid defenses has allowed me to remain pretty competative I think its a hugely overlooked angle, guys spend all week agonizing over a flex spot, but will happily plug in any 'ol defense week after week
sig. by Deluxe
Sgt. Apone
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Maris09 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:45 am

Not only that, but it allows you to have 2 extra roster spots during the week to hold players. Lets you wait to see who you want to play, and also stops somebody else from using them.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk