When should keepers be decided by? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

When should keepers be decided by?

Moderator: Football Moderators

When should keepers be decided by?

Postby richiro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am

I have a fleaflicker league with 2 keepers. Out of curiosity, when do you guys think our keepers should be decided, and rosters emptied before our draft next year? I ended up doing it like 2 weeks in advance last year, but I really had no idea what to do.

Should teams have there full rosters to trade throughout the offseason? Draft picks can be moved in this league. Any specific dates that you guys have when you empty out rosters besides keepers?

Thanks and I appreciate any responses.
richiro
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When should keepers be decided by?

Postby mariners100 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 am

My plan for my FF league is to keep the rosters full so players can trade players/draft picks and have the teams declare their rosters 3 weeks before the draft. I have them declare earlier because I want the other teams to view the available players and with a lot of owners taking vacations in the summer, you want to be fair to everyone. After the keepers are set, I drop all players from the teams (not kept) into the Draft pool.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby richiro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:54 pm

thanks for the reply, So 3 weeks huh? That's about the time I did it last year...just wanted to see if there was a better time experienced by others.
richiro
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mariners100 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm

It depends on your draft. If you draft the Sunday before the first game then 3 weeks isn't bad. If you hold you draft during the first week of August, you might only want to give a week. I like to give people time to declare their keepers so people can plan their drafts a little bit. Plus I have a ton of owners that travel during the summer so I like to give everyone time to look over who is available. I think the standard is 1 week or 2 weeks before draft day.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:49 pm

I do it a week before the draft. Your main concern is having everyone be able to have as much info as they can get before deciding their keepers. Your secondary concern is giving people some sense of who is available pre-draft.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bombtek56 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:32 pm

The earliest ESPN let me set our keeper selection date was July 1st which i used since I am trying to get the draft done in early August.

I think 3-4 weeks is plenty of time for teams to work out who there targets are from the draft pool.
bombtek56
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Matthias wrote:I do it a week before the draft. Your main concern is having everyone be able to have as much info as they can get before deciding their keepers. Your secondary concern is giving people some sense of who is available pre-draft.

this is what we shoot for as well
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby diggers31 » Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Keepers are due before NFL Camp begins in our league. We draft the last weekend of preseason. You are not binded to your keeper, but you cannot switch it either. That way it is fair if someone gets injured.
diggers31
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner