James Harrison named defensive player of the year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Harrison named defensive player of the year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Harrison named defensive player of the year

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Harrison recorded sacks in 10 of the 15 games he played this season. I don't know about you, but those are some pretty dominant numbers.

If that's the case Ware recorded a sack in 15 out of 17 games this season, and broke the record for most consecutive games recorded with a sack...Now granted the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs, but that didn't stop Brees from winning OPOY award so it depends on what the entire criteria was.

I'm not saying he didn't play "well" persay all year, but it didn't show up in the caliber warranting consideration for DPOY until the last 6 weeks...just look at his numbers:

First 10 games of the season: 23 tackles, 1 INT, 6 PD
Last 6 games of the season: 18 tackles, 8 INTs, 10 PD, and 1 Sack

He was without a doubt the DPOY for the final 6 games, but before that he wasn't even coming close to being on the radar for the award.

I am still looking at total body of work, and again what Reed has done this year for a FS is pretty unheard of, Harrison isn't having an outer-worldly year for an OLB in a 3-4, granted he's been dominating but I just don't find what he did at his position more impressive or dominant then what Reed has done...That said, I would of been fine with either of the 3 above mentioned players, I don't think playoffs should be brought into the conversation if it shouldn't be for OPOY, and the fact that most of us have never seen a FS dominate this year the way Reed has it what swayed my vote.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:01 pm

But the question is...did he do it all year? And I would say that no, Reed didn't "dominate" all season...just in those great 6 games he played at the end of the season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Harrison was definitely deserving. And I'm sure I'd be alone on this, but if I'm taking a Raven for Defensive Player of the Year, it's Ngata.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 pm

The problem with including Ed Reed in this discussion is that he may not even be the best safety who is a candidate, let alone the best player. Look at his overall stats compared to Troy Polamalu's:

Polamalu: 73 tackles (54 solo), 17 PD, 7 INT (0 for TDs), 0 sacks, 0 FF
Reed: 41 tackles (34 solo), 16 PD, 9 INT (2 for TDs), 1 sack, 1 FF

Reed definitely had more big plays, but his tackling numbers pale in comparison to Polamalu's; he's a full 32 tackles behind. It's one thing to be a play-maker dropping back into coverage, but it's another to do that and provide great run support at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with the type of defenses they're in, but I still think automatically considering Reed the best safety candidate for DPOY because of his interception numbers is shortsighted.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:The problem with including Ed Reed in this discussion is that he may not even be the best safety who is a candidate, let alone the best player. Look at his overall stats compared to Troy Polamalu's:

Polamalu: 73 tackles (54 solo), 17 PD, 7 INT (0 for TDs), 0 sacks, 0 FF
Reed: 41 tackles (34 solo), 16 PD, 9 INT (2 for TDs), 1 sack, 1 FF

Reed definitely had more big plays, but his tackling numbers pale in comparison to Polamalu's; he's a full 32 tackles behind. It's one thing to be a play-maker dropping back into coverage, but it's another to do that and provide great run support at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with the type of defenses they're in, but I still think automatically considering Reed the best safety candidate for DPOY because of his interception numbers is shortsighted.

I've never done that, and I don't know if anyone else thinks that way, but I certainly think Polamalu is in the discussion for MVP as well, I just would of chosen Ed Reed over him...But I agree that he should be in the discussion not just for safety but for MVP and I could see some people voting Polamalu over Reed, he had some pretty big plays himself.

That said, I wouldn't be trying to make a case for Polamalu just due to tackling numbers, that's also short sighted...Many times tackling numbers can be inflated due to many of reasons, and may not always reflect the play of the safety...Sometimes a defense may ask their safety to play more run support, and other times a defense may want him to play the pass because the corners need help...That's not really Ed Reed's job technically to float around the LOS, and when you have a guy like Ray Lewis in the middle you can see why.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 am

i love how all these MVP threads are just filled with guys who are talking up players from their favorite team. harrison over reed...fine. polamalu over reed ..im not buying that. reed was the best safety in the league this year, period.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:22 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i love how all these MVP threads are just filled with guys who are talking up players from their favorite team. harrison over reed...fine. polamalu over reed ..im not buying that. reed was the best safety in the league this year, period.

Don't forget Manning over Rivers. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:17 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i love how all these MVP threads are just filled with guys who are talking up players from their favorite team. harrison over reed...fine. polamalu over reed ..im not buying that. reed was the best safety in the league this year, period.

Anyone find it ironic that it's a Raven's fan pointing this out and then stating as a fact that Reed was better than Polamalu this year? I'm not saying it's wrong...just thought it was funny that you pointed that out and then proceeded to do the exact same thing... :-b
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i love how all these MVP threads are just filled with guys who are talking up players from their favorite team.

DeSean Jackson for MVP! What?!?!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 am

mattb47 wrote:

Anyone find it ironic that it's a Raven's fan pointing this out and then stating as a fact that Reed was better than Polamalu this year? I'm not saying it's wrong...just thought it was funny that you pointed that out and then proceeded to do the exact same thing... :-b

i didnt come into the thread proclaiming reed should have won the DPOY.... i didnt come in and simply say he was the best until people start throwing out players from the position that werent in the discussion, and that have bias....that wasnt the point of me posting in here. thats the difference. ;-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk