2008 NFL Week 16 Barometer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

2008 NFL Week 16 Barometer

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

2008 NFL Week 16 Barometer

Postby WebHamster » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:13 pm

This thread contains comments on the Cafe's "2008 NFL Week 16 Barometer ", which was posted in the Cafe's Player Rankings section by Scott Fish on December 18, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 NFL Week 16 Barometer

Postby FatFoot » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Yeah, I too was wondering why "Bush's tards per carry was so low."

Hehehe I don't know why that's funny. :)

Happy holidays!
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm not sure if you were being serious treat, but the comment about the Packers couldn't be further from the truth. Aaron Rodgers is better than Favre in every major passing statistic except completion percentage. I know poking fun at division rivals is, well, fun. I do it all the time. But I think that type of stuff should be left out of the Barometer.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'm not sure if you were being serious treat, but the comment about the Packers couldn't be further from the truth. Aaron Rodgers is better than Favre in every major passing statistic except completion percentage. I know poking fun at division rivals is, well, fun. I do it all the time. But I think that type of stuff should be left out of the Barometer.

First off, the blurbs are the writers opinions and are at his/her discretion and there is nothing short of swearing, lude comments, etc... that should be limited. Writing an opinion like that is EXACTLY what SHOULD be in the barometer. Heck... the barometer needs MORE of it. :)

On to the comment... You know I'm a Packer fan, right?

What's their records? What was Favre's record with nearly the exact same team last year? You can go look them up, I'll wait here. Nah, here you go...

Favre in 2007 with almost exactly the same Packer team: 13-3
Favre with the Jets who were 4-12 last year: 9-5 (yes they improved other spots than QB, I know)
Rodgers with the Packers in 2008: 5-9

Sorry to disagree.. but the truth is... Fave wins games... Rodgers doesn't...

Argue every stat in the world that you want to... I'll just point to the win column :-t and that is what matters in the NFL. I'll also point to the Packers being in the playoffs last year as a division winner and the Packers sitting at home this year. I might also point at the Jets in the playoffs this year... but I'm not sure if I'll be pointing in that direction yet... I'll let you know in 2 weeks... :)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby FatFoot » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Isn't it inaccurate to say "exactly the same team" considering that the Packers were doing well everywhere but at RB, until their defense got banged up?

I am a Favre believer. I am not a Packer fan at all. But in NO WAY do I think it's accurate to put it all on the QB. The schedules were different this year, and injuries are different this year.

How about this... the Bears went to the Super Bowl and then next year they stunk with almost exactly the same team.
So the Pack ALMOST making the big game, and then sucking the next year... there's some precedent.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 pm

It would be inaccurate to say that. Which is why I didn't say that.... I said "nearly the exact same team" and not "exactly the same team" ... you cut my quote short to fit your point... :-[ :)

I'm not putting it all on the QB, but there is a fair amount of blame to go to that position for this season. :)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 pm

I understand what you're saying treat, and I do think Favre brings leadership that Rodgers cannot even come close to at this point in his career, but I still disagree. I don't think Favre would've led that team to another 13-3 record, and although he's certainly made a difference for the Jets in the passing game, every other aspect of that team improved in the off-season. Offensive line, running game, front seven and secondary. Favre brought the veteran leadership, but that can only take a team so far. Favre definitely couldn't have done anything about Green Bay's 26th ranked rushing defense, and he definitely didn't factor in New York's rushing defense improving from 26th to 6th.

And I apologize if I made you angry at all. I feel like I might have, and that wasn't my intention at all.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby treat24 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:42 am

You know i'll always love me some Steelerfan513 :) :)

Just a couple more notes... You brought up how rodgers is above Favre in all those categories... Favre has a rushing game that has 1600 yards and 18 tds. Favre would lead Rodgers in every single category (including INTs because hey... it's brett favre after all) if it weren't for that run game. If he was on the pack this year... he would have better numbers. He would have to. That's what a veteran leader does... he does what he has to for the team to win games.

When the score is within 3 points.. how many games have the Pack won this year? ZERO. Favre was able to put the Pack on his back and eek out those wins. Rodgers can't. yet... I realize he is still young... I realize the pack would have maybe lost him if they kept Favre... but I am in the camp that I believe the Pack would have found a way to keep Rodgers if Favre had stayed. I'm sure Favre would be in the thick of the division race and not eliminated if he were a Packer this year. I guess this stems from me knowing the Pack as well as I do and that TT and MM seemed to want Favre and that regime out the second they walked in the door a few years ago. TT and MM are giant d-bags.

We'll just agree to disagree here.

The only thing that upset me was telling me what should and shouldn't be in the barometer. If the byline of the barometer read "written by the fantasy football cafe and these opinions reflect the cafe" ... sure... I'd agree. However, my name is on there. Just like when you read articles from other sites... You note the writer, not the sites so much. At least I do because I know where credit and/or blame belongs. :-D

I guess my main issue is i hate TT and MM... I'm not a huge Favre guy... but I can respect what he has done and is still doing.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Article Discussions