Team Loyalty or Fantasy Football Success? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

Team Loyalty or Fantasy Football Success?

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

Team Loyalty or Fantasy Football Success?

Postby WebHamster » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:27 pm

This thread contains comments on Joseph Malizia's Article "Team Loyalty or Fantasy Football Success?", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on December 21, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Team Loyalty or Fantasy Football Success?

Postby sublimeandy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:50 pm

you are an awful philadelphian. as a eagles fan myself, i can't even bring myself to draft some cowboys and often find myself devaluing them in drafts. not because i don't want them on my team, only because i just don't believe in them. if you are rooting for fantasy team over your home team, then you are a fraud.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:31 pm

sublimeandy wrote:you are an awful philadelphian. as a eagles fan myself, i can't even bring myself to draft some cowboys and often find myself devaluing them in drafts. not because i don't want them on my team, only because i just don't believe in them. if you are rooting for fantasy team over your home team, then you are a fraud.

Easy guy....I've said it before and I'll say it again, homerism and haterism are two of the best ways to cripple a fantasy team.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby sublimeandy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:18 pm

i have neither. no eagles on my teams. but rooting for your fav team's rival over your own team is low.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:53 am

Rooting for fantasy players on a rival team to does not make you a bad fan. It's just a game man, both the real version and the fantasy one.....their just games. ;-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Metroid wrote:Rooting for fantasy players on a rival team to does not make you a bad fan. It's just a game man, both the real version and the fantasy one.....their just games. ;-)

No worries, Metroid. The article was mostly written tongue-in-cheek. Of course my dad hasn't banished me and my best friend talks to me - but those types of reactions are not uncommon and neither is the one by sublimeandy. In Philly, those types of reactions are expected. Philly fans ALWAYS go overboard which is why I thought this article would hit home for some people.
Thick skin, man, thick skin.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby FrankScott » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Joseph, I am with you all the way. I am (was?) a diehard Jet Fan, but I root my a$$ off for my Fantasy players, even if it means rooting against the Jets. A great example was John Karlsen (whose name i may be misspelling, because I just picked him up this week), who helped me win my championship by catching a TD against the Jets. My wife was complaining, but I was like, "F*** the Jets, that's my Tight End!"

My team is way more important than the Jets (or plug in any favorite NFL team a fantasy owner may have). Why? Because I built this team, and managed it myself, and used my own money, competing against my own peers. No relying on some stupid "ManGenius!" I'm the "Genius" who put this team together and won it all. (I should note that I'm the same genius that hasn't done so in the last 10 years! But I digress.)

I have always thought that these extreme Hardcore fans, who get into fights at games because someone has the "audacity" to root for the other team, or wear its jersey, are the biggest jerks, and really need to get a life. They act as if they're part of the damn team, when meanwhile they can't run, pass, catch, block or tackle. So if you want to root for "your" team, fine, go ahead and root, but don't get carried away to the point that you want to kill yourself (or worse, someone else) because "your" team let you down.

On the other hand, if your fantasy team wins, that's a source of TRUE PRIDE, because You actually had something to do with it. And of course, have TRUE EMBARRASSMENT (and do consider suicide--LOL) if your Fantasy team blows it, because that IS YOUR FAULT (LOL).

Fantasy rules forever! I've got to admit, it's much easier to watch the games now that Fantasy Season is over. Now I can analyze the strategy objectively, instead of saying, "Just give the damn ball to LT, he's the man!" (even though he clearly is NO LONGER the MAN!).

Frank
FrankScott
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joejlitz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:41 pm

FrankScott wrote:Joseph, I am with you all the way. I am (was?) a diehard Jet Fan, but I root my a$$ off for my Fantasy players, even if it means rooting against the Jets. A great example was John Karlsen (whose name i may be misspelling, because I just picked him up this week), who helped me win my championship by catching a TD against the Jets. My wife was complaining, but I was like, "F*** the Jets, that's my Tight End!"

My team is way more important than the Jets (or plug in any favorite NFL team a fantasy owner may have). Why? Because I built this team, and managed it myself, and used my own money, competing against my own peers. No relying on some stupid "ManGenius!" I'm the "Genius" who put this team together and won it all. (I should note that I'm the same genius that hasn't done so in the last 10 years! But I digress.)

I have always thought that these extreme Hardcore fans, who get into fights at games because someone has the "audacity" to root for the other team, or wear its jersey, are the biggest jerks, and really need to get a life. They act as if they're part of the damn team, when meanwhile they can't run, pass, catch, block or tackle. So if you want to root for "your" team, fine, go ahead and root, but don't get carried away to the point that you want to kill yourself (or worse, someone else) because "your" team let you down.

On the other hand, if your fantasy team wins, that's a source of TRUE PRIDE, because You actually had something to do with it. And of course, have TRUE EMBARRASSMENT (and do consider suicide--LOL) if your Fantasy team blows it, because that IS YOUR FAULT (LOL).

Fantasy rules forever! I've got to admit, it's much easier to watch the games now that Fantasy Season is over. Now I can analyze the strategy objectively, instead of saying, "Just give the damn ball to LT, he's the man!" (even though he clearly is NO LONGER the MAN!).

Frank

Thanks, Frank. Awesome and funny response. I must admit that from my early teens to early twenties, I was probably that guy...ok I was that guy...that would instigate a confrontation other fans - nothing ever physical that I was sober enough to remember, but that's more likely because we always had the mob on our side. While I am older now, I still prefer that the Eagles come first. It's just a sense of community that is hard to get anywhere else. What other time of year does the city practically roll up its sidewalks and almost every Philadelphian is parked in front of the TV, at the game, or tailgating somewhere? Eagles Sundays are awesome experiences to be a part of. Everyone wants to talk about it, everyone wants to read about it, and everyone wants to be a part of the Eagles in Philly.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Wanguin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:50 pm

I laughed, I cried.

Great article, man.
Wanguin
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FrankScott » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:48 pm

joejlitz wrote:
FrankScott wrote:Joseph, I am with you all the way. I am (was?) a diehard Jet Fan, but I root my a$$ off for my Fantasy players, even if it means rooting against the Jets. A great example was John Karlsen (whose name i may be misspelling, because I just picked him up this week), who helped me win my championship by catching a TD against the Jets. My wife was complaining, but I was like, "F*** the Jets, that's my Tight End!"

Frank

Thanks, Frank. Awesome and funny response. I must admit that from my early teens to early twenties, I was probably that guy...ok I was that guy...that would instigate a confrontation other fans - nothing ever physical that I was sober enough to remember, but that's more likely because we always had the mob on our side. While I am older now, I still prefer that the Eagles come first. It's just a sense of community that is hard to get anywhere else. What other time of year does the city practically roll up its sidewalks and almost every Philadelphian is parked in front of the TV, at the game, or tailgating somewhere? Eagles Sundays are awesome experiences to be a part of. Everyone wants to talk about it, everyone wants to read about it, and everyone wants to be a part of the Eagles in Philly.

I really loved the movie "Invincible." Although I'm from Queens, a lot of the characters reminded me of neighborhood people when I was growing up. As a Philadelphian, did the movie properly capture Eagles fans?
FrankScott
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Article Discussions