Keepers only allowed from round 10 or later? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keepers only allowed from round 10 or later?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keepers only allowed from round 10 or later?

Postby davus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:59 am

My commish is considering going to a format where each team will be able to keep as many players as they want provided they were drafted round 10 or later. Then each year, the keepers move up 4 rounds. To illustrate:

You draft Domanick Davis in the 14th round this year. Next year you can keep him, but you give up your 10th round pick to do it. The following year you can still keep him, but you have to give up your 6th round pick. The following year you will have to let him go.

Is anyone in a league like this? Any thoughts on this format? I see some plusses and minuses.

Pro's -
can keep as many as you like
can only hold on to them for probably max 2 years
seems to keep teams from building a dynasty, which I think is good in FF.

Con's -
How many keepers will really go in the 10th + round? It will pretty much be a crapshoot as to who can guess which backup will step in due to injury. I don't see a lot of keeper potential here. How many of us drafted Domanick Davis? How many even had him on our charts?

Anyway, thoughts please.
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Challie » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:32 am

I like the proposed method.

I've never liked keeper league that have been rewarding a guy who picked Priest Holmes first off a waiver wire three years ago and his team has been set ever since.

Does anybody else out there have any intriguing keeper league rules? I'm ready for suggestions for how to turn a non-keeper league into an interesting yet fair keeper league.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:48 am

Yea, I am in a keeper league and we can keep any 3 players and one rookie. A rookie is defined as anybody with less than three years on NFL experience. I am keeping Portis as my rookie... :-D
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby davus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:55 am

M_Zimm wrote:Yea, I am in a keeper league and we can keep any 3 players and one rookie. A rookie is defined as anybody with less than three years on NFL experience. I am keeping Portis as my rookie... :-D

I appreciate the response, but maybe we can keep posts that only answer Challie's question in a separate thread to avoid confusion. ;-D
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby davus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 am

bump
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

davus

Postby matmat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:06 pm

so how do you resolve someone wanting to keep a player they picked up off the waiver wire/ FA list like Rudi Johnson or Domanick Davis this year? are they cosidered n+1 st round where you had only n rounds in the draft?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: davus

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:09 am

matmat wrote:so how do you resolve someone wanting to keep a player they picked up off the waiver wire/ FA list like Rudi Johnson or Domanick Davis this year? are they cosidered n+1 st round where you had only n rounds in the draft?

n's and n+1's, woah, let's keep the math talk to a minimum, i never did like algebra
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby davus » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:57 am

according to the commish, the plan is to only allow keepers to be drafted players.
davus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:00 am

davus wrote:according to the commish, the plan is to only allow keepers to be drafted players.

I think that's a good rule, since all the good guys who were wire pickups this year go into next years draft (and drafting them becomes a risky science). Makes the draft a little more fun.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk