Teams in dire, epic desperation for a new QB in '09 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Teams in dire, epic desperation for a new QB in '09

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Teams in dire, epic desperation for a new QB in '09

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:03 pm

The Jets are in dire need of a new QB after Favre leaves. Clemens didn't impress when he played last year after they yanked Pennington.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:11 pm

PMax wrote:Jags
Lions
Rams
Seahawks
Raiders
Bills
Chiefs

Borderline panic
Vikings
Bucaneers
49ers

The demand for a QB that can throw is through the roof. I feel bad for Bradford, and any other QB that decides to go pro next year.

If the Vikes, Bucs, and 49ers are borderlines, the Seahawks, Rams, Chiefs and Bills shouldn't be on your list. This is a case of someone looking at records and not thinking things through clearly.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:29 pm

I think Big Ben's problems are tied more to a O line that is near what it was.
The Vikes to me are a team in dire straights for a QB. They can compete for a title if they get anything close to better than average QB play. But they keep fooling around with Trainwreck Jackson instead of stabilizing by buying a bargain in Penny this year and maybe opening the purse for ??

Lions have way too many other needs to spend time worrying about a QB.
I could see Kitna reunited in SF with Martz if he stays there.
O-line help could make Bulger and Garrard more than serviceable.
Ownership senility will keep Russell at the helm in Oakland.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:42 pm

RunnaThaMills wrote:
dave knight wrote:
RunnaThaMills wrote:Add the STEELERS to that list - BRoth is sucking every week.... I am a true fan and I think that he needs to go....

That offense ain't the QB's fault...

It is if the QB is turning the ball over in field goal range - just plain stupid and trying to do too much... He's been taking sacks all year, take another one and keep your team in FG range, instead of turning the ball over... Ben's cognitive skills are questionable and frustrating - I know that he won't get cut or traded, but PIT is in need of a QB...

Yeah right. Like mooch said, the offensive line is one of the worst in the league, and while Roethlisberger has his flaws (most notably holding the ball too long and the occasional dumb throw), he makes the plays necessary to win games. That makes dealing with his weaknesses more than worth the while.

I don't think I need a better example of Roethlisberger winning a game for the Steelers than today against the Ravens.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
RunnaThaMills wrote:
dave knight wrote:
That offense ain't the QB's fault...

It is if the QB is turning the ball over in field goal range - just plain stupid and trying to do too much... He's been taking sacks all year, take another one and keep your team in FG range, instead of turning the ball over... Ben's cognitive skills are questionable and frustrating - I know that he won't get cut or traded, but PIT is in need of a QB...

Yeah right. Like mooch said, the offensive line is one of the worst in the league, and while Roethlisberger has his flaws (most notably holding the ball too long and the occasional dumb throw), he makes the plays necessary to win games. That makes dealing with his weaknesses more than worth the while.

I don't think I need a better example of Roethlisberger winning a game for the Steelers than today against the Ravens.

I was just going to post the same exact thing.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Sex Panther » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:55 pm

NFC -

North: I count 2 (DET, MIN)
Chicago - Orton, average at best - but I'm sure the Bears will over pay him.
Detroit - Total nightmare.
Green Bay - Rodgers, like him or not, he's not going any where.
Minnesota - Ferrote is not a longterm answer,is Jackson (I doubt it).

South: I count 1 (TB)
Atlanta - Ryan looks like a franchsie QB, they look to be set for the next 10+ years.
New Orelans - Brees, best QB in football right now? Set for the next 5 years.
Tampa Bay - Garcia is adequate (but for how long, he's getting up there, probably best suited as a #2), not the longterm answer.
Carolina - Delhomme is adequate, with the weapons they have on offense, adequate/above average is more than enough.

East: I count 1 (WASH), 2 (If Philly deals McNabb)
Dallas - Romo franchise QB, like him or not, he's "America's" QB.
New York - Eli, above average, more than adequate - won a SB - not going anywhere.
Philly - McNabb, IMO, is a franchise QB - he's getting up there, but he's the answer at QB for a team, TBD if that team is Philly in 09.
Washington - I am not a believer in Jason Campbell.

West: I count 1 (SF)
Arizona - Warner has been spectacular, but he's 37, Lienart - who knows, IMO, need to resign Warner.
Seattle - Hasselbeck is more than adequate, well above average, but is his back ruined?
St. Louis - Bulger is adequate, and signed to big paper, IMO, they have bigger fish to fry.
SF - Nightmare.

5 (maybe 6) teams in the NFC are in dire needof an answer @ the QB position IMO.

AFC -

North: I count 0 (but Cinnci needs to figure out what's going on w/ Palmer)
Pittsburg - Big Ben, franchise QB.
Baltimore - Flacco, rookie has preformed extremely well - they appear to be set for the foreseeable future.
Cleveland - Quinn/DA - lots of $$ invested in the position,no way they look to upgrade.
Cinncinatti - Palmer is an elite talent, elbow is a definate concern. Fitapatrick & the other Palmer don't cut it.

South - I count 0
Indy - Peyton - HoF, one of the best ever, I don't think they need to find the heir apparent yet.
Jax - Garrard - they gave him the paper, I don't think 2008 is a good litmus test - theirl ine hasbeen destroyed & their WR's are garbage.
Houston - Schaub/Rosenfells are more than adequate, lot's of talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Tennessee - Collins has preformed admirably, big question is VY - can he be the QB they think he can be.

East - I count 1 (Jets) but could be as many as 3 (BUF & MIA)
Patriots - Brady/Cassel - no question they are set.
Jets - Will Favre come back? Regardless, they need to address the position.
Buffalo - I'm not a fan of Edwards (who get's dinged a lot) or Losman (who sucks), but I don't see them really doing much @ the pos.
Miami - Pennington is not the long term answer, is Beck? TBD, who knows w/ the Tuna.

West - I count 0 (but could be as many as 2 - KC & OAK)
SD - Rivers, I hate him, but AJ doesn't, they're set
Denver - Cutler is the Denver QB they have been looking for since Elway retired.
KC - do you really believe in Thigpen/Croyle? I don't but the Chiefs are in need of all kinds of parts.
OAK - Russel is going to get atleast another season.

I count 1 (maybe as many as 6) AFC teams that are in dire need of an answer at the QB position.

Jets
Lions
Vikings
Bucs
Redskins
49ers

Those are the 6 teams that I think will make it a priority to address their QB position in 09
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mariners100 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:
RunnaThaMills wrote:

I was just going to post the same exact thing.

I personally love the get rid of Ben threads... His issues this year are because he doesn't have an O Line... He makes a ton of plays with his feet because he has to run for his life constantly. You have to be half of a retard to think that the Steelers are in need of a QB... may as well throw the Colts, Patriots, Giants, etc in....
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Sex Panther: the Dolphins drafted Chad Henne in the second round in the 08 draft, so I think they're set for now.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sex Panther » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:02 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Sex Panther: the Dolphins drafted Chad Henne in the second round in the 08 draft, so I think they're set for now.

My bad, forgot about him.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bjfcool2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:16 pm

In order of most in need:

1. Det (along with a whole new team)
2. Oak ( J Russ is going to be a big bust :-t )
3 Min (a good QB + AP= elite team)
4 TB (gracia is not the answer but should probably find a stud WR first)
5. NYJ (after farve)

Borderline:

6. KC (is thigpen a 1 year wonder, who knoes...I leaning towards yes)
7. SF (I think Hill will be the starter going into next year and I like what see from him, I say he is solid next year)
bjfcool2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting