Need help with trading draft picks. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help with trading draft picks.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need help with trading draft picks.

Postby calicocal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello I am in a 12 team keeper league that just finished its first year. We can keep 3 players from year to year and are trying to figure out how to trade players for draft picks. The keeper rules are as follows:

-If you keep a player you lose a draft pick that is 2 up from where the player was drafted.
-If you already are keeping a player that would make you lose a draft pick you have already lost you lose the next one down. So if you kept 2 first rounders you would lose a 1st and 2nd, if you kept 3 first rounders you would lose 1st 2nd and 3rd ect
-free agents and players selected after the 9th round are treated as 9th round picks.

We are unsure of what rules we should have in place regarding the trading of draft picks. I would appreciate it if you guys would give me some of your rules regarding this so I have some idea what to do.
calicocal
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need help with trading draft picks.

Postby LegendoftheFall » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 pm

sounds similar to my league. we keep up to 2 guys in the same round they were drafted the year before and fa's are kept as 8th rounders. Our rule is that you have to have a draft pick for the round you are keeping them in.(so no trading the draft pick if keeping a guy in that round) If 2 players are kept from the same round the previous round pick is given up.

i guess if you wanted to allow it, then you could make the team give up the previous round pick if the exact round isnt available.

draft picks are traded the same as players, for other draft picks or for players, or a combination. makes for alot of fun strategizing.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need help with trading draft picks.

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 pm

My rule on trading of draft picks is simple: I wouldn't allow it.

If you feel like you have to allow it, I would put in the same restrictions for draft picks as you do for players. Having someone else's draft pick counts towards your 3-player maximum. If you don't do this, you would short-circuit the whole point in having a keeper limit. If some guy punts on a season, has 3 decent keepers, and then trades all the rest of his guys for 6 extra draft picks, it's not going to be a very fun league for everyone else the next year. Of course, once you put in that rule, people will say, "Well, then what's the point of trading draft picks" and they'll probably be right, which is why I just wouldn't get into it.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner