This is a Nightmare - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

This is a Nightmare

Moderator: Football Moderators

This is a Nightmare

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 am

Ugh... I've been up all night working on my college applications, most of which are due in a day or two. These things are a nightmare, so much to write. My eyes hurt and I haven't eaten in almost 8 hours. Probably serves me right for procrastinating though. At this point I'm so sick of this I couldn't care less if I go to university or not. But I must... keep... going... :-o X-I
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: This is a Nightmare

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:43 am

Sometimes, when I've been sitting at my desk too long, my vision starts to cut out and there's a blank spot where the monitor should be. Then I stick my thumbs in my eyes and I see stars. Once I thought I saw a rocket ship, but it turned out I was watching Star Trek.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 pm

I've been used to sitting at my computer 12 hours most days ever since my college days. Semester-long programming projects were just murder in college and well, at times, it feels no different with work today. It takes me about an hour and a half to fall asleep most nights because I'm usually overthinking about design and the worst nightmares are coding nightmares (even the good coding dreams, I'd say too). I balance that out by taking little breaks in between, sometimes jogging for 10 minutes or so for no apparent reason, and taking a 1-2 hour lunch also helps to relax. ;-D

I can understand the college application anxieties too, but I didn't experience deadline procrastination like some did. I was pretty much excited about the application process so much so that I couldn't wait to fill out the applications and make visits.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Sucks dood. Fortunately for me, each of my top choices were rolling admission so I was pretty much forced into doing my apps early, because it allowed me to have a better chance of getting into kolej.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:25 pm

I'm going to college for the first time next month and I'm 32. I've had zero anxiety during my application process...probably because I'm starting light at a community college. I do remember filling out apps. in high school though, thinking I was going to head to college straight away that sucked....and man I'm glad I didn't. I highly doubt I would have made it through, I just wasn't ready. Seems like young people graduating from high school are pushed too hard to go straight to college and made to feel like if they don't they're ruining their lives. Exactly the opposite would have been the case for me. Deciding to enter the work force right away taught me a lot. Having to earn a paycheck to house, eat, clothe, and feed myself at a young age was very important I think, it gave me a good work ethic. Also I have a great respect for the people out there busting their humps cooking our food, pumping our gas, building our homes, and working in factories making the things we use everyday....because I did all those things. And the experiences I've had through the years that I wouldn't have had had I been in college. At the same time I missed out on the college experience which a little part of me regrets. But all in all I think I made the right decisions to get me where I am now and I wouldn't change a thing, and know that I'm here I'm ready to go to college...I want to. ;-)

Man I kinda rambled there...guess what I'm getting at is make sure YOU are going to college because YOU want to, not because it's expected of you. And good luck to all of you young guys in whatever you choose. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:15 pm

Metroid wrote:Seems like young people graduating from high school are pushed too hard to go straight to college and made to feel like if they don't they're ruining their lives. Exactly the opposite would have been the case for me. Deciding to enter the work force right away taught me a lot. Having to earn a paycheck to house, eat, clothe, and feed myself at a young age was very important I think, it gave me a good work ethic.

Well, I think that pushing is justified to some extent. It's simply harder to get that peach job without having the foundation of a college education. It's certainly not a death sentence like some people make it out to be to not attend or walk away from college, it's just that it's harder to get your foot through the door for that desired job. Even now, a college degree doesn't net that prized entry-level job from the get-go either; I've known a few friends with college degrees who had gone unemployed for months entering the full-time job market. It can be a competitive rat race, both college (at the undergrad level) and the real world, which just makes it all that more important to find something you really enjoy doing and go for it if you can do it.

Otherwise, I do agree that one should go to college if they want to and feel prepared for it. I know that the first 2 years in college were the most depressing years I've ever faced. Studying abroad thereafter turned the corner for me and I started to enjoy the experience a little more the second time around. I couldn't shake off my depression completely during my time in college for a few reasons, but by the end, I found myself in a more comfortable groove with college (funny how that happened just when I was graduating :-b). Even if I was unprepared for college in the beginning, I'm glad I didn't sit on the sidelines for soul searching either and just had persevered through it. Hands down, working life is better than college for me, no question.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:40 pm

I just finished my applications about a month ago. Probably the most annoying things I have ever done. It's the same thing over and over. Thank god I finished ;-d
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:Seems like young people graduating from high school are pushed too hard to go straight to college and made to feel like if they don't they're ruining their lives. Exactly the opposite would have been the case for me. Deciding to enter the work force right away taught me a lot. Having to earn a paycheck to house, eat, clothe, and feed myself at a young age was very important I think, it gave me a good work ethic.

Well, I think that pushing is justified to some extent. It's simply harder to get that peach job without having the foundation of a college education. It's certainly not a death sentence like some people make it out to be to not attend or walk away from college, it's just that it's harder to get your foot through the door for that desired job. Even now, a college degree doesn't net that prized entry-level job from the get-go either; I've known a few friends with college degrees who had gone unemployed for months entering the full-time job market. It can be a competitive rat race, both college (at the undergrad level) and the real world, which just makes it all that more important to find something you really enjoy doing and go for it if you can do it.

Otherwise, I do agree that one should go to college if they want to and feel prepared for it. I know that the first 2 years in college were the most depressing years I've ever faced. Studying abroad thereafter turned the corner for me and I started to enjoy the experience a little more the second time around. I couldn't shake off my depression completely during my time in college for a few reasons, but by the end, I found myself in a more comfortable groove with college (funny how that happened just when I was graduating :-b). Even if I was unprepared for college in the beginning, I'm glad I didn't sit on the sidelines for soul searching either and just had persevered through it. Hands down, working life is better than college for me, no question.

What you want to do and what kind of life and living you desire also plays a role on your decision to go to college...at all really. You don't need to go to college to be a carpenter, or a plumber, or a factory worker, or a mason(as was the case for me). There are plenty of career opportunities out there that don't require a college education, all of which are necessary cogs in our society, some of which pay very well. Sure you can go to trade school for some of the construction trades but I learned more in the field working my way up the ladder than I would have in trade school, and in the end was making the same wage or more as the guy next to me that did go to trade school.

Obviously a higher education opens more doors and offers more opportunity, I would never discourage anyone from further educating themselves. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Canacuna » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 pm

I didn't have to write an application essay for college admission.

'Course, I was applying to the prestigious Eastern Washington University. May be a bit of a difference-maker.

So glad I'm almost done with college.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:Probably the most annoying things I have ever done. It's the same thing over and over.

Welcome to the next four years of your life.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to General Talk