Yellowstone 'supervolcano' ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Yellowstone 'supervolcano' ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yellowstone 'supervolcano' ?

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:12 pm

I've seen this story in the news a couple times this week. Geez! I'm not into, "the sky is falling," but if anything like this were to happen...

:-o

Apparently there have been 500+ earthquakes in the area in the last week or so and they're saying that the possibility of a massive volcano is a very real concern.

http://people.uwec.edu/ERICKSKM/hazards.html

Along with the earthquake threats Yellowstone faces on a daily basis, if ever there was a volcanic eruption the size of those in Yellowstone's history the effects would be devastating for the United States and it would effect the entire world. Such predictions are hard to envision but with the ongoing activity geologists have been observing we can only presume that Yellowstone will erupt once again.

A super-eruption has the potential to cover the United States in 3 feet of ash from a plume. Pyroclastic flow would engulf the greater part of three states, and there is evidence that the last major 'super' eruption plunged the world into a freezing, volcanic winter that lasted a decade. An eruption would devastate world agriculture, severely effect the distribution of food and cause mass famine.

Last edited by Nfl Fan on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yellowstone 'supervolcano' ?

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 pm

I have heard of this a few times myself. Kinda creepy really, the fact that they are predicting this to happen sometime relatively soon-ish.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm right on the edge of the "fallout zone"......phew. :-°

:-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:14 pm

I've been reading about those mini-quakes and have also read about the consequences of a major eruption. It would be a cataclysm.

While it's not a meteor or comet impact, we're basically due for a catastrophic event either way. Every 70,000 years or so, and we're approaching the next 70k landmark, Earth seems to suffer some mass event.

Metroid became a mod, so maybe we can skip forward 70,000 years. :-B
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I've been reading about those mini-quakes and have also read about the consequences of a major eruption. It would be a cataclysm.

While it's not a meteor or comet impact, we're basically due for a catastrophic event either way. Every 70,000 years or so, and we're approaching the next 70k landmark, Earth seems to suffer some mass event.

Metroid became a mod, so maybe we can skip forward 70,000 years. :-B

Dude I hope so....I finally went back to school and am enjoying it so far, I don't want the world to end yet....well at least not till finals. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Any of those in the blast area can come to my place for a 6er, room and board.

Very good find. I'll be willing to bet someone is making a movie about it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby eagles21 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Going on vacation to Utah President's Day weekend. Hopefully the supervolcano doesn't erupt while I'm there. :-o :-)
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Any of those in the blast area can come to my place for a 6er, room and board.

Very good find. I'll be willing to bet someone is making a movie about it.

that's what I'm sayin' dude, I live in Missouri, so I don't know why you'd wanna come here, but it's gotta be better than volcanic fallout. :-b

Wonder how big the zone is for people that would feel the earth shake, I remember feeling that earthquake in Illinois earlier this year and that awoke me from my extremely deep slumber, can't even imagine this one. 8-o
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Well, if there's one saving grace, it's that Utah is entirely within the blast zone.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:17 am

Will it happen eventually? Most certainly. In our lifetimes? Possibly, but not likely. From Discovery Channel, second page of the article. It doesn't sound like this is expected to happen for quite a while.

Though Yellowstone could erupt again someday, there is no evidence that the caldera is readying for another massive blast, says Smith. That outlook is shared by Jake Lowenstern, the U.S. Geological Survey's lead geologist at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

Volcanologists with the U.S. Geological Survey believe that supervolcanoes are likely to give decades — even centuries — of warning signs before they erupt. The scientists think those signs would include lots of earthquakes, massive bulging of the land, an increase in small eruptions, "swarms" of earthquakes in specific areas, changes in the chemical composition of lavas from smaller eruptions, changes in gasses escaping the ground and, possibly, large-scale cracking of the land.

None of those indicators are present at Yellowstone, says Smith.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to General Talk