BC Fires Coach Jags for Interviewing with Jets - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

BC Fires Coach Jags for Interviewing with Jets

Moderator: Football Moderators

BC Fires Coach Jags for Interviewing with Jets

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:57 pm

BOSTON -- Boston College fired Jeff Jagodzinski on Wednesday, one day after he interviewed for the New York Jets coaching job.

Athletic director Gene DeFilippo had warned Jagodzinski on Saturday that his job would be in jeopardy if he went through with the Jets interview. Jagodzinski met with the Jets on Tuesday night.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3816644
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: BC Fires Coach Jags for Interviewing with Jets

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm fine with it. They gave him warning and he did it anyway. He deserved to be fired.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:13 pm

I personally think that BC did the right thing. The guys heart is not with BC if he is going to seek interviews with other teams.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm fine with it. They gave him warning and he did it anyway. He deserved to be fired.

Would your job fire you if you interviewed for another, better job?

I bet that if you were performing at your job your place of employment wouldn't mind as long as they had the opportunity to speak with you and make a counter-offer before you made a decision.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:38 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm fine with it. They gave him warning and he did it anyway. He deserved to be fired.

I bet that if you were performing at your job your place of employment wouldn't mind as long as they had the opportunity to speak with you and make a counter-offer before you made a decision.

That was my thoughts as well. I understand that they told him not too and they were burned by O'Brien, but the guy was interviewing for an NFL job, which is the highest thing a person can do in his profession. Anyone else in the country that did this would not have been fired because you wouldn't have to make it public that you are interviewing for another job.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:

If your employer warned you that if you interview for that better job you will be fired would you be upset or surprised?

I thought I heard there was some language in his contract about him not being able to interview for other jobs. If that was case then he knew what the consequences were for doing so. It is pretty harsh though.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Metroid wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

If your employer warned you that if you interview for that better job you will be fired would you be upset or surprised?

I thought I heard there was some language in his contract about him not being able to interview for other jobs. If that was case then he knew what the consequences were for doing so. It is pretty harsh though.

I doubt it is in his contract because that would be close to being illegal because the courts like people to feel they are free to contract with whoever. If it was though then the contract controls and he knew.

Like I said though, any other job and your employer never knows you even interviewed.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

I doubt it is in his contract because that would be close to being illegal because the courts like people to feel they are free to contract with whoever. If it was though then the contract controls and he knew.

Like I said though, any other job and your employer never knows you even interviewed.

Yeah again I'm not sure it did, just something I thought I heard. And again it's pretty harsh.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 am

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard from someone who was fired for interviewing for other jobs I'd have at least $.50 by now. This happens to people in regular jobs, too.

In this case, they flat-out told him not to do the interview, especially since they just signed him to an extension what? Last year? I can see their point, and if I were them I'd think his heart wasn't in the job.

He'll be fine. He'll get an assistant's gig somewhere and he'll have income, and he'll get another head coaching gig in a year, maybe less. I think this actually hurts the college more than Jags. They're the ones dealing with a whole team's worth of upheaval after this. It's a tough bullet to bite if you're the school.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 am

knapplc wrote:In this case, they flat-out told him not to do the interview, especially since they just signed him to an extension what? Last year? I can see their point, and if I were them I'd think his heart wasn't in the job.

I think you have to realize who you are as well. You're Boston College. If you get a great coach, he's not sticking around. This isn't a Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, best job situation. Even at those jobs people leave for the NFL.

I don't like the "heart wasn't in the job" quote. You're talking about getting a better and higher paying job. I don't care what my "heart" says, I'd take the better and higher paying job all day.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to College Football