Week 15 GC: Pittsburgh @ Baltimore - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 15 GC: Pittsburgh @ Baltimore

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 15 GC: Pittsburgh @ Baltimore

Postby mattb47 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Tyeattolah wrote:
The Lung wrote:
dciguy01 wrote:
and the past 25 years...

Yea, seriously. 11-3 record with the toughest schedule in the NFL in 25 years and the #1 ranked defense.

But according to some, it's all just luck.

Sometimes I wish we had a rolling eyes icon here at the Cafe.

still, there was not enough evidence to turn the call from a 4th and inches to a TD...this one will be talked about for a long time. But what the heck, Big Ben did what Flacco couldn't do at the end...I smelled the Big Mo shift...stinks, but I smelled it none the less!

What is the rule when a player catches a ball while falling out of the endzone? I believe it's 2 feet down with possession whether the ball is actually in the endzone or not. How many times have you seen a player run into the close corner of the endzone while holding the ball outside having it never crossed the plane? On a caught ball like the play in this game, is it crazy to think that it might be that the same rules are in effect as if he was catching the ball along the sideline? Two feet down, possession of the ball.

I'm not sure exactly what the rule is as no one seems to know right now but I don't know that everyone should be so quick to judge that it was the incorrect call. It'll probably be talked about to death though over the next couple days.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:06 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Tyeattolah wrote:
The Lung wrote:Yea, seriously. 11-3 record with the toughest schedule in the NFL in 25 years and the #1 ranked defense.

still, there was not enough evidence to turn the call from a 4th and inches to a TD...this one will be talked about for a long time. But what the heck, Big Ben did what Flacco couldn't do at the end...I smelled the Big Mo shift...stinks, but I smelled it none the less!

What is the rule when a player catches a ball while falling out of the endzone? I believe it's 2 feet down with possession whether the ball is actually in the endzone or not. How many times have you seen a player run into the close corner of the endzone while holding the ball outside having it never crossed the plane? On a caught ball like the play in this game, is it crazy to think that it might be that the same rules are in effect as if he was catching the ball along the sideline? Two feet down, possession of the ball.

I'm not sure exactly what the rule is as no one seems to know right now but I don't know that everyone should be so quick to judge that it was the incorrect call. It'll probably be talked about to death though over the next couple days.

You're right matt; I'm not 100% sure what the rule is either, but the referee said that because he had two feet down in the end zone it was a touchdown. If he's right, then the right call was made, no doubt about it. If not... we can yell at each other forever about it, but there's no way either side can prove they're absolutely 100% right unless the NFL admits an error was made.

And pete, I can guarantee you the Steelers would've kicked the field goal there had that not been overturned. Do you really trust that offensive line to get enough push to justify going for it there? :-B !+)

BTW matt, it's been a while; glad to see you around here again. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Yea, I've been in and out mostly reading when I have the time but hopefully I'll have time to post more again now.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:40 pm

I really beleive they would have sneaked Ben there... On the road you go for the win... The look on both Ben's and Coach Tomlin's face gave me that indication anyways. We'll never know but I do truly beleive they would have rolled the dice that close to the end zone had they ruled down at the 1 inch line..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby iamgregg » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:40 pm

This isn't the type of play that a stat correction would be applied to is it? :-o

I won a playoff matchup because of that play.

My opponent must hate me.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:06 am

petedog9 wrote:I really beleive they would have sneaked Ben there... On the road you go for the win... The look on both Ben's and Coach Tomlin's face gave me that indication anyways. We'll never know but I do truly beleive they would have rolled the dice that close to the end zone had they ruled down at the 1 inch line..

I don't really get why you would do this. Normally I'd say go for the win, but they have the best defense in the league... They had only given up 9 points the entire game, 3 of which came on a drive where the Ravens didn't move the ball at all. They're offense had finally started clicking. They had to be incredibly confident in their ability to win it in OT. Given the choice between trying to go for on 4th against a great defense or trying to win in OT against a stagnant offense with a rookie QB and a tired defense, I'd take the latter every time.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:35 am

mattb47 wrote:
Tyeattolah wrote:
The Lung wrote:
Yea, seriously. 11-3 record with the toughest schedule in the NFL in 25 years and the #1 ranked defense.

I'm not going to look it up at this hour, but I'm almost positive that rule only applies to receptions falling out of bounds. In this situation where the receiver's feet were in the end zone but the ball and receiver were in the field of play, the ball must cross the goal line.

My understanding by what I've heard is that the ref after viewing instant replay thought the ball did cross - or rather, that the receiver had possession of the ball while the ball was past the goal line. There is no doubt the ball crossed the goal line, but it is a little more difficult to tell if the receiver had possession prior to falling out of the endzone. I looked at it frame by frame and I tend to think it was a TD, but it was hardly indisputable. The call on the field was no TD...I think it was so close the call should not have been overturned.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby petedog9 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
petedog9 wrote:I really beleive they would have sneaked Ben there... On the road you go for the win... The look on both Ben's and Coach Tomlin's face gave me that indication anyways. We'll never know but I do truly beleive they would have rolled the dice that close to the end zone had they ruled down at the 1 inch line..

I don't really get why you would do this. Normally I'd say go for the win, but they have the best defense in the league... They had only given up 9 points the entire game, 3 of which came on a drive where the Ravens didn't move the ball at all. They're offense had finally started clicking. They had to be incredibly confident in their ability to win it in OT. Given the choice between trying to go for on 4th against a great defense or trying to win in OT against a stagnant offense with a rookie QB and a tired defense, I'd take the latter every time.

I am not disagreeing with you... I just beleive that with the STEELERS only needing an inch, having the Ravens Def on their heels and tired, a big QB in Ben and the fact that Tomlin went for it last week against Dallas when they needed a whole yard. I beleive that Tomlin would have went for it. When Ben was asked, that was the impression I got anyway based upon his response...

Interesting...............

According to the NFL Digest of rules:

"A receiver is deemed to be in possession of a catch when both feet touch down in bounds while the receiver demonstrates control of the football. Should a receiver make a legal catch of the ball with both feet in bounds in the end zone, a touchdown shall be awarded even if no part of the ball was deemed to break the plane of the goal line while in possession of the receiving player."

The "breaking the plane" rule is for a runner, or once a receiver becomes a runner. That is why the ref emphasized the fact that both of Holmes' feet were down. The commentators are stirring up a lot of controversy because none of them know this aspect of the rule. It will all be cleared up by the end of the day tomorrow, when the NFL releases a statement confirming that since Holmes' feet both clearly touched down in the end zone, the catch was properly deemed a touchdown."
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting