The 2009 Grillin-N-Stuff Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The 2009 Grillin-N-Stuff Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The 2009 Grillin-N-Stuff Thread

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I've got ribs going on the grill right now (well, my assistant Mrs. knapplc does). I'm serving 15 people ribs, corn on the cob, beans and asparagus, plus Mac-n-Cheese for the kids. The ribs were rubbed last night and soaked up the goodness overnight, and the sauce is made and ready to go. Should be a fun night! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:54 pm

That sounds awesome, knapp. What's the occasion?

BTW, did you make a homemade BBQ sauce? That's one of my next things I want to do is start making my own bbq sauce.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby bmor8811 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 pm

scottaa1 wrote:That sounds awesome, knapp. What's the occasion?

BTW, did you make a homemade BBQ sauce? That's one of my next things I want to do is start making my own bbq sauce.

Yea, I've been using my grandma's old BBQ sauce recipe for years but I'm looking to change/spice it up? How you conjer yours up?
Thanks Leber for the sig!!
bmor8811
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterCafecaster

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Trying a couple new things today. Got a rock cornish game hen on the Weber. Used shears to cut the backbone/belly bone so it's two halves of a hen, then let it marinade all night.

Also trying grilled sweet potato. Slicing them into half-inch lengthwise cuts, brushing on a mix of smart balance, honey, and maple syrup. We'll see how it goes. ;-D
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I miss my grill! :~(

These two week bidness trips suck!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

game hen = SO not worth it. 'tastes like chicken' but it's difficult to eat and there's a lot of waste as I'm not going to try to eat the meat off a wing that's the size of a wishbone or a drumstick smaller than a thumb. :-t

Grilled sweet potato was pretty decent. Not a knock-your-socks-off side, but a nice change from the usual corn on the cob etc. grilled veggie. I used half inch slices, I'll go narrower next time so they will soften more without scorching in grill marks on the outside. Helps to have extra of the baste afterwards to put on the finished product.

All in all, not a grill session that I'll remember. There's always tomorrow :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 pm

scottaa1 wrote:game hen = SO not worth it. 'tastes like chicken' but it's difficult to eat and there's a lot of waste as I'm not going to try to eat the meat off a wing that's the size of a wishbone or a drumstick smaller than a thumb. :-t

Grilled sweet potato was pretty decent. Not a knock-your-socks-off side, but a nice change from the usual corn on the cob etc. grilled veggie. I used half inch slices, I'll go narrower next time so they will soften more without scorching in grill marks on the outside. Helps to have extra of the baste afterwards to put on the finished product.

All in all, not a grill session that I'll remember. There's always tomorrow :-)

Really? I've always enjoyed a good game hen. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out very good.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:58 pm

scottaa1 wrote: There's always tomorrow :-)

Fortunately, I'm a 'glass half full' kind of guy :-)

Flat iron steak, .7# at 4.99/# = $3.50
two ears white corn, husk on = .58 cent (no relation to fifty cent, or his midget brother, 50%)
4 small yellow skin/flesh taters = $1.25
seasonings, propane, tax etc = ~$2.50
-----------------------------------------------
~$7.83

Grilled the corn in husk. It was very sweet and crunchy. Ate one ear, sliced the kernals off the other for manana.

Put the taters in foil, added Smart Balance butter stuff, ground pepper, dill, rosemary, and half a teaspon of chicken bouillon granules, and half a cup of water. They came out AWESOME.

Did a dry herb on the flat iron (actually Emeril's gourmet burger mix. I don't usually go that route, but it was on sale cheap so I tried it). Sear it on a hot grill, take it off at rare, let it residual cook up to medium rare. Otherwise, it'll overcook and you may as well make fajitas.

Very tasty meal. Plus have the second ear of corn, two taters and the rest of the steak for a lunch tomorrow. Can't beat two awesome grilled steak meals for <$4 a plate :-)
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:08 am

scottaa1 wrote:game hen = SO not worth it. 'tastes like chicken' but it's difficult to eat and there's a lot of waste as I'm not going to try to eat the meat off a wing that's the size of a wishbone or a drumstick smaller than a thumb. :-t

I have three of these in the freezer and I've been trying to figure out what to do with them. Now I'm not so excited. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 am

knapplc wrote:I have three of these in the freezer and I've been trying to figure out what to do with them. Now I'm not so excited. :-b

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Really? I've always enjoyed a good game hen. Sorry to hear it didn't turn out very good.

They didn't taste bad or anything, it was just the effort put into to it was much greater than say the effort to grill a chicken breast, and the result wasn't markedly different. The hen had a stronger chickeny flavor, that was about it. I suspect the game hen is more about novelty in the presentation/appearance.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk