Week 19 GC: Philadelphia @ N.Y. Giants - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 19 GC: Philadelphia @ N.Y. Giants

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 19 GC: Philadelphia @ N.Y. Giants

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 pm

joejlitz wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Here's the Eagles we haven't seen in a few weeks. How easily people forgot their goose egg against the Skins when they put up three points in a game everyone assumed they had to win to stay in the playoff race.

With the way things are going, the Giants should win this one easily.

:-b :-D :-b :-D

They had 34 total yards and were only in the game because of their defense until the last drive of the first half, which happened after my post. Had the Eagles continued to struggle so much offensively, they would've lost. But they got some momentum from that last drive, and the Giants self-destructed.

You can't tell me you were feeling optimistic about Philly's chances until that last drive of the first half.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:39 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Here's the Eagles we haven't seen in a few weeks. How easily people forgot their goose egg against the Skins when they put up three points in a game everyone assumed they had to win to stay in the playoff race.

With the way things are going, the Giants should win this one easily.

:-b :-D :-b :-D

They had 34 total yards and were only in the game because of their defense until the last drive of the first half, which happened after my post. Had the Eagles continued to struggle so much offensively, they would've lost. But they got some momentum from that last drive, and the Giants self-destructed.

You can't tell me you were feeling optimistic about Philly's chances until that last drive of the first half.

Sure I was. Cautiously optimistic and like every other Philly fan, not trying to jinx anything - so I had to sit in the same chair, everything had to be in the same place, wife couldn't leave the kitchen for the 2nd quarter, etc.

The biggest tell tale sign for me - and the point at which I BELIEVED we could win, was on the Giants first drive when I saw how Manning's girly arm was keeping him from accurate throws downfield. Then he threw that INT for a TD and I honestly expected to see a lot more turn overs as a result of the wind and the Eagles excellent job of bottling up the NYG run when it mattered most. Sure Jacobs ended up posting nice stats (I think - hadn't checked yet), but we stopped the run on 1st and 2nd downs and constantly put the G-Men in 3rd and longs - they ended up going 3-13 on 3rd down. That just plain sucks.

So - long story short - I was cautiously optimistic.

And how about those 4th and 1 stops! Twice in the 4th quarter! I love this defense!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby eagles21 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:50 pm

joejlitz wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:
joejlitz wrote: :-b :-D :-b :-D

Sure I was. Cautiously optimistic and like every other Philly fan, not trying to jinx anything - so I had to sit in the same chair, everything had to be in the same place, wife couldn't leave the kitchen for the 2nd quarter, etc.

The biggest tell tale sign for me - and the point at which I BELIEVED we could win, was on the Giants first drive when I saw how Manning's girly arm was keeping him from accurate throws downfield. Then he threw that INT for a TD and I honestly expected to see a lot more turn overs as a result of the wind and the Eagles excellent job of bottling up the NYG run when it mattered most. Sure Jacobs ended up posting nice stats (I think - hadn't checked yet), but we stopped the run on 1st and 2nd downs and constantly put the G-Men in 3rd and longs - they ended up going 3-13 on 3rd down. That just plain sucks.

So - long story short - I was cautiously optimistic.

And how about those 4th and 1 stops! Twice in the 4th quarter! I love this defense!

Yeah, I was optimistic too. I knew that our defense was going to have to keep us in the game, but I had a feeling that we would break out of the offensive funk eventually.

By the way, I think this might be one of the best defensive units the Eagles have ever had. The linebackers have really matured over the season, and Bradley has become an elite MLB. Our line is still solid. Asante was worth every cent. The guy just knows how to make plays, which is something our D has lacked the past few years. just love all the guys, and the best part is, they're a young group, led by the master, Brian Dawkins.

This team is special. They have played different then the past playoff Eagle's teams. They seem like they are on a mission this year, where as they expected to win the other years. I'm ecstatic for Sunday, and hopefully, for February 1st.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Wow! That's a big statement right there about this defense. I think they are excellent and border line awesome. One of the best ever? Maybe...but I'm not sure. For me the best in my lifetime will always be the team of the early 90s (see my sig!). Andre Waters, Jerome Brown, Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, and the rest!

As for Bradley - he's a favorite of mine, too. I would like to see him cover a little better during pass plays. I suppose that's being a little picky, though.

And how good has Jason Avant been converting 3rd downs in the playoffs? Lovin' it!!!! 3rd and 20 today! ;-D ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 am

Great D play by the Iggles, but the Giunts did make it easier. If I am a DC I would tell my team the way to stop Jacobs is to make him run laterally. And how many times did we see them run outside plays with Jacobs? Couldn't figure that out any more than I could asking Eli to get a yard when Jacobs is rarely stopped that soon.

Didn't it seem like the Carogina and the Giunts both gave up was too soon on rushing the ball? Bad year for coaching.

Congrats Iggles fans! One win away. Really solid job by the D. Should be interesting to see if they can run against a suddenly stout Cards D.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting