reporter questioning marinelli about his daughter's choice.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

reporter questioning marinelli about his daughter's choice..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: reporter questioning marinelli about his daughter's choice..

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks mooch, that makes much more sense and makes the reporter not seem like an idiot as initially thought.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 pm

it was the way he phrased the question to imply that NimRod's daughter could/should have married a better man that is crappy.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Metroid wrote:it was the way he phrased the question to imply that NimRod's daughter could/should have married a better man that is crappy.

to be fair, i believe he asked if he wished she would have married a better D coordinator. kind of a tongue in cheek joke.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:21 pm

moonhead wrote:
Metroid wrote:it was the way he phrased the question to imply that NimRod's daughter could/should have married a better man that is crappy.

to be fair, i believe he asked if he wished she would have married a better D coordinator. kind of a tongue in cheek joke.

Yeah I suppose.
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 am

moonhead wrote:

From what I read, that is accurate. But the reporter is still a jerk. Question the nepotism - that valid. But why bring his daughter into it at all? NimRod is pissed, ""I just think any time you attack my daughter, I got a problem with that."

I got issues with this on two levels. #1 - reporters should not make the news, they should simply report it. As the article says, I believe this guy had thought of that line before the press conference and was just waiting to use it. #2 - reporters, and all professionals, should stay professional. That comment was unprofessional, pure and simple. If I were NimRod, I would have said right there in the press conference that it was unprofessional and that I would ask the Detroit News to send someone else to cover the team from now on. I would have made that statement public right there in the press conference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Domowitch: Reporters can ask questions but ...
By Paul Domowitch
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Columnist

REPORTERS ARE supposed to ask hard questions, whether the setting is a White House news conference or an NFL locker room.
But there is a big difference between asking hard questions and acting like a jerk.

Which brings us to Rob Parker.

Parker is a sports columnist for the Detroit News. Also does an occasional TV gig on an ESPN2 show called "First Take."

He's in the news - and on YouTube - this week for his over-the-line exchange with Lions coach Rod Marinelli following Detroit's 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints.

Parker wanted Marinelli to comment on the competence of his defensive coordinator, Joe Barry, which is perfectly understandable considering that the Lions are dead last in the league in just about every pertinent defensive category.

But he decided to make an issue of the fact that Barry also happens to be Marinelli's son-in-law. Asked him if Barry's marriage to his daughter pretty much made him fireproof, which is kind of an odd question to ask a guy who probably is a week away from getting his own walking papers.

This is just me, but if Parker really was interested in the nepotism angle, he probably should have asked the son-in-law question, oh, say, 2 years ago when Marinelli hired him, or last year, after the Lions also finished last in the league in defense.

Anyway, Parker wouldn't let up. "Tell me why he's doing a good job,'' he demanded. When Marinelli, an ex-Marine, gritted his teeth and gave him the ever-popular "It starts with me'' line that we've heard a thousand times from Andy Reid, Parker cut him short and asked: "Why is Joe Barry still employed as defensive coordinator? Why? Give me the reason why.''

"Because I'm in every meeting,'' Marinelli said. "I lead it. I lead the meetings now. I know exactly what I want.''

Responded Parker: "On a light note, seriously, do you wish your daughter would've married a better defensive coordinator?''

Full article:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/ ... t____.html
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:45 am

Two things to note Joejlitz. See how NimRod answers the question? He doesn't. He just moves into his mind numbing dialog in which he takes responsibility for everything except answering the questions.
Two, tell me how his daughter was being attacked? Seriously, can anyone tell me how that was negative in any way toward his daughter? Marrying the worst OC in football isn't a shamefull act, nor shows poor judgement.

A further point is the classlessness of Rod Marinelli. Here is the rest of this quote from the article you sight:
Parker wrote the next day that that last comment was an attempt "to lighten the moment in a tense situation.'' Neither Marinelli nor anybody else in the room got the joke.

In fact, Marinelli still was ticked off the next day. Asked about Parker's line of questioning, he said, "I just think any time you attack my daughter, I got a problem with that - in a room of stink [I'm assuming he's referring to the locker room, not the body odor or the assembled journalists] and as a man, and it was premeditated. I think there's something wrong with that, yeah."

First of all, what does it say about him that he wasn't mad when his daughter was supposedly attacked, but the next day. After, I suppose, he was told his daughter was attacted, or he rolled it around like a handful of marbles over night and decided it was an attack. This demonstrates his total inability to be a head coach. He lacks the ability to think on his feet. This is why the answer to any question is more NimRod jargon about not changing, going back to practice, his players work hard, has to look at the tape, blah blah blah. He cannot answer the questions becuase he hasn't had sufficient time to think about them. A head coach does not have the luxury of analyzing tape the next day, decisions have to be made right now. Marinelli is not capable of making the needed decisions to lead a team.
His response about the room of stink was a reference to the reporters in the room. Not just Parker, he say the room. That is a classless grade school snipe, using his own moronic jargon, at the reporters he has to deal with. He has taken shots at many of the reporters in the pressers over the years. I wish the gutless DET News org and/or Rob Parker would have been at this presser to answer Marinelli. Maybe he could have redirected Marinelli by telling him that the only room of stink was Ford Field last Sunday. And that the stink is on him. (Marinelli-who always says everything is on him)

I also think Parker's questioning was misdirected. He had lost his point by chopping at the tree, Joe Barry, instead of torching the forrest. He should have pointed out to Marinelli that when he says everything is on him and that he is happy with the work everyone else is doind, and that no changes will be made what he is really doing is removing accountability from everybody. So they don't feel the pressure they should to find an answer, they don't change. 0-15, 1 for the last 23. No accountability, no change. I wish Parker would have ask Marinelli if he wished his daughter would have had a good head coach as a father.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:54 am

moochman wrote:I wish Parker would have ask Marinelli if he wished his daughter would have had a good head coach as a father.

For some reason that sounds a whole lot better to me...funny it shouldn't, but it does. :-?
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:28 pm

moochman wrote:Two things to note Joejlitz. See how NimRod answers the question? He doesn't. He just moves into his mind numbing dialog in which he takes responsibility for everything except answering the questions.
Two, tell me how his daughter was being attacked? Seriously, can anyone tell me how that was negative in any way toward his daughter? Marrying the worst OC in football isn't a shamefull act, nor shows poor judgement.

Andy Reid does the same things at his press conferences - been doin' it for 10 years now as our head coach. The press and the fans hate it, but I don't mind. Truth be told, we're mostly used to it. I understand the reporters don't get the answers they want, but they are not entitled to them. Marinelli doesn't answer to the reporters. He answers to the owner. If the owner wants to ask about his coaches, than Marinelli will answer to those questions behind close doors. But the press and the fans are not entitled to know everything.
As for attacking his daughter, it's completely classless to even mention his daughter. "Do you wish she married a better defensive coordinator?" C'mon. How can you not think his daughter would not be offended by that? And if you offend my kids, then you offend me. It's as simple as that. No class.

moochman wrote:First of all, what does it say about him that he wasn't mad when his daughter was supposedly attacked, but the next day.
The article never says he didn't get mad right away. It says, "In fact, Marinelli still was ticked off the next day." "Still ticked off" means he was ticked off when it was said and was still ticked off the next day.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:02 am

joejlitz wrote:
moochman wrote:Two things to note Joejlitz. See how NimRod answers the question? He doesn't. He just moves into his mind numbing dialog in which he takes responsibility for everything except answering the questions.

Andy Reid does the same things at his press conferences - been doin' it for 10 years now as our head coach. The press and the fans hate it, but I don't mind. Truth be told, we're mostly used to it. I understand the reporters don't get the answers they want, but they are not entitled to them. Marinelli doesn't answer to the reporters. He answers to the owner. If the owner wants to ask about his coaches, than Marinelli will answer to those questions behind close doors. But the press and the fans are not entitled to know everything.
As for attacking his daughter, it's completely classless to even mention his daughter. "Do you wish she married a better defensive coordinator?" C'mon. How can you not think his daughter would not be offended by that? And if you offend my kids, then you offend me. It's as simple as that. No class.

moochman wrote:First of all, what does it say about him that he wasn't mad when his daughter was supposedly attacked, but the next day.
The article never says he didn't get mad right away. It says, "In fact, Marinelli still was ticked off the next day." "Still ticked off" means he was ticked off when it was said and was still ticked off the next day.

Marinelli never said boo when it happened or even later in the day. And there is nothing to be ashamed of if the truth is being told. Why would the daughter be offended? Becuase her husband blows at his job and it's being pointed out? Joe Barry has been the worst DC by definition. The only shame is that he would not still have a job if he weren't the coaches son-in-law. I don't agree with bringing up the daughter at all, but I don't buy how that constitutes an "attack on my family".
Read some of Marinelli's press conferences. He doesn't appear to understand, or be capable of responding to the essence of the questions. No matter how direct they are.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting