#4, not bad for our "efforts"...? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

#4, not bad for our "efforts"...?

Moderator: Football Moderators

#4, not bad for our "efforts"...?

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Well guys, according to the Seattle PI today, the Hawks have locked up the #4 draft pick (somehow winning whatever tiebreaker they needed to win to "beat" out Cleveland). Lets get the rumor mill started with who they should take and what they should do with the pick in general...

I personally move for picking Michael Crabtree or doing what needs to be done to address the offensive line. What to you all think? :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: #4, not bad for our "efforts"...?

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Here is the link - eighth or ninth paragraph down...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm thinking we need to think about the future at QB and/or OT. I appreciate Matt and all he has been, but he's getting older and injury prone. That back injury could be ongoing and problematic from what I've heard. Mebbe time to look into an heir apparent.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby biju » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I'm thinking we need to think about the future at QB and/or OT. I appreciate Matt and all he has been, but he's getting older and injury prone. That back injury could be ongoing and problematic from what I've heard. Mebbe time to look into an heir apparent.

Well, since I trash talked Seneca Wallace in my post regarding "what didn't work" this year I've kind of done a 180.

I hate to say this, but I think it's time to give Seneca Wallace the reigns. Along with that I think it might be time to give Hasselbeck his walking papers. This is not because I feel Hasselbeck wouldn't be able to contribute next year, but rather that Wallace could very well be a QB1 in this league and saving Matt's $9.6M salary would allow us to make a move for T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the offseason.

So we acquire Housh with a 5 year contract, however structure it so it's more of a 3 year contract, escalating heavily in the last two years, and keep the signing bonus low so when we drop him in 3 years it doesn't hit our cap as bad in 2012. That gives us Housh, Branch, Nate Burleson, and some of these younger guys, like Courtney Taylor, who started to make a showing at the end of the year.

With the running game we stay pat. Maurice Morris is out and he was Holmgren's guy. I think Julius Jones is the guy next year with short yardage going to T.J. Duckett (I've nicknamed him "the Meat" at home). In passing downs if Jones isn't cutting it we can use Leonard Weaver (The Face Cleaver) who is strong both in blocking and the passing game.

That leaves, on offense, the O-line in need. With the #4 pick we grab up Andre Smith (if he falls into our lap) or Michael Oher.

In the second round I'm serious in saying that if Duke Robinson somehow makes it back to us we go there too, although if I had to guess I would expect the Steelers to snag him up seeing how much losing Alan Faneca seemed to make on Big Ben's health.

Otherwise, we go DT in round two. But "fixing" our defense is a whole different story.

It's entirely possible that grabbing a high-end DT is our key to success instead of trying to fix our O-line, but I think in looking to the future a little bit the best move is to find a solid replacement for Walter Jones ASAP.

At any rate, I hope this little bit of getting "lucky" and getting a high draft spot helps us out for the long term. I would hate to see us grab Crabtree and him to bust, while Walter Jones retires and we end up being the new Lions with high priced WRs and no O-line. :-o

One other thought I had was to try to trade that pick and move down. Pick up an extra pick in the 2nd and go with one of the "lesser" LTs in the draft like Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe and then take that high 2nd round pick and go DT. But trading down only makes sense if Andre Smith doesn't fall to us. At any rate, I haven't done any thorough research on the LTs in the draft so I'm not sure if going further down makes sense.

Ok, enough rambling. Sorry if you actually read this far. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 pm

biju wrote:Ok, enough rambling. Sorry if you actually read this far. :-D

Wha... you kidding?
Dude, I love biju posts. They are clearly among the best reads in the Cafe! ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:10 am

I like biju's plan for sure ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Postby biju » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Two other things I was just thinking about:

1) With the Redskins signing DeAngelo Hall I wonder what kind of in-roads we can have with Zorn to trade for Carlos Rogers. Getting another CB of his caliber would be huge for our secondary. Then we make Kelly Jennings and Josh Wilson fight to the death for the nickel and hopefully they pick up their game as well.

2) Alex Gibbs. I noticed that Gibbs went and worked with Kubiak in Houston, whom he had previously worked with in Denver. I wonder if he's interested in coming up here to work with our O-line. I'm not suggesting that Mike Solari has already worn out his welcome, but we might have a shot at a legend here and it could *really* help our running game if he comes here. He's worked in a "consultant" role before so maybe that's what we do. Then again, maybe Mora goes with his own guy here.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:58 am

As a Seahawk fan who grew up/lives in Redskin territory and watches most of their games, I am not Carlos Rogers fan. :-P

I like your draft plans though, but of course wouldn't be upset if we got Crabtree.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:23 am

I would be happy with any one of these three. WR (Crabtree), a tall corner, or a OT.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Mugrila wrote:As a Seahawk fan who grew up/lives in Redskin territory and watches most of their games, I am not Carlos Rogers fan. :-P

I like your draft plans though, but of course wouldn't be upset if we got Crabtree.

I admit I haven't watched Carlos Rogers enough to really know if he's a huge upgrade, but for me it speaks volumes about my lack of confidence in our CBs. It certainly could be something we address in the draft, but I'm hoping we can kind of strike gold with someone who will flourish more in our system.

Rogers is a solid cover corner from what I've seen, but I've probably only watched two Redskins games this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Seattle Seahawks