Retroactive Rule Change costs me 2009 1st Draft Pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Retroactive Rule Change costs me 2009 1st Draft Pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Retroactive Rule Change costs me 2009 1st Draft Pick

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:50 am

In one of the of my Dynasty Leagues I had a very bad year but was at least hopeful for next year since finishing last assured me the first round draft pick for 2009... or so I thought.

Our rules clearly listed in our draftroom here on the Cafe say this about draft order:
4. For all subsequent rookie drafts, the order will be the reverse of the past season's end of season ranking (i.e. #12 overall drafts first, league champion drafts last.)

Unfortunately, Fleaflicker automatically puts the losing teams into a consolation playoff bracket, and when I asked if that Consoltion bracket meant anything, the Commish decided to change the rules so that the winner of the consolation bracket gets the first pick. When I objected, he said he was sorry but that was his decision. I AM in some other Fleaflicker leagues where the 1st round draft pick goes to the consolation round winner, but that rule was decided upon PRIOR to the beginning of the season, not after it.
Yesterday, I lost in the consolation finals and now supposedly get the 2nd pick in the draft, and not the first. Being that this means I won't be able to pick Knowshon, I am really Peeved.
Here is how the retroactive rule change altered the draft order for next year.
Team A went from 1st to 2nd pick
Team B went from 2nd to 6th pick
Team C went from 3rd to 1st pick
Team D went from 4th to 5th pick
Team E went from 5th to 4th pick
Team F went from 6th to 3rd pick
Also, the way that Fleaflicker seeds the playoffs instantly resulted in draft order improvements for 2 teams just by virtue of them getting a bye in the 1st round of the consolation playoffs.

Is the league commish changing the rules after the fact, without any league vote, an okay thing to do? Anyone else have this happen in their Fleaflicker league???

I don't know if there is anything I can do about it, but just posted the following on our league's Fleaflicker message board.

Can't remember if I've ever been in a league where the Commish stepped in and changed the rules for who gets the first draft pick AFTER the regular season had concluded.

If you read the rules clearly posted in our Leagues Draftroom, this is what they say:
"4. For all subsequent rookie drafts, the order will be the reverse of the past season's end of season ranking (i.e. #12 overall drafts first, league champion drafts last.)"

I don't see a freakin thing in the rules about the leagues worse regular season needing to then also win a consolation playoff in order to keep his first pick in the draft.

Can't say that in all my years of playing FF I have ever been in a league where the Commish changed a rule after the season ended which impacted RETROACTIVELY that just concluded season.

Of course, this retroactive and un-voted upon change has cost me the first draft pick which, according to the rules, I had earned during the regular season.... so of course I am pissed by this Bush league change.

Anyone know what else I can do about it???
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Retroactive Rule Change costs me 2009 1st Draft Pick

Postby dupree » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 am

It is bad form to change rules after the start of the season (barring clarification or unintended interpertations, issues not covered by existing rules etc, etc). I agree with your post to the league and I think the Commish is out of line.

However, if the commish and league disagree with your argument there isn't much to be done other than go with the flow or find a new league next year. Hopefully the rest of your league agrees with you and chime in on behalf of the rules as they were set at the draft....

(I would hesistate to use the word "earn" when talking about finishing last though.... :-b )
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm

dupree wrote:It is bad form to change rules after the start of the season (barring clarification or unintended interpertations, issues not covered by existing rules etc, etc). I agree with your post to the league and I think the Commish is out of line.

However, if the commish and league disagree with your argument there isn't much to be done other than go with the flow or find a new league next year. Hopefully the rest of your league agrees with you and chime in on behalf of the rules as they were set at the draft....

(I would hesistate to use the word "earn" when talking about finishing last though.... :-b )

Agreed on ALL counts ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ABA316 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Agreed with what has been posted..barring a unanimous vote it is bush to change this midseason.

I'm curious..where was the commish's team in this?
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Rules should never be changed midseason unless there is an absolute need for it...and even then it should be discussed amongst the league owners. FF comissioners are not dictators, though many seem to think they are.

Please post what ends up happening.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby milostyl » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:22 am

Agree with above posts. I commish my primary league, the only one I play for money and I make sure to take votes on everything before drafting begins every year. Scoring settings, keeper settings, draft order for the next year, trade deadlines, everything is settled before we even draft.

I don't change anything unless I have majority vote and if any issue is brought to me, I put it to the league. If there is controversy it's put to a vote. Even if 1 player speaks up against something, we vote. If votes are close to even, I try to make a settlement. That's what a commish is supposed to do.

A commish should never change things flat out without consulting the league or handling it democratically midseason. That is a major deal that should be pushed. Especially if money is on the line. I say make an issue of it, get other players talking, especially those who are majorly affected by the draft order. He had no right to handle it like a dictator, that's not a commish. If it isn't settled find another league. Good luck to that nutjob on finding someone to fill your spot given the circumstances.
milostyl
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm

I went and visited our Cafe room for this league and realized that I am actually one of THREE Commish's for this league, at least as far as our Cafe room and RULES are concerned. Only one of us has Commish status on fleaflicker and he is the one who went and decided to change how draft order is determined after our season had ended.

So, I put this issue up to a vote on our Cafe Draftroom, and will let you know how owners vote.
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 pm

Actually, as long as you promise NOT to post, email or PM the owners involved, you can check out how the vote goes by checking out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=319&t=435020&p=2998109#p2998109 .
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:39 am

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Anyone know what else I can do about it???

Go Kaiser Soze on the commish: kill his friends, kill his family, kill people who owe him money.

Seriously, though, I don't know if you expect real replies. You've voiced your objection; it apparently hasn't been successful; you can stay in the league (in which case I would suggest stop posting rants); or you can leave the league. Those are your options. There's no FBI of fantasy leagues that you could report your commissioner to or whatever.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner