unpaid entry fees - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

unpaid entry fees

Moderator: Football Moderators

unpaid entry fees

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm

every year i have 3-4 knuckleheads who forget to bring their $50 entry fee to the draft. this is a 10 team league of friends we've had for 9 years. Its a pain to try to collect from people after the draft and i was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to penalize teams for unpaid dues. (i know the easy answer is dont let them draft unless they pay, but the problem is we've got 10 guys coming from all over the state, its hard enough to get everybody in the same room at the same time for a draft, we cant just boot 2-3 guys right at draft time.) (also its a keeper league that goes year round, etc)

was thinking for next year maybe to take away the teams #1 draft pick, but was afraid this would benefit some teams (teams drafting behind the bums) more than others....but i do like how it handicaps the nonpayer without booting him out.

any ideas? (besides find new friends-ive already tried that :-b )
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: unpaid entry fees

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:46 pm

ps: ive tried making the unpaid teams inelgible to win any money but then they usually finish out of the money anyway, and the winners get hosed by not getting paid the full amount.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:17 pm

I have had this same thing happen routinely in my keeper league, and we found the best way to solve the problem was three-fold:

1) If your entry fee isn't paid by the kickoff of the season opener, your roster is locked with your first draft picks at every position, and you are not allowed to make changes or adds/drops until you have paid the entry fee. Then, if you still don't pay, we move to #2:

2) If you play all season with a frozen roster and still do not pay by the end of the 16-week fantasy season, you lose your draft pick and are moved to the end of the draft order regardless of finish (if multiple people tie, we do a series of virtual coin tosses, though this hasn't happened this year so I donno how it will work out).

3) The last option we have at our disposal, is that if you do not pay by the time the Super Bowl kicks off, you are not allowed back into the league until the league treasurer has your past and current entry in his hands on/before draft day of the following season.

$50 shouldn't bust anyone's chops, and if it does, they prolly shouldn't be playing fantasy sports anyway - it sucks, but you have to rule with an iron fist if you are in charge of payments/payouts and you want to keep everyone in line !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby grover99 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:23 pm

I have never really had a problem collecting money, however my brother runs an 8 team league. Last year he let a buddy slide on the entry fee at the draft. He never paid, ended up winning the league. So my brother told him that he had to pay double the entry fee this year by the draft or he wasn't welcome back. The guy agreed to it. He now has 2 to 4 people on standby draft day. That way if someone doesn't pay, they don't play.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Glad im not the only one.

in the other league i commish (10 teams-most are strangers), i let one guy slide because i worked with him and figured it wouldnt be hard to collect at work whenever he had it. soon after the draft he lost his job, wife had a baby, and i lost touch with him. Needless to say i still havent gotten his $$ after many messages left and calls not returned. he finished last but im sure would have found his way back had he finished in the money. The 2 winners were gracious enough (and i guess considered his situation), both let him slide without any complaints, but as commish it still ticks me off. from now on all entry fees will be collected before the draft or penalties will be enough to bury their team for the season.

what i dont like about freezing the lineup until paid in full is that it would benefit teams early on his schedule, then if he pays later, he'll start a better lineup vs. the rest of the schedule. i think penalties should be in the form of draft picks so the offender is punished but noone benefits more than anyone else. just my thoughts. thanks
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby IRISH56 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Having a similar problem. I have several guys that take their sweet time paying dues. I run a 10 team league where the dues are only $50. I always get the money, just takes a while. Meanwhile the winners are cryin for the money. Does anyone know of a site that each member pays the entry to the website. Then the site handles the payout? I don't even mind them taking a cut. I want to set it up so they can not get on the site until they pay the dues. Please help!

Sorry for hi-jacking your post, just seemed like a repeat question. And maybe help for you?
IRISH56
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby grover99 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:10 am

IRISH56 wrote:Having a similar problem. I have several guys that take their sweet time paying dues. I run a 10 team league where the dues are only $50. I always get the money, just takes a while. Meanwhile the winners are cryin for the money. Does anyone know of a site that each member pays the entry to the website. Then the site handles the payout? I don't even mind them taking a cut. I want to set it up so they can not get on the site until they pay the dues. Please help!

Sorry for hi-jacking your post, just seemed like a repeat question. And maybe help for you?

I believe one site is called leaguesafe.com. MFL endorses them I think.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ABA316 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am

I had one team that forgot his $$ at the draft. I was in contact with him and he was supposed to meet me at my second job but never showed up..said he'd get with me soon. Next time I heard any response was week 14 after I posted that I need a new owner for next year. No reply for 3 months yet I get ripped apart, called a bunch of 4 letter words etc within an hour of the post. Interesting..

Hindsight what it is, I should have given 2-3 weeks grace and then locked the team. I guess now I know what I need to go with in the future. Lesson learned, prepare for tempers to flare when enforcing such things.

In this case the owner did pay (thankfully), I had already taken the money out of my own hands to cover it. IMO that's what the most fair thing to the prize winners is to do.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LegendoftheFall » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:48 pm

i wouldnt pay out of my own pocket for unpaid people. the winners will just have to understand. i just passed along the contact info, told them the situation and they can try to collect if they want. the way i figure is that the commish is doing all the work and should prob get a free entry anyway- i do alot of extra stuff like hosting the draft, keeping up with keepers, and franchise stats, etc ( i havent pushed for that yet :-b ) but there's no way he should do all the work AND pay for the losers.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ABA316 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:30 am

I agree that ideally it works that way yes..however the way I saw it is part of being commish is collecting. If I was unable to do that in full then it's not fair to the winners, especially where payouts were announced already. Just my take..there's no right or wrong answer universally on that.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner