I hate to say it, but.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

I hate to say it, but....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby knapplc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:38 pm

Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.

This is why baseball is America's Pastime. You can spend just about any summer day sitting at a ballpark eating peanuts watching a game. 162 games kind of blurs into a mess after a while, but the length of the season is a big draw for me.

Football is and always will be my first love. But baseball is awesome, too. For fantasy sports, the longer season makes baseball more a factor of your own skill and knowledge and minimizes luck. After ten straight season of poor luck in fantasy football, I pretty much mailed in this last year, and I have better things to do than to waste time on a game I no longer enjoy.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:52 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.


Couldn't somebody who doesn't really like football that much say that they don't start watching the NFL until the playoffs? :-?


Like me. O:-)
Image
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 924
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oh, you didn't know?

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby josebach » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:23 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.


Couldn't somebody who doesn't really like football that much say that they don't start watching the NFL until the playoffs? :-?


Like me. O:-)


I'll take it one step further... the last 3 years, the only game I saw where I watched more than a single quarter was the Super Bowl. I must say, I did enjoy wathcing the Super Bowl, though. :-b I'll keep playing Fanatasy football only because I'm in a work league that I've won twice and I kind of feel obligated to keep playing. The draft is a lot of fun and usually makes playing the season worth it.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 am

Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.

That's usually about when I stop watching. But I'm a Mets fan, so by then I've usually got nobody to root for anyway. !+)
Image
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 874
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping The Snap

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.

That's usually about when I stop watching. But I'm a Mets fan, so by then I've usually got nobody to root for anyway. !+)

There's always a seat ready for you at Wrigley, h0rt. We're always having a party, win, lose or.... well, lose. Because we always lose. But at least we have fun doing it. ;-)
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:54 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.


Couldn't somebody who doesn't really like football that much say that they don't start watching the NFL until the playoffs? :-?

Um yeah I guess they could but what's your point? :-S

My point by saying that was that the regular season in baseball is too long, too many games are played and a boat load of them don't really matter. To me they play a seasons worth of games in the playoffs and thats when I'll watch. In football every game matters, sure there are exceptions, but for the most part every single game matters. If someone wants to skip the regular season of football thats fine but they're missing out. I'm not missing anything by skipping the Red Sox @ Oakland in March. :-?

bigh0rt wrote:
Metroid wrote:OK maybe not half but you can lose A LOT of games...The real reason I don't care for baseball is the length of the season. I don't watch baseball until the real season starts....and by "real" I mean playoffs.

That's usually about when I stop watching. But I'm a Mets fan, so by then I've usually got nobody to root for anyway. !+)

You can root for Met year round....just come over to the light side. :-B
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 am

I'm in the same boat with GSOE and Knapp. I'm down to one FF league and that's only because it's with some high school buddies and we've been at it for almost 10 years. Baseball is where it's at. I'm loving this new MLB TV.

Last year I didn't pay attention very much at all to FF, except the last 2 weeks when, somehow, I made it to the playoffs. I ended up winning the championship and that just killed it for me. That shouldn't happen and I'm pretty confident it wouldn't in a competitive baseball league.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am

i love both FF and FB, although i think i enjoy FB more...although it can be such a grind later in the year

i still love FF for the weekly trash talk and things like that...i just dont get the same feel with FB

i'm still at 5 FF leagues and i dont see any i can cut

also, this was a heartbreaking year for me...
League 1 - missed playoffs on tiebreaker. could have won twice during the season by playing Deangelo Williams. highest scoring team both playoff weeks
League 2 - went 12-2. lost by 0.26 in Semi's. would have won championship had i ahdvanced
League 3 - lost by 4.5 in semi's (1 Colston reception or 1 extra Colston rec yard would have kicked in a 5 point bonus). would have won title had i advanced
League 4 - had a shot at division title and most points (both $$$), choked the final week. lost in quarter finals. lost 3rd place game by 1.6 points (on a Forte reception in OT)
League 5 ousted in Wild Card round (cant really complain here...)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby quack quack » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 pm

I play both Fb and Ff and i lean more to baseball. FF to me makes the games more fun to watch and it makes trash talking fun. Its also something fun to do on a Sunday/Monday. I just cant stand the stupid losses where your projected to nearly double your opponent and the opposite happens :-° . Its too much based on luck and an injury in the 1st Q can desrtroy your whole week. If im going to take something seriously and put something on it I want to have more control of it based on draft prep, waivers, ect. Not - O my best #1 pick is going against the #1 D guess i have to bench him ( i know dont bench studs but even studs get shut down a few times a season and leads to a lost week). Baseball is more drafting a balanced team. If a stud goes down on tuesday- swich with a strong bench/ww player and with your other picks you still have a good shot if your teams strong. It is a grind and can even be seen as a mini-job at sometimes but thats why I love it. You determine the outcome of your team, not random factors that happen in FF. I love FF for the excitement level and will always play it but never too seriously. In baseball its tough, but if you watch little factors such as: Pitchers setting up batters, situational play, where each player has to go on each play, ect. Theres so much going on even when "nothing" is even happening. Both sports have thier own stregths and are my two favorites but as far as fantasy I go with Baseball
quack quack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 151
Joined: 31 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: I hate to say it, but....

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 pm

josebach wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Couldn't somebody who doesn't really like football that much say that they don't start watching the NFL until the playoffs? :-?


Like me. O:-)


I'll take it one step further... the last 3 years, the only game I saw where I watched more than a single quarter was the Super Bowl. I must say, I did enjoy wathcing the Super Bowl, though. :-b I'll keep playing Fanatasy football only because I'm in a work league that I've won twice and I kind of feel obligated to keep playing. The draft is a lot of fun and usually makes playing the season worth it.


Heretic!!!

Image

;-7 ;-) :-b
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 160)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:11 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact