America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock

Moderator: Football Moderators

America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock

Postby treat24 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 am

Cities with over 250,000 population... based on newspaper circulation, number of bookstores, library resources, periodical publishing resources, educational attainment, and Internet resources.

Top Ten:

tie 1- Minneapolis, MN
tie 1- Seattle, WA
Washington DC
St Paul, MN
San Francisco, CA
Atlanta, GA
Denver, CO
Boston, MA
St Louis, MO
Cincinnati, OH
Portland, OR

Bottom Ten:

Santa Ana, CA
Arlington, TX
San Antonio, TX
Glendale, AZ
Aurora, CO
Anaheim, CA
Bakersfield, CA
Corpus Christi, TX
Stockton, CA
El Paso, TX

http://www.ccsu.edu/amlc08/default.htm

The Twin Cities are normally on a lot of top ten lists; cleanest, quality of living, etc etc ... but both are high on this list, heard it this morning on the radio... and I recognized a lot of the cities as places cafers live.

Looking at the list... my 2 cents on why some of the low ranked cities got low rankings... immigration perhaps? Texas and California all over that bottom 10...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:42 am

treat24 wrote:
Top Ten:
Portland, OR

Bottom Ten:
Stockton, CA

Way to go Met ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 am

That's funny, Dream - that's the first thing I noticed, too. :-b

Minny is a nice town. The couple if times I was there were pleasant experiences (minus the boring 10-7 Vikes victory over my Bears). The one drawback is the cold half the year. I don't know what winter is like over there, but in Nebraska everything just gets really dirty. Gray and dirt. Blah.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:50 am

treat24 wrote:Looking at the list... my 2 cents on why some of the low ranked cities got low rankings... immigration perhaps? Texas and California all over that bottom 10...

I would probably lean more towards education and poverty being causes and not necessarily immigration. I think weather is also a major contributing factor. People are often inside more in the Northern States.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:54 am

well first off -- Well done greater St. Louis area, we rock.

secondly, I don't wanna sound mean, but is it just me or do those bottom 10 sound like cities with high mexican populations? yes. yes they do. kick 'em out. I'm just saying.

edit:

O I didn't realize Treat had already pointed it out.

Looking at the list... my 2 cents on why some of the low ranked cities got low rankings... immigration perhaps? Texas and California all over that bottom 10...
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:59 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:secondly, I don't wanna sound mean, but is it just me or do those bottom 10 sound like cities with high mexican populations? yes. yes they do. kick 'em out. I'm just saying.

You put your foot in your mouth so many times it's not even funny anymore, man. Are you choosing to ignore the waves upon waves upon waves of illiterate European immigrants these two centuries past? How are they any different than Hispanics? Today the descendents of those Europeans are our leaders - the Kennedys, the Bushs, the Rockefellers, the Knapps... the list is too long to put here. But because TODAY we have illiterate Mexicans coming in, we have to kick them out?

I know you're a kid, but you really, really need to wise up.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am

knapplc wrote:Today the descendents of those Europeans are our leaders - the Kennedys, the Bushs, the Rockefellers, the Knapps...

8-o

:-o

:-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Tyeattolah » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am

Wow, St Louis in Top 10! Maybe the Rams could start reading their playbooks! O:-) 8-o :-D
Last edited by Tyeattolah on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 am

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:Looking at the list... my 2 cents on why some of the low ranked cities got low rankings... immigration perhaps? Texas and California all over that bottom 10...

I would probably lean more towards education and poverty being causes and not necessarily immigration. I think weather is also a major contributing factor. People are often inside more in the Northern States.

some good points on education and poverty... The twin cities usually have a very low poverty rate. For awhile we had the nation's lowest level of unemployment (employed people generally have some money coming in...) so that would make sense.

I'm not sure how much more we stay inside though... I'm not positive I can agree with that part... I'm thinking it might be a misconception from the rest of the country looking at a state where our average daily high temp (average for the year) is about 10 degrees... A few years ago a commercial said it was 7 degrees. We get out a lot... lots of outdoor activities... and remember Minnesotans go out on walks in zero degree weather, People from other states would stay inside. On TMZ the other day they were talking about it being freezing and 40 degrees... In the 40s I take off the hoodie and wear just a tshirt. Driving home from work I saw not one, not two, but three people out on walks with headphones on just strollin' ... This was yesterday and it was less than 10 degrees out. We can handle the cold. Personally... If I moved to Florida right now I would be inside all the time because my body is made to handle cold weather not warm... when it gets over 70 degrees out... I stay inside unless there's a nice breeze. To be fair... 70 degrees in MN is like 438 degrees in Arizona or Texas... I think that's about the ratio :-b Damn humidity... We've adapted to this weather and go ice fishing in it, run in it, go on walks, play pond hockey, etc etc... I can't say for certain, since I live here and have my whole life... but we get out a lot.

I know your wife is from here... maybe she has a better perspective... or maybe I'm just more active than many Minnesotans
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Tyeattolah » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 am

knapplc wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:secondly, I don't wanna sound mean, but is it just me or do those bottom 10 sound like cities with high mexican populations? yes. yes they do. kick 'em out. I'm just saying.

You put your foot in your mouth so many times it's not even funny anymore, man. Are you choosing to ignore the waves upon waves upon waves of illiterate European immigrants these two centuries past? How are they any different than Hispanics? Today the descendents of those Europeans are our leaders - the Kennedys, the Bushs, the Rockefellers, the Knapps... the list is too long to put here. But because TODAY we have illiterate Mexicans coming in, we have to kick them out?

I know you're a kid, but you really, really need to wise up.

I'm pretty sure FFG13 didn't mean it literally.

We still have a lot of European immigrants coming into the States. There are some cities in the Eastern US that really surpised me being as high as they were...Charlotte for one. Huge German population as well as a siginificant mix of others. In my humble opinion, this all boils down to school systems and the emphasis placed on literacy by the state governments.

Bottom line, literacy rates will be lower where there is a significant influx of non-english speaking people. Points to the need to invest in our education efforts across the country!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk