Week 15 GC: Green Bay @ Jacksonville - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 15 GC: Green Bay @ Jacksonville

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 15 GC: Green Bay @ Jacksonville

Postby WebHamster » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:30 am

;-7
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Week 15 GC: Green Bay @ Jacksonville

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Hello! I can't believe I'd ever see the day that the Cheeseheads wouldn't represent. I guess crushed hopes can do that. Not that I Lions fan would know much about hope.

And Ryan Grant--$^&#^*#^ me.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:59 pm

This from the most loyal fans in the NFL? I am kind of surprised also.

Personally...during gametime I am too riveted to the TV and keepng up with other games to post in a game thread.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:06 am

The Packers suck. What else do you want us to say?

I will say this, and it may be a bit of conspiracy theory on my part. But the past several weeks, I get the feeling that McCarthy is working harder to make Rodgers successful than giving the team the best chance to win. There have been several instances when we need Rodgers to make a play, and McCarthy either takes the ball out of his hands or runs some sort of screen pass. I don't know how many screen passes the Packers have run in the red zone, but it is an awful lot. Rodgers needs to make plays to the endzone, but McCarthy is taking the ball out of his hands. Why? Because he doesn't want Rodgers to do something that will "cost us the game"?

I agree that Rodgers has done extremely well this season. Better than probably anyone thought. Sure he hasn't "cost us the game" at any point - but he also hasn't won us the game at any point. And trust me, I'm not going to blame Rodgers for how ridiculously bad the defense is. But is it possible that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have put so much effort into making Rodgers successful, that maybe (perhaps through subconscious neglect) the team as a whole has taken a back seat?

Rodgers has been really good. But how many opportunities for error has he had? How many 3rd and long passes has he been asked to complete, or do we always run draw plays, screen passes, or swing passes? How much do they trust him in the red zone in the 4th quarter of a close game? Enough to take a chance and let him try to make a play? Or do they give the ball to someone else so that it isn't Rodgers fault and his QB rating doesn't go down?

On a similar note, although probably different topic...why run a FB dive on 4th and 1 when you JUST ESSENTIALLY LOST THE GAME ON THAT PLAY a week ago? I really hated Thompson and McCarthy for the way they handled the Favre debacle - not the decision itself, but the way it was handled. And this really feeds into the perception that they are a couple of cocky, self-centered, egotisticaly, stubborn jack asses.

And the Packers suck. It is not Rodgers fault, but in the end, these numbers haunt Packer fans:

2007 2008
Packers 13-3 5-9
Jets 4-12 9-5
Dolphins 1-15 9-5
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:25 am

yeah, it has just been a very disappointing season for the pack.

They went 13-3 last year, and I think a lot of people thought that if Rodgers could play good solid football without mistakes, they could be right back there this year.

I think Rodgers has done well, but that defense has been just pathetic. I cant even remember how many games this season they have lost by a field goal at the end, situations where all they needed was a stop on defense and the game is over. Its hard to watch.

They have such a talented team on offense, which is probably the only reason most of their losses were very close till the end.

I also have issues with how McCarthy plays with the lead. He gets ultra conservative, which tends to give the other team plenty of chances to get back in it. I can see that working if you have a good defense, but at this point, the best way for the pack to hold a lead is for the Defense to be on the sideline. Their offense being on the field is their best defense.

I personally would have liked for Favre to stay, I was pissed when they didnt welcome him back with open arms. By trading favre and keeping rodgers, I see that as the organization saying that they dont want to win THIS YEAR, but would rather hope to win in a few years. I wanted to see them win THIS YEAR. That being said, with Favre maybe they have a couple extra wins, but that defense is why they are in the crapper right now, not QB play.

I would like to see McCarthy lose his job over this.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting