I hate to say it, but.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

I hate to say it, but....

Moderator: Football Moderators

I hate to say it, but....

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't think i can play fantasy football anymore. After three seasons of Roto fantasy baseball, fantasy football seems like childs play. I love watching football, especially college football, i just don't think i can ever get excited about the fantasy aspect of it anymore. It seems as though i have lost my way. Maybe one day i'll find it again, but to be honest, i'm GLAD that the football regular season is over!! :-D

2 months tell my draft and 3 months until the REAL season starts!!!! ;-)






PS... i was bored and thought this "discussion" might brighten up my day.... :-b
Image
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 6525
Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: South Stadium

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 pm

There are aspects of both fantasy football and fantasy baseball that I enjoy. The better guy usually wins in fantasy baseball but there's an element of excitement in fantasy football that is unmatched in my opinion.

Fantasy Football will always be better though for me personally but I know both have huge followings.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Congrats, son. Fantasy baseball is truly where it's at. This is my favorite time of the year: mock drafts, making projections, preparing rankings, spotting bargains/sleepers, and of course the league drafts themselves. Sure, it's like that with football, basketball, hockey, and whatever sport, but baseball tends to be more fun, which I can't put my finger on completely.

I love H2H fantasy baseball better than roto. They're both challenges I appreciate, but I like the fact every week is a new one and there's a day-to-day strategy that is sometimes overlooked.

I tried playing fantasy football again and wound up sleepwalking every part of the season. I didn't dedicate much time to prepare for football, with my mind squarely on the stretch run, and it actually hurt me since draft day. I try to pay attention to the NFL, but often times, I find the games being background noise.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 924
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oh, you didn't know?

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby biju » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Congrats, son. Fantasy baseball is truly where it's at. This is my favorite time of the year: mock drafts, making projections, preparing rankings, spotting bargains/sleepers, and of course the league drafts themselves. Sure, it's like that with football, basketball, hockey, and whatever sport, but baseball tends to be more fun, which I can't put my finger on completely.

I love H2H fantasy baseball better than roto. They're both challenges I appreciate, but I like the fact every week is a new one and there's a day-to-day strategy that is sometimes overlooked.

I tried playing fantasy football again and wound up sleepwalking every part of the season. I didn't dedicate much time to prepare for football, with my mind squarely on the stretch run, and it actually hurt me since draft day. I try to pay attention to the NFL, but often times, I find the games being background noise.


The funny thing about this is that everything you point to enjoying about baseball as opposed to football is the exact opposite for me. I really don't care about whether Pedro Feliz is going to hit .250 or .260 for the year. I don't want to worry about which umpire calls smaller strike zones. And most importantly, I hate watching baseball but I feel compelled to watch it because of the fantasy aspect. Seriously, I had much more "fun" with it by setting my lineup and just forgetting about it entirely.

Football to me has a much higher "chess game" aspect to it. It's a team effort and there is a higher amount of deviation in what happens on each play.

Now granted there are some aspects to fantasy baseball I can appreciate. First off, the fact that the person who puts in more time and effort and is generally considered a better player will win. (I can squarely say this because you and I played in a league two years ago (along with GSOE too) that I finished the "regular season" with the #1 spot--but lost in the playoffs.) I like that there is a style of play (roto) that highly caters against getting lucky, although I would say that H2H play completely eliminates this aspect.

I kind of think it ultimately comes down to which sport you enjoy watching more. To me, baseball is a sport that is really lame watching on TV and is fun in person as an event, not something you need to pay attention too. I eventually wander down to the beer garden and just get drunk and razzing the opposing center outfielder instead of even caring what else happens.

;-D
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm with you GSOE. (By the way - Hi! Good to see you!) I'm giving up fantasy football next year... either all five leagues or at the very least four. I'm tired of the fluke losses, the time wasted, and the devastation of my team through injury or apathy. With a much smaller sample size (13 games for football, 20/21 for baseball) it's far harder to overcome a fluke loss in football.

I love football, and baseball will never overtake football for me, but fantasy baseball seems much easier and much more controllable to me. Wasting time and money on fluke losses... not my idea of fun.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 pm

biju wrote:The funny thing about this is that everything you point to enjoying about baseball as opposed to football is the exact opposite for me. I really don't care about whether Pedro Feliz is going to hit .250 or .260 for the year. I don't want to worry about which umpire calls smaller strike zones. And most importantly, I hate watching baseball but I feel compelled to watch it because of the fantasy aspect. Seriously, I had much more "fun" with it by setting my lineup and just forgetting about it entirely.


I don't think it ever gets as technical as to playing the matchups on umpires' strike zones, but you're right, baseball tends to be a game that's very analytical on statistical trends. Some managers don't really want to delve deeper into sabermetrics because it's too much to take in all at once, but some get a high on it and most like it because there's something substantive to explain what's happening.

biju wrote:I kind of think it ultimately comes down to which sport you enjoy watching more. To me, baseball is a sport that is really lame watching on TV and is fun in person as an event, not something you need to pay attention too. I eventually wander down to the beer garden and just get drunk and razzing the opposing center outfielder instead of even caring what else happens.


Actually, there are times where I feel baseball games seem like an eyesore to watch. Baseball, to me, is a sport that's best experienced with the right mood. If I have time to relax and just want to slouch idly in the most comfortable chair in the house, with a few beers in hand, baseball makes for ideal viewing. Having the patience to watch the game within the game is required. For fantasy purposes, I like observing the players' hitting/pitching mechanics and see if I have something to take away from it to put against a fantasy context.

Football, on the other hand, caters well to those who feel like every play has to be significant and all-action, but I think you have to be excited for that big-game feel to really enjoy it (better yet, if you support a team and personally I can't say I'm a supporter of any team). Obviously, watching baseball and football in person is a fantastic experience which enhances the strengths for both games. Personally, I'm not that crazy about watching football on television. Too many breaks in the action, commercial breaks are rampant, and unless the game is really enthralling (speaking as a neutral), it runs a bit too long for my liking. I love the in-person football experience though, but more or less because of the tailgating before and the drinking at the local bar afterwards. I have more fun playing the Madden games than I do watching football or playing fantasy football for that matter. :-b
Image
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 924
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oh, you didn't know?

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:58 pm

What the heck is this crap.

Baseball = Marathon = Watching Grass Grow = Can't Wait for the commericials.

Football = Every Game Matters = Nuff Said. :-D


I'm not keeping track of the Nick Puntos of the world. :^
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:16 pm

RiffRaff wrote:I'm not keeping track of the Nick Puntos of the world. :^


Yeah it must suck to have to know more than 4-5 guys on each team...

And yes, I'm far more into fantasy baseball than I am football (also a lot better at baseball). The thing is though, I like fantasy football enough that I can still get into it and be pretty competitive. Sure, it's annoying that half the teams in the freaking league make the playoffs and I dislike the luck factors involved, but it's still fun for me.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby biju » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:23 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:I'm not keeping track of the Nick Puntos of the world. :^


Yeah it must suck to have to know more than 4-5 guys on each team...

And yes, I'm far more into fantasy baseball than I am football (also a lot better at baseball). The thing is though, I like fantasy football enough that I can still get into it and be pretty competitive. Sure, it's annoying that half the teams in the freaking league make the playoffs and I dislike the luck factors involved, but it's still fun for me.


It only feels like luck if you don't consistently win. :-D
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:32 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:I'm not keeping track of the Nick Puntos of the world. :^


Yeah it must suck to have to know more than 4-5 guys on each team...


Nick Punto is on my favorite team, but I'm not interested until the end of the season. That's when games start to matter.

An 11-5 team didn't make it to the playoff, yeah, that's not competitive. :-D

Just remember, I'm being :^
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 9:14 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact