Steelers' 2009 schedule reverses course - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers' 2009 schedule reverses course

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steelers' 2009 schedule reverses course

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 pm

I have a hard time seeing us dropping that game at the Bears...Cutler gives them a chance but still having no receivers makes it a margineable increase. I think we could finish as well as 14-2 even as they are all certainly winnable games...I'm sure we'll drop one or two along the way though at least. Titans will be tough but we have them at home...I think if we start 2-0 we could be on our way to the league's best record next year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby petedog9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:40 pm

No way they lose that opener against Ten. After the thrubing they took last year in Ten and the whole "towel incident". Tomlin will have this team fired up. Especially with all the hoopla and the SB banner and all.. Tennesse falls back to mid pack IMO. Pitt went up and down the field on them last year but turnovers killed them... That wont happen again..

Is 16-0 being too optimistic?? Seriously looking at that schedule, they can win every game on the books... Its a very easy schedule IMO with few danger games....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Munboy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I agree with Matt and Pete. The first two games are very winnable. The Titans coming into Pittsburgh after the towel stomping? They're not going to be able to hear a thing with the crowd going at it all game. Yes, Cutler gives the Bears an outside chance, but he has a TE to throw to and that's about it. I'm not worried about Hester. He can only create separation with straight line speed, and the Steeler's Zone D usually takes those type of plays away. ;-D

I would have given the Raven game @ Baltimore to the Ravens if it weren't a Monday night game. The Steelers usually sparkle on the national stage. One game that could trip up the Steelers could be @ San Diego. Merriman coming back should help get their D back on track.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Munboy wrote:One game that could trip up the Steelers could be @ San Diego. Merriman coming back should help get their D back on track.

FYI, that game is at Heinz Field on a Sunday night.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby petedog9 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 am

Man I wish that game was in SD... Then I could go and see it.... I was so waiting for the schedule to come out because I knew Pittsburgh was playing two California teams in Oakland and SD. I figured at least one of those game would be on the road.... NOPE!! !@#$%^& Very pissed... The closest they come west this year is Denver for a monday nighter...

I now have to wait for 2011 when they play the NFC Worst and hope they come to San Fran.. Or its another Roadie to Pitt...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Lung » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 pm

If the Steelers and Chargers are among the top teams in the AFC in 2009, they could play each other again in 2010 as part of the 2 'swing games' in the schedule. And there is a very good chance that game would be in San Diego.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm

We'll see. I think even 14-2 is pushing it because we can't assume the Steelers will hold all but one opponent under 300 yards again next year. Last year's defense put up one of the better single-season performances in NFL history, but in the NFL such a dominant performance is rarely repeated. Obviously they'll still be in the top five, but last year the Steelers counted on their defense to win almost every game for them. The offense needs to step it up for the Steelers to reach a 13-3 or 14-2 mark.

Also keep in mind that while a win may be the most likely scenario most weeks, it won't be the one that ultimately plays out every time. The loss to Oakland a couple years ago certainly proves that. It might be better to evaluate games in terms of percentages rather than absolute W/L to account for this. I tried this, but I think I underestimated their chances because I got 11 wins flat.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Munboy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

The Lung wrote:
Munboy wrote:One game that could trip up the Steelers could be @ San Diego. Merriman coming back should help get their D back on track.

FYI, that game is at Heinz Field on a Sunday night.

oops. My bad. I just glanced at the schedule and thought it was in SD. In that case, the Steelers should win. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers