Where's my present?!?! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Where's my present?!?!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Where's my present?!?!

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:I got the daughter a bunch of fun stuff - some movies, some craft stuff, a bunch of princess dress-up stuff, etc. Funny thing is, the thing she likes the best is an old hand-held magnifying glass I found in a drawer and gave her on a whim. It wasn't even a present, just something I thought she'd have fun with. That thing hasn't left her side in four days - to the store, to grandma's, to bed... she even wanted to take it in the shower but I told her no. :-b

Kids are funny.

My favorite thing about Christmas is watching all the adults trying to get my neices and nephews to play with--or at least acknowledge--all the fancy gifts they gave them, while the kids want nothing more than to play with the discarded wrapping paper and boxes.

The good thing is that we don't spend much money on her, so she's not in to the material "gimme! gimme!" stuff. She just likes to get whatever she gets, and when she doesn't play with it, it's no big deal. And everything she opens she says, "This is what I always wanted!" :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:I got the daughter a bunch of fun stuff - some movies, some craft stuff, a bunch of princess dress-up stuff, etc. Funny thing is, the thing she likes the best is an old hand-held magnifying glass I found in a drawer and gave her on a whim. It wasn't even a present, just something I thought she'd have fun with. That thing hasn't left her side in four days - to the store, to grandma's, to bed... she even wanted to take it in the shower but I told her no. :-b

Kids are funny.

My favorite thing about Christmas is watching all the adults trying to get my neices and nephews to play with--or at least acknowledge--all the fancy gifts they gave them, while the kids want nothing more than to play with the discarded wrapping paper and boxes.

And bubble wrap. I have a friend who's little daughter played and played with the bubble wrap that accompanied the intended gift. This year she asked for bubble wrap for Christmas. They got her something different, but went out and bought a ton of it. When the clock hits midnight New Year's Eve we're going to go nuts with some bubble wrap. Might not be muskets and champagne, but it'll be good fun.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Bought my sons (diehard Cowboy fans like Dad :-D ) each a Texas Stadium pictorial with Final Season medalions. Pretty cool pic, almost got one for myself!

Tomorrow we are going to burn them after yesterdays loss to the Eagles! 8-o :~(
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:19 am

knapplc wrote:And everything she opens she says, "This is what I always wanted!" :-D

:-b Anything my son opens, that is the exact phase he uses....except the pair of gloves my sister bought him (he already has the same pair). You should have seen the look on his face 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:26 am

dream_017 wrote:
knapplc wrote:And everything she opens she says, "This is what I always wanted!" :-D

:-b Anything my son opens, that is the exact phase he uses....except the pair of gloves my sister bought him (he already has the same pair). You should have seen the look on his face 8-o

Like, "You wrapped up my own stuff!?!?" :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am

dream_017 wrote:

I really screwed up on that vein this year. I told my folks some movies for my daughter, then totally forgot and bought two of them myself. When she opened them at Grandma's house she was sad, and my dad's all, "These are what you told us to get!" and I was the bad daddy. :,-(

We have receipts and we'll exchange them, but that wasn't cool.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am

knapplc wrote:We have receipts and we'll exchange them, but that wasn't cool.

Something that Santa brought didn't work properly. On Saturday, when my bro-in-law was going out to run errands and take it back for an exchange, my niece noticed it sitting there with a Costco receipt.... that didn't go over well.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 am

I renewed my boy's faith in Santa this year. He was getting skeptical about the whole thing, and maybe still is. He made up a letter in which he requested that Santa sign, as well as all the reindeer. So I signed for him and, in Santa's "handwriting", explained that reindeer have hooves and can't write so he signed all their names for them. He was ecstatic that morning so it went over pretty good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 pm

I fully understand, and basically agree with the Santa Myth and fostering it in children, but I guess I don't understand going to extreme lengths to trick a kid whose natural intuition and inquiry has led them to question Santa's legitimacy.

edit: That wasn't directed specifically at you, Omaha. I wouldn't classify what you described there as "extreme," though I know people who have gone to ridiculous lengths to trick their kids into continuing the belief.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 pm

I've waffled on the Santa thing. I've gone from thinking I would never tell my kid about Santa, to actively encouraging letters to Santa and messing with the fireplace Christmas morning so it looks like someone came through overnight. It's a charming little thing that kids like, so I go with it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk