Existing keeper league expansion?? HOW? help!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Existing keeper league expansion?? HOW? help!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Existing keeper league expansion?? HOW? help!!!

Postby kingfisch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:11 pm

HI All! I needed some help figuring the best way to increase the number of teams from 10 to 12 after 2 good seasons with keepers that still allows the new owners to have an equal chance at having a good team.
Right now we have 16 roster spots, up to 4 keepers- (1 STAR, lose first round pick, 1 ROOKIE- lose 4th round pick, and 2 SLEEPERS- players drafted in rounds 10-16, lose same pick in draft where player was originally selected. Im not so much worried about the new teams not getting a legit first round player because the teams that keep a STAR lose their 1st round pick so there will be plenty to choose from, only 4 STARS kept last season. What worries me is that they will not have any SLEEPER KEEPERS ( Brandon Marshall 14th round, Greg Jennings 13th round, Deangelo Williams 10th round, Deshawn JAckson 11th round, etc.) these are the players that add the depth to your team. What are some ways to expand this type of keeper league? I really appreciate the help!!
kingfisch
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Existing keeper league expansion?? HOW? help!!!

Postby ABA316 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 am

I run an auction keeper and expanded from 12 to 14 this year.

What I did was the 2 new owners did not have players..however they had the entire $300 (pretend $$) to start with, all other owners had less after paying for their keepers. The new owners had an advantage if a player came up in the early going that they wanted b/c they could push other bidders out of the market.

I guess you COULD force each existing team to throw 1 or 2 players on the block for the new owners to choose..if so, make it so once an existing team loses a player they may not lose a second player. If you pay for keepers with draft picks, I guess you could also make the new owner give the corresponding pick to the owner losing the player.

This is a lot easier than it looks. Do it and have fun.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am

we did something similar a few years back in a Keep 3 league

i believe we allowed all teams to protect 2 players and then the 2 expansion teams were allowed to draft 3 players each from the remaining rostered players, and if a player was chosen from your team you got to protect your 3rd player

i forget how we allotted their draft picks though. pretty sure we determined it wasnt fair to give them the 1 and 2 so it may have just been a random draw
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kingfisch » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:58 am

do you have any crazy rules in your league? Anything unique that I can see to merge into mine? I've got a good group of owners here and want to make it as competetive and realistic ( as far as NFL) as is gets without making it a "dynasty" league. We allow 4-5 keepers max out of 16 players, which isn't bad. Out of them, only one first round pick can be kept by any team. Teams are not bombarded with top notch players or scrubs, unless an owner draft bad.

But with expansion, where would you place the new owners in the draft? My thought is to draft according to the final rankings for the ROOKIE draft and draw for picks in the OVERALL draft.

UNIQUE about my league:
* "SLEEPER KEEPERS"- (any player drafted in rounds 10-16) these players actually help you win championships because they are FUTURE STARS that get late round pick consideration in the draft. The owner gets rewared for drafting good/smart/lucky, I love it!
* ROOKIE DRAFT- only NFL rookies are available here, this gives you the chance to draft an NFL rookie that can possibly be on your team for 3 years as a "ROOKIE" keeper. ADRIAN PETERSON anyone? This can help build a powerhouse, DYNASTY....
* A logoed beer stein is presented to the owner of the Champion during a late season playoff game with all owners present. This adds some trashtalk, bonding, and ??????? drinking?.

What do you do?

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffi ... eId=309388
kingfisch
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ABA316 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:58 am

Hmm..in football just have to start a full roster to the best of your ability really..that and can't keep 2 of the same position player.

For a draft to get the new owners in, you could do this..

In a baseball league I'm in the 4 worst teams get drawn for picks. Worst team has 8 ping pong balls, 2nd worst 6, 3rd worst 4, 4th worst 2. Commish draws for the order of picks 1-4 from that, which discourages tanking for best pick next year.

If you wanted to do something like that you could just give the 2 new players the max amount of balls (8)...plus that league did the expansion draft that was mentioned earlier where each team has to expose 1-2 players.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner