James Harrison named defensive player of the year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

James Harrison named defensive player of the year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: James Harrison named defensive player of the year

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:34 pm

ndirish84 wrote:alright well even the polamalu argument is dumb.. sure he's got a great eye for picking the ball off and running with it.. but hes not really that great of an all around player.. really how can you be this excited about a defensive player (especially a safety and a supposed team leader) whose tackles numbers are comparable to special teamers?

how can i be this excited about reed? have you watched him play? he was a few takeaways (including fumble recoveries) from averaging 1 a game. he had 3 tds. he put the offense in position to score religiously. in the ravens scheme he isnt supposed to tackle every play....he is a ball hawk. ill take a player who gets a couple of less tackles a game but can break a game open anyday.

and did you really just compare him to a special teamer? come on man....are you just messing with me? :-b

youve got to be a steelers fan. !+)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ndirish84 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:54 pm

no i compared his tackle statistics to a special teamer.. big difference dude.. and na im a jets fan unfortunately. and averaging one takeaway a game? how do you figure? nfl.com tells me 11 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.. those numbers don't exactly translate to 1 a game.. I'll take a player who's consistently making tackles and actually having an influence on every single drive rather than a player who got 4 interceptions (nearly half of his ever so amazing statistic of 9 INT in one season) in just the final two games of the season.
ndirish84
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 pm

ndirish84 wrote:no i compared his tackle statistics to a special teamer.. big difference dude.. and na im a jets fan unfortunately. and averaging one takeaway a game? how do you figure? nfl.com tells me 11 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.. those numbers don't exactly translate to 1 a game.. I'll take a player who's consistently making tackles and actually having an influence on every single drive rather than a player who got 4 interceptions (nearly half of his ever so amazing statistic of 9 INT in one season) in just the final two games of the season.

umm i said a few away. there are 16 games....do the math.

i think you are putting way to much importance on tackling...when the ravens offense is schemed for reed hawking balls. with the success of the ravens defense, you cant actually argue that it doesnt work....or maybe you can seeing some of your arguments thusfar...
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ndirish84 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 pm

yeah i think its safe to just say we're not going to agree on this because what it comes down to is Polamalu's a more all around player and Ed Reed gets more interceptions so i guess its whatever you think is more important
ndirish84
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:02 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
ndirish84 wrote:alright well even the polamalu argument is dumb.. sure he's got a great eye for picking the ball off and running with it.. but hes not really that great of an all around player.. really how can you be this excited about a defensive player (especially a safety and a supposed team leader) whose tackles numbers are comparable to special teamers?

how can i be this excited about reed? have you watched him play? he was a few takeaways (including fumble recoveries) from averaging 1 a game. he had 3 tds. he put the offense in position to score religiously. in the ravens scheme he isnt supposed to tackle every play....he is a ball hawk. ill take a player who gets a couple of less tackles a game but can break a game open anyday.

and did you really just compare him to a special teamer? come on man....are you just messing with me? :-b

youve got to be a steelers fan. !+)

Hey - us Steeler fans have to face him twice a year (3 times this year!), I have a very healthy respect for him!!!

...and he's fun to watch! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Honestly I think I'd probably take Ed Reed over any defensive player in the league. The reason being is that pass rushers are pretty much a dime a dozen, but a ball hawking safety that can create NEARLY a turnover a game is something very special. On the other side of that token however, Reed probably wouldn't be nearly as adept at creating turnovers if the Ravens weren't excellent at rushing the passer and forcing quarterbacks into drastic measures just to try to complete a pass. So I don't know, being a homer I might take Demarcus Ware over him, but Ware would probably be the only one.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:57 am

...and the Steelers reward him by tearing up his old contract and signing him to a new deal:

Harrison signs new six-year deal with Steelers
Posted: April 13th, 2009 |
NFL.com Staff | Tags: James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison signed a six-year deal Monday worth $51.7 million with $20 million guaranteed, according to his agent, Bill Parise.

The new contract begins this season and voids the final year of Harrison’s existing contract. Harrison was selected the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2008.

Harrison helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII on Feb. 1 by intercepting a Kurt Warner pass and returning it 100 yards for a touchdown. It was the longest play in Super Bowl history and capped Harrison’s best NFL season, in which he led the league with seven forced fumbles and set a Steelers record with 16 sacks. Harrison also ranked second on the team with 101 tackles.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/news/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 am

stomperrob wrote:...and the Steelers reward him by tearing up his old contract and signing him to a new deal:

Harrison signs new six-year deal with Steelers
Posted: April 13th, 2009 |
NFL.com Staff | Tags: James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison signed a six-year deal Monday worth $51.7 million with $20 million guaranteed, according to his agent, Bill Parise.

The new contract begins this season and voids the final year of Harrison’s existing contract. Harrison was selected the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2008.

Harrison helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII on Feb. 1 by intercepting a Kurt Warner pass and returning it 100 yards for a touchdown. It was the longest play in Super Bowl history and capped Harrison’s best NFL season, in which he led the league with seven forced fumbles and set a Steelers record with 16 sacks. Harrison also ranked second on the team with 101 tackles.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/news/

He isn't a Steal any more. He is a Steel for 6 years though.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to Football Talk