Some parents are just morons... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Some parents are just morons...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Some parents are just morons...

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Man...I really hope the state has a good reason for taking custody of these kids. And "we don't like what you named them" is not a good reason.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm guessing based on Art's comment that these are the kids whose parents gave them Nazi names (I'm not inclined to click on a Fox News link). While I think it's exceedingly moronic to give your kids names like this, if that's the reason they took the kids, the state has some 'splainin' to do.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Couple of interesting tidbits:

Forensic psychologist N.G. Berrill said naming a boy Hitler could be considered child abuse.

"Part of it is the infantile nature of the parents’ behavior," Berrill said. "You can name your dog something weird, but they think they’re making some kind of bold statement with the children, not appreciating that the children will have separate lives and will be looked at in a negative light until they’re able to change their name. It is abuse."

Seeing as how the kid (at least Hitler) would get the crap kicked out of him his whole life due to nothing but what his parents named him, I can't fully disagree with that. I don't like it, but hard to disagree with it.

New Jersey officials said Wednesday that it is not just a matter of names.

"DYFS would never remove a child simply based on that child's name," Bernyk said.

That makes it appear there's more than just the names as the reason though.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:44 pm

knapplc wrote:I'm guessing based on Art's comment that these are the kids whose parents gave them Nazi names (I'm not inclined to click on a Fox News link). While I think it's exceedingly moronic to give your kids names like this, if that's the reason they took the kids, the state has some 'splainin' to do.

If it helps, I went to Drudge Report and this is their link to the story...

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... -Home.html

:-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 am

Madison wrote:
New Jersey officials said Wednesday that it is not just a matter of names.

"DYFS would never remove a child simply based on that child's name," Bernyk said.

That makes it appear there's more than just the names as the reason though.

That restores my faith in the system a smidge (but that's still pending). Much as we can all disagree with the decision to name the kids "Hitler" and whatnot, nobody's going to find fault with removing kids from abusive homes.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 am

One thing that struck me from that article:

"I’ve dealt with the family for years and as far as the children are concerned, I have never had any reports of any abuse with the children," Harris said. "As far as I know, he’s always been very good with the children."

Although he says he's unaware of any abuse, why has Sgt Harris been dealing with this family for several years - I'm kinda curious about that.
:-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 am

You were a cop, weren't you Stomper? You know about people who frequently get involved with law enforcemnet, I'm sure. There are just some people whose paths cross those of cops often, far more often than your average guy. Sounds like this guy is one of them from that quote.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 am

stomperrob wrote:One thing that struck me from that article:

"I’ve dealt with the family for years and as far as the children are concerned, I have never had any reports of any abuse with the children," Harris said. "As far as I know, he’s always been very good with the children."

Although he says he's unaware of any abuse, why has Sgt Harris been dealing with this family for several years - I'm kinda curious about that.

They named their son Adolf Hitler ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:16 pm

knapplc wrote:You were a cop, weren't you Stomper? You know about people who frequently get involved with law enforcemnet, I'm sure. There are just some people whose paths cross those of cops often, far more often than your average guy. Sounds like this guy is one of them from that quote.

Yup - also a subscriber to the where there's smoke there's fire theory, so just wondering why they cross paths with police so often.

dream_017 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:One thing that struck me from that article:

They named their son Adolf Hitler ;-7

maybe there's a law against being stupid in New Jersey??? ;-7 ;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm

stomperrob wrote:maybe there's a law against being stupid in New Jersey??? ;-7 ;-) :-b

Then wouldn't just living there make most people lawbreakers?

ba-da-bing. :-B
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to General Talk