America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: America’s Top10 Most Literate Cities... Hey NFL Fan, we rock

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:I can attest to Anaheim and Santa Ana. I grew up within 10 miles of both of those cities. Both of those cities went from nice average income cities to slums in about 15-20 years. Santa Ana is where Mater Dei is at who is always a great HS football team. The housing value in the whole area was staying even when others were sky rocketing earlier this decade. It smells bad. Front yards are not mowed. 15 people a household. 10 cars (8 broken down) in each driveway. Noone speaks English. Its just bad.

FFG is right. It is law that a US citizen must know and understand the English language. Street signs are in English. 911 Speaks English. This isn't a bowl of Stew its a melting pot. You conform to the standards of the place you are immigrating to. The nationality doesn't matter. If the US continues to allow people to immigrate here and tell us how things are going to be with a hand out at the same time, we are doomed. Mass confusion.

There is a reason why all these are illiterate cities. They don't know English whis is America's standard for literacy.

This belief that America has an "official language" is funny. Not only does America NOT have an official language, this omission is not an accident. The Founding Fathers lived in colonies filled with non-English-speaking immigrants from every corner of Europe, yet they chose NOT to declare an official language. Ever wonder why that is?

Here's a hint - it has to do with the whole "melting pot" concept.

Think about it.

I never said we had an official language I just said it makes things much less complicated if we do have one language. Having street signs in 10 languages is not my idea of fun or safe. Those coming here need to learn and understand the language. It is one of the requirements to become a citizen and there is a reason for that. If we deviate from that law we just open the door for chaos.

I don't care if they speak another language while here. I just care about them knowing and understanding the US language.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:I can attest to Anaheim and Santa Ana. I grew up within 10 miles of both of those cities. Both of those cities went from nice average income cities to slums in about 15-20 years. Santa Ana is where Mater Dei is at who is always a great HS football team. The housing value in the whole area was staying even when others were sky rocketing earlier this decade. It smells bad. Front yards are not mowed. 15 people a household. 10 cars (8 broken down) in each driveway. Noone speaks English. Its just bad.

FFG is right. It is law that a US citizen must know and understand the English language. Street signs are in English. 911 Speaks English. This isn't a bowl of Stew its a melting pot. You conform to the standards of the place you are immigrating to. The nationality doesn't matter. If the US continues to allow people to immigrate here and tell us how things are going to be with a hand out at the same time, we are doomed. Mass confusion.

There is a reason why all these are illiterate cities. They don't know English whis is America's standard for literacy.

This belief that America has an "official language" is funny. Not only does America NOT have an official language, this omission is not an accident. The Founding Fathers lived in colonies filled with non-English-speaking immigrants from every corner of Europe, yet they chose NOT to declare an official language. Ever wonder why that is?

Think about it.

But over 30 states I believe have passed laws making it the official language. And I'm sure more will follow soon.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Postby joejlitz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:21 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Think about it.

But over 30 states I believe have passed laws making it the official language. And I'm sure more will follow soon.

It will be a law without teeth. There will be no enforcement. And you'll still be pressing 1 for English. Stores will still have English and Spanish on their signs. The government will stay use your tax dollars to pay for bilingual employees to service non-English speaking immigrants (legal and illegal).

If might make some people feel better to say that English is the official language, but the tangible differences in how we live will be few, IMO.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:12 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Think about it.

And it's pretty unfortunate, when, as knapp said, it's not an accident that this country doesn't have an official language.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 am

Speaking of literacy, didn't we have a thread about what books we were reading... :-?
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:12 am

Tyeattolah wrote:Speaking of literacy, didn't we have a thread about what books we were reading... :-?

Yep ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks, I glanced through about 9 pages and must have overlooked it! Dang, I might lower the St Louis rating if I keep this up! :-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk