Those who need Westy to put them into the finals..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Those who need Westy to put them into the finals.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Those who need Westy to put them into the finals.....

Postby sublimeandy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:49 pm

the eagles will never give a rb the ball on the 6" line, in the 2nd quarter, with 9 seconds left, on third down and no time outs. in fact, i don't think any coach would do that.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:29 pm

benb18a wrote:I can honestly foresee him having a 75 total yd game this week, just because it's too good to be true - extra day of rest and against the Browns.

This is a quote from me this weekend. It really was too good to be true, Westbrook playing probably the worst run defense for the last several seasons, and he can do relatively nothing. Not only that, but the teams marches the ball up and down the field the WHOLE ENTIRE GAME, and have several redzone possessions turn into zero points.

Even bigger than this, this game really sums up the whole entire fantasy season. They should change the name of FF to Murphy's Law in action. I mean seriously, if you had a very successful year, you more than likely were either: A. extremely lucky, or B. used the opposite of logic and common sense when making lineup decisions, because it seems, at least on a majority of my teams anyway, that the lesser player with the worst matchup, otherwise known as the must sit, ends up outscoring the stud with an easy matchup. This is pretty much just a pissed off rant, but seriously, it's the way I feel. :-t

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheMackAttack » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm with you. I went into this game down 7 and had Westy -- opponent had McNabb . . . had hopes of something like a 32 pt game with McNabb getting about 16 . . . nope -- not close (at least for Westy) . Im out of the championship game. Very frustrating.

Guess I will go for third next week.
2006 Lady Rams Champion
2007 2nd place in points and standings.
TheMackAttack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LegendoftheFall » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am

benb18a wrote:
benb18a wrote:I can honestly foresee him having a 75 total yd game this week, just because it's too good to be true - extra day of rest and against the Browns.

This is a quote from me this weekend. It really was too good to be true, Westbrook playing probably the worst run defense for the last several seasons, and he can do relatively nothing. Not only that, but the teams marches the ball up and down the field the WHOLE ENTIRE GAME, and have several redzone possessions turn into zero points.

Even bigger than this, this game really sums up the whole entire fantasy season. They should change the name of FF to Murphy's Law in action. I mean seriously, if you had a very successful year, you more than likely were either: A. extremely lucky, or B. used the opposite of logic and common sense when making lineup decisions, because it seems, at least on a majority of my teams anyway, that the lesser player with the worst matchup, otherwise known as the must sit, ends up outscoring the stud with an easy matchup. This is pretty much just a pissed off rant, but seriously, it's the way I feel. :-t

very true. i agree completely. this week my wrs were Fitz, Boldin and Roddy White, and i got doubled up by vincent jackson, Donald Driver, and Breaston. Had Antonio Bryant and Pierre Thomas on my bench which was the only logical play and lost by 10. very frustrating after all the hard work assembling the best team, outscored the next closest by 200 over the season....
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benb18a » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:27 pm

LegendoftheFall wrote:
very true. i agree completely. this week my wrs were Fitz, Boldin and Roddy White, and i got doubled up by vincent jackson, Donald Driver, and Breaston. Had Antonio Bryant and Pierre Thomas on my bench which was the only logical play and lost by 10. very frustrating after all the hard work assembling the best team, outscored the next closest by 200 over the season....

Yeah, I went into the playoffs starting Ryan, Westy, Fitz, Jennings, and White. Every single player on my team scored single digit points, except my DST. I score half as many points as projected, and lose. I originally had Thigpen as my starter, but Sunday morning there was a wind warning, stating 20-40 MPH winds for the KC-SD game. Thigpen scores almost 20, Ryan? 8. K smith scores 16.7 on my bench, Westbrook, 6.7. My three top five WRs score less than 20 points together, despite all averaging 13 points. I have my season worst week, and am done.

This season, seriously, showed that it's better to not have depth, than to have depth, to me. I mean, when whoever you start is outscored by your bench alternative, why have players on your bench able to be considered to start? It seems like the most successful teams simply didn't have depth, and started the same exact people every single week. There is even a team in first place who has had two RBs on their roster almost the whole season, TJ and Lynch, which I feel is very audacious, but hey, if you know that your players aren't going to get injured, who needs depth? :-X X-I

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vlad » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 pm

benb18a wrote:
LegendoftheFall wrote:

This season, seriously, showed that it's better to not have depth, than to have depth, to me. I mean, when whoever you start is outscored by your bench alternative, why have players on your bench able to be considered to start? It seems like the most successful teams simply didn't have depth, and started the same exact people every single week. There is even a team in first place who has had two RBs on their roster almost the whole season, TJ and Lynch, which I feel is very audacious, but hey, if you know that your players aren't going to get injured, who needs depth? :-X X-I

So you rather have all the players,who you didn't see scoring a lot of points on a given week,starting against you on some1 else's roaster?

I'll take the depth
Vlad
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:51 am

Vlad wrote:
So you rather have all the players,who you didn't see scoring a lot of points on a given week,starting against you on some1 else's roaster?

I'll take the depth

I'm being ironical. I'm just sick of seeing my bench outscore my starters(happened to me again this week, in the lowest scoring week of the season for one of my teams) and losing when I would have won if I had flipped my bench to my starters. It is extremely aggravating, exponentially moreso than simply losing because your opponent's team outdid yours this week. If you look at most teams, their starters outscore their bench by about 2:1. Not this particular team. I'm going to do the math, 8 starters and 8 bench players:

Week:______Starters:_____Bench:

1___________101________90
2___________99_________42
3___________79_________22
4___________104________79
5___________105________72
6___________101________65
7___________67_________24
8___________139________53
9___________60_________84
10__________61_________127
11__________83_________86
12__________91_________71
13__________86_________90
14__________101________117
15__________60_________73

See the trend? After week 8, my starters were outscored 6 out of 7 times by my bench. It didn't matter what position it was at. QB, RB and WR all had a fair share of the blame. I lost five out of those seven, after starting 5-3 with five 100+ weeks. My bench outscored my opponent's starters 5 out of seven times in these last seven weeks. I had compiled projections, rankings(including the revered Cafe sit & start every week), the start & sit forum here, and the % started by a few different fantasy league bearing websites. This is why I stated that the opposite of logic wins fantasy leagues. Obviously central tendencies statistics would state that I made the right decisions, for the most part. But this particular team was a demonstration of deviation and variance. I wouldn't give a hoot if this was some random Cafe league, public league, or private fun league, but I am going to have to pay a bunch of extra money now for WW pickups that would prove to be futile.

*this is meant to be a rant, as I don't really have any other place to vent, as nobody I know would have any idea what I'm really talking about. Please don't take it too seriously.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:59 pm

benb18a, I feel your pain and it's why you have to just accept the enormous luck component of fantasy football as part of the game.

I think a lot of people drop out of fantasy football for this very reason.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm

The Lung wrote:benb18a, I feel your pain and it's why you have to just accept the enormous luck component of fantasy football as part of the game.

I think a lot of people drop out of fantasy football for this very reason.

It really is aggravating to the max. I mean, I understand that, in the long run, skill and knowledge will produce a good winning percentage, but it's stuff like this, and seeing another money league team of mine run a train, finishing the season on an 8-0 run only to lose to an 8-6 team in the first round. I think it's ridiculous how some people are perpetually rewarded by luck, for making rash decisions, and those who make all of the best decisions flounder because of luck. In this particular league of mine, one guy has won it all three years, and finished the season 11-3 with the most points to take the #1 seed, and is in the semis this week. This guy has had two RBs on his roster since I can remember, probably about week 6, when TJ started to become a stud, and while all of my teams have had RB injuries, his is destroying the league. For a fourth straight season. I think I need to stop playing for money, because, one thing I learned playing poker is, that the bad luck streaks can really get into your head.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting