Return to General Talk

I hate to say it, but....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:29 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:I'm not keeping track of the Nick Puntos of the world. :^

Yeah it must suck to have to know more than 4-5 guys on each team...

Nick Punto is on my favorite team, but I'm not interested until the end of the season. That's when games start to matter.

An 11-5 team didn't make it to the playoff, yeah, that's not competitive. :-D

Just remember, I'm being :^

Just for the record I was talking about fantasy baseball vs. fantasy football, not baseball vs. football.

And yeah, I got the :^ it's all good raff

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:50 pm

I can't get into the the first 9/10 of the baseball season, thus I can't get into Fantasy Baseball. :-)
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 pm

I did the opposite last year - decided to cut out fantasy baseball so I wouldn't have to worry about lineups and waiver wire pickups, etc, during the summer - I wanted to be free of that so I could concentate on spending quality time with my 5 year old for the entire summer - I did miss it a bit, but best decision I ever made!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby josebach » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:41 am

Fantasy baseball IMO is hands down a better game. In a 10 team 5x5 league, your win-loss record is comprised of 210 games. In football, it's 13. In addition, if you lose one week, you still get credit for whatever categories you win. In football it's all or nothing and losing by one point is just as bad for your record as if you lose by 50. This alone makes luck a MUCH bigger factor in football.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Well, let's see...

...I love baseball, love it with a passion, Go Cards. I was there when they won the world series last, it was an amazing experience. Baseball on TV = hell. it's awful. And the one time I tried fantasy baseball...it was awful. boring. There's a game every day, no buildup through the week.

Football rocks, I love it, but I can see what you're saying about not have to know as much about the teams (even though I do anyways. ;-) ), I've yet to take part in an IDP league, which is something I kinda wanna do next year, seems like it would add a whole lot to the game.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:36 pm

josebach wrote:Fantasy baseball IMO is hands down a better game. In a 10 team 5x5 league, your win-loss record is comprised of 210 games. In football, it's 13. In addition, if you lose one week, you still get credit for whatever categories you win. In football it's all or nothing and losing by one point is just as bad for your record as if you lose by 50. This alone makes luck a MUCH bigger factor in football.

FFB mimics real football much the same way FBB mimics real baseball in that in FFB and real football every game matters. I've never played FBB but I imagine it's much like real baseball in that you can lose a but load of games...sometimes more than half of them you play and still make the playoffs. I have a hard time following a sport where the season is so long and every game does not matter.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:Fantasy baseball IMO is hands down a better game. In a 10 team 5x5 league, your win-loss record is comprised of 210 games. In football, it's 13. In addition, if you lose one week, you still get credit for whatever categories you win. In football it's all or nothing and losing by one point is just as bad for your record as if you lose by 50. This alone makes luck a MUCH bigger factor in football.

FFB mimics real football much the same way FBB mimics real baseball in that in FFB and real football every game matters. I've never played FBB but I imagine it's much like real baseball in that you can lose a but load of games...sometimes more than half of them you play and still make the playoffs. I have a hard time following a sport where the season is so long and every game does not matter.

If you lose more than half your games you probably won't make the playoffs in basically any league. Also, if you're mentioning that it mimics real baseball, then that point is way off. In the MLB 8 out of 32 teams make the playoffs. There are teams that are way way way over .500 in the MLB that get left out every year.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I think the Twins might disagree with the notion that not every game counts. ;-)
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:57 pm

OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.

Couldn't somebody who doesn't really like football that much say that they don't start watching the NFL until the playoffs? :-?

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk